Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds Difference between a rumble and a purr?

JonLovesGP

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone. I have learned a vast amount of knowledge concerning guinea pigs from this forum. It has been very helpful. But I'm still a little confused about the differences between a rumble and a purr. I've found mixed comments about both. Some say purring is good and some say purring is bad. Same with the rumble sound. I have also found that some people think the rumble sound is a purr and the purr is the rumble. I just need help sorting out the two sounds. What they mean and what they sound like. Thanks :)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Good luck trying to figure it out.

I'm one of those who don't believe guinea pigs purr, as in a positive sound.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Good luck trying to figure it out.

I'm one of those who don't believe guinea pigs purr, as in a positive sound.

I have to agree with you. I think it's either a dominance sound or a sound they make when they're annoyed. I don't think they like being tickled or having their fur rubbed the wrong way. I also think they don't like being pet on their hind ends. I think it's their way of asking us to stop what we're doing. I think wheeks and popcorning are the way they tell us they're happy or excited about something.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone. I have learned a vast amount of knowledge concerning guinea pigs from this forum. It has been very helpful. But I'm still a little confused about the differences between a rumble and a purr. I've found mixed comments about both. Some say purring is good and some say purring is bad. Same with the rumble sound. I have also found that some people think the rumble sound is a purr and the purr is the rumble. I just need help sorting out the two sounds. What they mean and what they sound like. Thanks :)

I am so glad that you brought this up !! I have been trying to figure out the same thing, for the last 3 months that I have enjoyed my two girls ! :confused: I can't wait to see what many others think about purring too. I know that I have heard my girls ( mostly Cuddles) purr in annoyance, like they are saying, "go away, and leave me alone", but I have wondered if they do happily "purr" too.

KateandOscar

Cavy Slave
Well, im not sure about this, because my baby will "purr" when I pet him, but when I pick him up he wheeks because he doesnt like it. He has a softer wheek when he doesnt like something, and a very loud one when he wants food, then there is his purr or rumble thing he does, which usually happens when he's getting pet...that or he wheeks a bit too. Im also wondering about this, because its a bit confusing as he never rumbles/purrs when he is annoyed at me, he wheeks...

pinky

Cavy Slave
Well, im not sure about this, because my baby will "purr" when I pet him, but when I pick him up he wheeks because he doesnt like it. He has a softer wheek when he doesnt like something, and a very loud one when he wants food, then there is his purr or rumble thing he does, which usually happens when he's getting pet...that or he wheeks a bit too. Im also wondering about this, because its a bit confusing as he never rumbles/purrs when he is annoyed at me, he wheeks...

If one of mine gets nipped by another, it sends out a louder wheek which is almost like a scream. It's more abrupt than the wheeking they do when they want food. If I gently pet mine on the head or bridge of their noses, they make a quiet squeak, almost like cooing. They seem to like that. They don't seem to like being pet on their backs or any petting that is too rough or with the tips of the fingers. That's when they make the purring, or what I call growling, sounds. I think they probably associate that with other guinea pigs jumping on their backs and showing dominance to them.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Piggie People,

Will more of you share, please, about what your experiences have been with the rumble/purr noises and what you think about them ?? Please guys, I just don't want this thread to run cold, like another one did, when Suppermissdeedee posted "anyone laugh when they see their pigs?" I was really disappointed honestly, that more people didn't respond to that one, you know ? I really love hearing all the good things too, the funny things from you,along with the facts, the losses, and all the other important ways in which we can take the best care for our guinea pigs.

I know and agree that the "fun type stuff" regarding piggies aren't as important, but what about sharing all the fun adorable ways in which what makes us love them so ? Or understand them, better ? Please don't get mad at me for asking, I do understand about how busy many of us are, and I do understand. However, if you can post a little bit, if you have time, it would be so nice to hear from you ! :)

chubbypiggies

Cavy Slave
I think purring is a happy sound because when I pet my pigs, they would let out a long purr and lay down on the ground looking extremely relaxed. And I've also noticed that they purr when they get scared, like by a sudden sound. They would run to their hidey placed all cuddled up with each other and give out a very short purrs continuously.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Well, if they are scared, it's not a happy sound, right? Like when my rabbits are startled and they thump, ad huddle together thumping periodically.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
I think purring is a happy sound because when I pet my pigs, they would let out a long purr and lay down on the ground looking extremely relaxed. And I've also noticed that they purr when they get scared, like by a sudden sound. They would run to their hidey placed all cuddled up with each other and give out a very short purrs continuously.

Yeah...maybe, maybe my piggies aren't comfortable yet enough with me, to vocalize this lonnnng purr. I have read others ( as well as other reputable sites, that we all love and respect) comment on this. It's like a steady low purr sound almost, right ? Yes, I have heard of this. I have yet to hear it though. Sigh. :guilty:

YOU LUCKY PIGGIE PARENT !! Is all I can say. :cheerful:

Hiding when they hear a sudden noise, I can certainly understand. They are "prey animals" after all. But, the long purring sound, that is a really contented piggie, right ?!??

chubbypiggies

Cavy Slave
Ya, I think although they are all purring sounds, your can tell whether they are content or not by their reaction. Like if they look relaxed while being petted and purring then it's probably a happy sound. but if they go into hiding and purrs, it probably means otherwise. I guess it depends on the length? maybe? also, I think if they're not happy with you touching them they would probably run away right? so generally I think if they purr while being petted they're pretty happy =). my pigs always let me know when they don't like being touched a certain way by nudging my hand away or squeaking at me hehe lol

linshad02

Cavy Slave
Alice is going to be 9 weeks old. I will have had her for 5 weeks on Saturday.
I spend a lot of time with her. If I sing her name repeatedly, she does zoomies and popcorns a lot. When I use the cardboard toilet paper roll against the fleece, to scoop up the poos, she popcorns so much that she startles herself. She also does this when I rustle the hay. When I want to pick her up, I sort of follow her with my hand. She usually stops moving and I get her. When she absolutely doesnt want to be picked up, she lightly nips and she makes a high pitched squeal. I leave her alone when she does this.
The purr/rumble for me is pretty clear.
I have her out for lap time every night. She has her own spot on the couch. I usually give her a little towel to hide under. She also sits on my chest. When I talk to her or rub her from behind her ear all the way to her butt, she will make a rolling purr and stretch out until both of her legs are behind her and she is flat as a pancake. Her most common noise is this almost robotic squeak. I call it the pacman. She does it when she is laying on my chest. As soon as she sees my daughter, she snuggles in with her and makes that noise. I have been told it is contentment.

jenga122

Cavy Slave

When my wife pets Shelby, she will lay down while giving a soft purr or rumble but it seems soothing. When I pet her she gives a little different rumble and does not relax at all. It definitely seems like two different sounds and actions. Sometimes when I pet her she will just sit there and humor me.

Our other two pigs aren't near as generous with their petting time. The older one will let you pet her as long as you are giving her something to eat and the youngest one will let you barely touch her when eating a pepper out of your hand but she will take a bite and then go away until she is done chewing. You can sneak a quick pet in but she doesn't seem to desire it at all. No noises, but she won't just sit there either.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Alice is going to be 9 weeks old. I will have had her for 5 weeks on Saturday.
If I sing her name repeatedly, she does zoomies and popcorns a lot.

linshad02- My girl Buttercup does the same thing !:D

When I talk to her or rub her from behind her ear all the way to her butt, she will make a rolling purr and stretch out until both of her legs are behind her and she is flat as a pancake.

linshad02--Buttercup lays out with both feet out in back when I pet/rub her, ( she likes all kinds of petting, but a gentle, firm kind of a full body massage type rub, from her ears all the way back is her favorite !) She doesn't make those loong purrs though, but it is obvious to me that she enjoys that at lap time.:heart:

Camerafreak

Cavy Slave
As for my experience my pigs don't purr out of happiness. My pigs may purr while I pet them but you can tell its more of a "don't pet my hair that way" kind of pur, because they stiffen up like they're on gaurd. This happens with momma Charlie and the baby boys because they're all aby's. My pigs also purr when they hear a loud noise either on my tv or when my phone rings. I think that's them telling me that the sound is hurting their ears. I know that when my pigs are happy or want something they will wheek at me and run around excitedly. Although it may be different with different pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.