Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question What size cage for 2 boars?

I currently have one boar right now in a 2x4 C&C cage . . .
    I'm planning on getting him a buddy but before I do I'm setting up their cage and everything. What size would you recommend for 2 boars??

Here's my piggie ! named Gelato . .

If you want to see bigger pictures their in my album .

Cavy Caged
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: What size cage for 2 boars?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    211 Rec'd/125 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

A 2x4 is the absolute minimum for two males, but bigger is definitely better, especially with males. My honest suggestion is to go as big as you can, it will truly benefit your piggie(s).

Thanks
    Thanks
    38 Rec'd/34 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Ditto.

Beautiful cage too! Gelato is adorable!

Cavy Caged
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LightningPig1 View Post
    Ditto.

Beautiful cage too! Gelato is adorable!

Why, thank you !

I will sketch out a cage plan tommrow and get back to you guess later. )

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Honestly bigger is a lot BETTER! I have a 2x5 right now and im iffy about it. More chattering teeth and more rumble strutting then before, I hoping it will just be that and no fighting. I suggest at LEAST a 2x5 for 2 boars however if need be then a 2x4 is fine NO smaller then that.

Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/14 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I know that 2x4 is listed as the minimum, but honestly, I'm upgrading to a 2x5 as soon as I can (I have a 2x4 right now); the bigger, the better, is definitely true. Even though my 2 guys are about as mellow as they can be (& not be stuffed toys!) & are getting along in perfect harmony, the 2x4 cage just looks so *tiny* - guinea pigs are really relatively large animals, as caged critters go.

Thanks
    Thanks
    136 Rec'd/81 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

I have 2 boars and they are in an L-shaped cage that is "technically" 2x6. Once you put pigloos in it doesn't seem that big anymore. I LOVE the setup and so do they. I also have mine flat on the ground so I can just open the cage and have them run around for free roam time. I've gone back and forth about possibly making it a 3x4 but I love the sectioning I have going on right now.. I just can't part with it's current setup. I'm going to redo the coro and this time I'm going to make the walls on the hay bin much taller, so we don't have so much falling out. We also have a short wall between the fleece and hay that they jump over and it really helps to keep the hay off the fleece.

They spend their days eating, pooping and doing dominance dances. I can't see them in a smaller cage, they would be humping each other a lot more I think.

Cavy Caged
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OOH ! where did you get the hay Nicolene ! It's so green!

My piggie is eating oxbow hay and pellets right now .

Thanks
    Thanks
    136 Rec'd/81 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quynh245 View Post
    OOH ! where did you get the hay Nicolene ! It's so green!

My piggie is eating oxbow hay and pellets right now .
    We got a 100lb bale of orchard for $16 (which is NOTHING in California) from a feed store.. We had to drive 60 miles round trip for it, but it's going to last me at least a year. As you can see, we lose a lot to poop and pee, but the constant popcorning makes it so worth it! We picked the orchard over the timothy because it was so much greener and softer, it is truly lovely hay.

I looked for a feed store with FRESH bales (found lots of old bales) for 6 months. So I tell everyone, just keep looking.

Cavy Caged
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I also love your cage Nicolene ! I might do an L shape cage with a 2x4 section and a 2x3 "kitchen" room .

I don't know . . . Should I add a second level too?

Cavy Caged
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I was planning to buy from kleenmama's because of the great reviews! BUT the shipping price is so much! Oxbow is a little pricey and yeah . . . Here in
    wichita. . . I find it REALLY hard to look for a bale or any hay cheap for that matter . . .

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nicolene--LOVE your cage. A couple questions for you.

--How do you open the cage to let them run around? My 2x3 is on the floor, too. right now I just take her out for floor time. Do you actually have a door so they can go in and out?

--Where do they 'do their business'? In the hay?

Thanks
    Thanks
    136 Rec'd/81 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by daisy918 View Post
    Nicolene--LOVE your cage. A couple questions for you.

--How do you open the cage to let them run around? My 2x3 is on the floor, too. right now I just take her out for floor time. Do you actually have a door so they can go in and out?

--Where do they 'do their business'? In the hay?
    I have a part of the coroplast that is cut to fold down and then I put up an extra cubes "fence" to keep them out of the kitchen. They run around our feet and all over the living room, and while they will poop on the carpets they run back to pee. Pigs (or at least mine) like to pee where they've peed before. They will go back and nap or eat later and then we just close them up before we go to bed and we pick up all the poops.

If you do free roam make sure to keep ALL cables out of their reach. We always do and the one time the laptop cable dangled close to the ground they nibbled it, luckily it was unplugged.

Thanks
    Thanks
    272 Rec'd/235 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)

Welcome to the forum Quynh245 !!

I would go the biggest you can afford right now. I did get my C&C cage from this site ( $88.00for a 6x2 kit) and at the time did it for convenience sake ( I was in a BIG hurry and didn't know yet about alternatives) and I also got a 2x2 loft with ramp to go on top of it. However, many many folks on here saved a ton of money by getting their supplies elsewhere. There are many threads and pictures to look at on here for suggestions if you are interested.

I also waited to spend on cozies and such since I spent so much money for the initial cage kit and loft. I made many tunnels and toys myself from simple, yet safe things that one can find around their home. From my experience, they have really enjoyed the home-made tunnels and houses that I made from just cardboard so I am thankful for that.

However, I have since bought a few cozy items and such that they sell on-line, but their diet ( quality hay, pellets, fresh daily veggies, clean fresh water) and their cage environment was what I initially tried to make a #1 priority. I hope to get a sewing machine this Spring though, so I can make such items like cozies and bed-liners myself.

Do you know about the fleece and u-haul blanket idea for bedding ? It's a big hit with many people and I like it very much myself. Noticed that you use fleece too..what do you like to use for absorption underneath the fleece bedding ?

Cavy Caged
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey kathlaaron! I use three layers of towels underneath and one layer of anti-pill fleece on top The piggie I wanted to adopt was already adopted. ( He was a teddy bear guinea pig. The ones that look like giant cotton balls.

But, it's okay I might has well expand Gelato's cage . . . Since I have space. Also can A guinea pig's cage be built down stairs? I have my guinea pig's cage in the dining area right now. . . I can't fit it in the living room . . . I can make a maybe 2x6 ish with a 2x4 wing. L shaped cage? , But up here I can only fit a 2x5 C&C cage .

Thanks
    Thanks
    136 Rec'd/81 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

What do you mean by downstairs? If you mean a finished basement, then yes, many people do that. The most important thing is that they are in a high traffic area so they can entertain you with their antics, but also so they don't get "forgotton". Not saying you'll forget them, but you know what I mean? Also, constant temperatures are important. A lot of people move pigs to basements in the summer months when it's cooler down there.

Cavy Caged
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking Re: What size cage for 2 boars?

haha yes I have a finished basement but have heard people say it's not okay to keep them down there... I'm going to start building his cage down there this weekend... I guess it's set a 2x6 with a 2x3 wing L shaped cage.

User Tag List