0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Guinea Pigs Not Moving Much and Keep Hiding

Hi,

I got two new guinea pigs about a week plus ago. One is 6 months old (MoonMoon) and the other is 3 months (MinMin).

Up to yesterday, they had been fine, always very excited to come to the side of the cage the moment they heard the rustle of plastic bags, etc. They will be very enthusiastic in grabbing whatever fresh veggies I have handed out to them and will finish them very fast. I gave them a cup of vegetables twice a day consisting of romaine lettuce and green peppers mostly, mixed with treats such as carrots, tomatoes and cucumbers once in a while.

However, yesterday I had been cleaning my house and I think the sound of my vacuum cleaner sort of scared them. Then to make things worse, I had to bring them to the vet a few hours later on, where there were a lot of dogs barking. They were obviously terrified while at the vet and refused to even eat their wheatgrass, which they usually love and eat the moment I handed it out.

So ever since they got back, both of them have been running into their tunnels to hide and when I peeked inside once in a while, they are either resting or sleeping. They haven't been running as usual and when I gave out the lettuce and peppers today, they did not finish them but instead ate lots of the pellets. Also, MoonMoon has been moving slowly and shaking her body from time to time (accompanied by a low, rumbling sound) and kept brushing her body against MinMin. Their stool looks normal and they have been urinating...I am just concerned about them looking listless and uninterested in the fresh veggies (they were however very enthusiastic about eating carrots and cucumber). What could be wrong?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    272 Rec'd/235 Posts

Re: Guinea Pigs Not Moving Much and Keep Hiding

Will you be mad if I say I giggled and laughed from the pit of my belly while reading your post ? Please don't. I mean no disrespect. It's just, that I have been up all night and your post hit me funny. There have just been so many posts questioning this same behavior, and though it is new to you, it is not new at all.

Your sweet piggie is just rumblestrutting, displaying dominance. ( according to your description) Look at the links here on these wonderful web sites that provide us all with the most accurate up-to-date information on medical criteria and behavior characteristics. Her are the sites that you can just "click" on below.

http:// guinealynx.com
    http:// cavyspirit.com

Some others might be available that I am not aware of though. However, these two are the best I can offer you. Hope it helps you out, like it did me, and STILL DOES.

P.S. You know what ? Tonight I had to take mine in to a an exotics vet and while waiting a dog barked ( along with all the bells that go off, which is upsetting of course to their heightened sense of hearing), besides the fact of not knowing what the heck is going on !! Imagine for a moment. You have "supposedly" a loving big alien something or other( from their perspective) take you suddenly, from your cage/comfortable home, into a box/carrier into cold air, then into somewhat warmer air ( your car) and then TA-Dah, into bright lights, strange scary noises, and prodded and inspected ect. and then FINALLY. You are back home, in your safe environment/cage whatever.

They are exhausted from the stress of it all. That's all. They are foragers, so they will eat when they feel up to it. Don't worry, they will be fine. Especially if you took them to a vet you trust, and is an exotics cavvy savvy vet ! Don't you worry. Between ( now come'on, you must laugh at the picture) your "vacuuming" and their vet visit...wouldn't YOU be afraid to come out of your hidey ? ( heehheee) Please please don't be mad at me for chuckling, I need all the friends I can get on here !!

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

I'm sorry if the question I have asked have been asked before but yea, I am new to the whole business of owning guinea pigs and I have heard that they go downhill quickly, so I was concerned. Imagine that you are having them for the very first time, wouldn't you be? :)

Thanks a lot for the advice, though. They do set me at ease. They are now eating their veggies although still hiding in their tunnels and running away at the slightest sound. I think I will give them some time to get readjusted to the 'safe' environment.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    272 Rec'd/235 Posts

Ohhh nooo...I DID NOT mean to make you feel that way. I am SO very SORRY. Sigh. I am new too...just, I just. NO EXCUSE. I made you feel bad for even asking a very understandable question. Please, forgive me ! Sigh.

P.S. I have only been a slave to piggies for 3 months honey. I didn't mean to come off like that. I am sorry.

P.S.S. DO you know how many questions I have asked that have been answered before 10 million times ? No question is a BAD question. I was in a funny/weird mood that is all I promise.

YOU ARE RIGHT in that if they distribute certain character specifics, ( too many to count though) especially if the have a URI (upper respiratory infection) they do go down hill very fast. From what you have described though, I think they are just scared still.
    Last edited by kathlaaron; 03-13-11 at 07:20 am.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

It's alright...we are all here to learn after all :) How old are your piggies?

I just weighed them earlier on and they seem to be maintaining their weight from yesterday. MinMin - 380g and MoonMoon - 580g. Will continue to monitor for the rest of the week until their behaviour returns to normal again.

User Tag List