Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Who doesn't clip their bedding?

LillySadie

Cavy Slave
I had been clipping the fleece (w/ mattress pad sewn to it) to the sides of the tray, and it was working well...until I decided to move my 1x2 loft to next to the 2x4 main level...which means I had to cut part of my tray to make the opening into the kitchen. That wasn't so bad, except I also had to cut some of my fleece so they could get from the kitchen to the rest of the cage.

Well, now, the girls have decided that they want to squeeze between the little opening that there is where the fleece is not clipped to the sides off the tray (going vertical, no way to clip), and they are getting between the fleece and the tray. Of course, the fleece is clipped in all other places, and they're getting stuck. :(

So, would it be alright to just cut back the extra fleece, and make it so that the liner just lays in the bottom of the tray, with nothing going up the sides?

Thanks!

catzeye21138

Cavy Slave
When I used fleece, I had it cut to fit the tray exactly. You could also use bricks to hold down the fleece.

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
Keep in mind if you have bricks going all the way around the perimeter it will take away from lap running space!

Leahfaithmt

Cavy Slave
I made a bedspread out of fleece and a matress pad and I have it sized to fit the tray exactly (just on the bottom of the tray). I've had no problems - other then a few droppings falling below the bedspread (on the sides). I haven't used anything to hold down the fleece, and it stays in place. We're getting a new piggie, so I'm hoping he does as good as the one we have.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
I tuck my fleece under the UHaul blankets. The new girls bug me because Carrie leads them under. I've got bricks around it until they forget to go under. Years ago my other girls used to go under and then suddenly they stopped.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
LillySadie--I tried checking out your profile to get a glimpse of what your cage and fleece look like, but it was taking forever to load, so I have a question. Is there any way you could post a picture of your cage so I could get a better idea of what you mean ?

I had heard a lot from other members on here who had major problems with burrowing under fleece, so when I got my C &C cage I made sure to order extra yards of fleece. I buy 3 yards so that I can make the fleece go all the way up and over the sides of coroplast in their cage. I do have a few clips now in the corners, but that is all. Here is a picture of what I mean when I say all the way up and over ( there is like 6 inches hanging over the other side) here below:

I hope I helped a bit ! I usually buy my fleece when it goes on sale at joannes fabric's or Hancock fabrics stores online. For their 2x2 hayloft, (which I have recently moved way back, almost off the bottom level, because it was getting way too difficult for me to clean under the hayloft. So, I moved it nearly off the bottom level firmly supported by heavy stacked crates and a square piece of wood underneath as well. This has made cleaning their cage SO MUCH easier !

Good luck and have a great day !

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
I just remembered something else, well two things actually.

1. Some people use those flat kitchen tiles instead of bricks to hold fleece down, and that way they aren't at all inhibited when they run and do their laps.

2. From the photo gallery, there is someone who used really wide ( like 3 or 4 inches wide) velcro and attaches it in one strip all around the base for her fleece liner to attach to. She even posted instructions on how she made that as well as her lovely wooden cage. Marito or something like that is her name. You might have seen her lovely cage, she also made an awesome plaque with her piggies names on it..they were Candy and Cherry. Hey ! I found it ! Here is a picture below !!

velcro-fleece1.jpg
Candy Cherry home
velcro-fleece1.jpg

Last edited:

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Mariatito is the members name (up above) in case you wanted to look up her cage instructions and how she did the fleece liner with velcro. Good luck !

Last edited:

pinky

Cavy Slave
I two have fleece pads in my cage that are fleece on two side with cotton batting in the middle so they are heavier and stiffer than a single layer of fleece. I strategically place the pigloos so a section of them overlap where the two pieces of fleece meet. As long as I do that or don't have any gap that they can see, they don't burrow. When I had a ramp, I sewed a strip of velcro on the bottom of the ramp fleece to hold it in place. I haven't needed to add velcro to my main level pieces. I have one female that lives alone and she will sometimes pull a bit of the the fleece pad into her pigloo with her but she never burrows under it.

Leahfaithmt

Cavy Slave
I made a piggy bedspread out of fleece and uhaul blankets. They are cut to fit the bottom of the cage perfectly. I only use velcro on the bottom of the ramp pad, but other than that, the fleece stays in place. For us, this has worked best. Good luck!

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
I have semi burrowers as well. Was much worse than it is now. I hated the up and over the edge of the coro junk. My fleece is trimmed exact and I put strategically placed towels and fleece beds/pads ontop where they pee/poop the most. Then in other places that they burrow I put clips (like at the top of their ramp) and ceramic 12"x12" tiles. The flat tiles don't take away from lap space and they are a nice cool place to lay in this heat. I like to wet them and place them in the freezer for an hour in the hot humid heat we are getting today... Its going to be a heat index of over 110 degrees and we don't have much for AC here. It only gets above 90 degrees 4-5 times a year and only above 100 every few decades so we are not too equipped for steamy heat.

Also if you have SOME place for them to burrow like a fleece forest or a fleece tent they are less likely to burrow under the fleece...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.