Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Medications Won't take medication (Baytril)?

babycakes

Cavy Slave
Hi,
My two piggies were diagnosed with URI's a few months back and they were prescribed .2cc of Bactrim twice a day. They experienced no negative reactions and maintained a healthy appetite throughout the treatment period. However, shortly after the 14 days were over, the URI symptoms returned.

This time, our vet prescribed .2cc of Baytril once a day for 14 days. BIG problem though...the pigs refuse to eat it! As soon as they even get a whiff of the Baytril-filled syringe, they run away. Is this normal? The pigs LOVED the Bactrim...they literally wheeked for it and even fought over who got to take the medication first. I'm getting worried because I haven't been able to feed them even a single dose of the Baytril.

What should I do? Should I switch the Baytril for Bactrim once again, even though it didn't work fully the first time? Or should I try to hide the medication in another medium? HELP PLEASE!

Holly&Fred

Cavy Slave
Mine didn't like Baytril either. I just had to pick her up, sit her down, and make her take it. After a few weeks, she realized I wasn't going to let her go without taking it, so she took it more willingly and eventually I was able to give it to her in the cage. If it were me, I'd give them all the required doses, even if they object.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
You're need to pick them up and force syringe them the medication. My girl Freya never willingly took her medication after the first day, so I would have to gently shove the syringe between her lips and do it that way. When you do it, though, make sure they actually swallow it! Freya always let it run out of her mouth. To make the experience a little less scary, we "burrito" wrapped her and gave her some cilantro after that.

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
My piggy is in the middle of his antibiotics right now & it's sometimes hard to give them to him. I hold him in one hand & with the other hand put the syringe in his mouth. I would hold your piggy so it doesn't run away! You could try rubbing lettuce on the tip of the syringe to help mask the smell of the baytril. Good luck!

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
My pigger has been on meds almost as long as I've had him. You will have to catch them one at a time and force it down. I have it down ow and it takes me two seconds. I pull the meds into the syringe and then I pull some air in too (this will shoot the meds to the back of his throat and also prevent meds from staying behind in the syringe). Then I pick him up and put his belly on my arm and press his back against my chest with his jaw between my thumb and index finger. I tilt his head back and put the syringe between his teeth on the side of his cheek. Then I shoot the meds in and give him a sec to swallow before I put him down.

I will see if my hubby can take a pic this morning and I will post it.

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
P1030750.jpg

I will say that he loves the cherry syrup the vet mixes the meds with a lot better than the watermelon flavor. So now I always request cherry.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.