Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grooming Shampoo?

Averla

Cavy Slave
Hi guys,

I've been researching on guinea pig care for about 2 weeks now. I'm still waiting to hear from rescues and shelters near me for a baby/ young guinea pig or 2 to adopt, so far they have none for me yet since I'm hoping for a long-haird breed (keeping my fingers crossed tho ;) ).

But anyways, while I'm waiting I figure I should get started with their care stuff so I've already bought the cage (8 sq. ft), u-haul blanket and fleece bedding, carefresh, food, etc. But one thing I couldn't find a good resource on is what shampoo to use for them. I've been reading that gorgeous guineas is the best, but since they're based in UK I would like to see if there are any brand that is as good an alternative to get here in US?

Thanks for the input! :)

Averla

Cavy Slave
Also, could anyone tell me if they've had any problems with Kleenmama's or Oxbow Hay having lice that infects the little piggies? I'm paranoid since I've read that it's from hay that they are mostly infected from, but I'm not sure if it's just cheap hay or if it's all random. Can I freeze the hay then just defrost whenever I have to use it?

Thanks!

cuponoodels

Cavy Slave
Hello there!

You sound like you're going to be an amazing owner. I'm so glad you decided to do a hefty amount of research before considering adoption. I hope you find your additions into the family soon.

I really don't have an answer for you regarding shampoo brands because I think the stuff they sell in the petstores are overpriced. I don't usually bathe my girls because most of them do not need it. I usually just wipe off their feet because thats where they get dirty the most. If they do need to be bathed, I dilute a small amount of baby shampoo and bathe them with that. And I've only done it twice for the duration of having my girls. And even bathing them once a month is pushing it.

I don't think anyone here has ever correlated lice to any of those two brands of hay. I've only used Oxbow and I've yet to encounter a problem of any kind. Where did you read up on this lice thing?

You should not freeze hay. Hay can be good for months if stored properly, which is in a breathable bin away from sunlight and moisture. A fabric laundry bin is perfect for hay! I use a plastic pet food container and drilled holes into the top and the sides.

Best wishes to you!

Sirene

Cavy Slave
If they do need to be bathed, I dilute a small amount of baby shampoo and bathe them with that. And I've only done it twice for the duration of having my girls. And even bathing them once a month is pushing it.

Hi there! Human baby shampoo is formulated for human babies, and should therefore not be used on animals. If you can't get Gorgeous Guineas (which is great), you can use Bunny Bath by Four Paws. Bathing them once a month really is pushing it - I think it's recommended to bathe them only every 3-4 months - and then only if they need it!

There are lots of threads on shampoo and bathing on here - just do a search if you want more info!

Averla

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the input cupnoodels and Sirene! :)

I will only bathe my guinea pig once every 3-4 months and just wipe their cute bums and feet with wet towels when I groom her then. I think I will just buy from gorgeous guineas since that is the best. Since I won't get my guinea pig for a while yet I can wait for the products to ship to me ^^

I was reading up on diseases they could catch and wondered how else guinea pigs get lice besides from each other so I Google-ed how they catch lice, and some of the responses there said from hay/ food so I was a bit concerned. But since you never had issues with lice from the good quality hay I won't worry much then and will store it properly :)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If you start a thread on one subject, please keep it for that subject only and start new threads with other questions. Your hay/lice questions don't belong in a thread about shampoo.

NO human shampoos. They are not formulated for pigs and can end up drying their skin out more. You need a shampoo formulated for small animals such as Four Paws Bunny Bath. You can also use kitten/puppy shampoos that have no insecticides or medications in them.

Lice and mites need living hosts to survive. Guinea pigs can catch lice from other pigs and other living sources but mites are more or less built in parasites. Meaning they lay dormant in pigs and can flare up during times of stress or illness. Hay does not carry lice or mites. Do not freeze hay and thaw it out.

Jodie

Cavy Slave
I use an all natural, completely organic baby shampoo for my piggies. The vets i have spoken to about this have all said that it's better for them then any "animal" shampoo on the market. If it is made for babies soft sensitive skin, then it is fine for piggies. Mine all have clean luscious coats and they get a bath once every 2 to 3 months. Their skin is not scaly or dry. And the shampoo is uncented as well. After all the horror stories I have heard lately regarding products made for pets that ended up in tragedy, I will use what my vets and their colleagues say is best.

Averla

Cavy Slave
Sorry Ly&Pigs, I'll keep in mind not to jump from one subject to another in one thread next time :)

Thanks for all the input! I just ordered from gorgeous guineas and bought shampoos (they have a lot of different kinds!) and a bugs be gone powder, just a preventative in case I take my piggy outside in the summer :p

Btw, a friend of a friend (I <3 facebook ;P) had an accidental litter with her piggies about a month ago (apparently Ladybug wasn't a lady after all... "she's" now neutered ;P). The vet told her she had 2 boars and a sow, so she's giving her boys to one of her friends and I could take the girl if I wanted since she didn't really want more than 2 piggies. She's so fuzzy and adorable and I can't wait to take her home! Of course I am going to keep looking for a another female close to her age that she could bond with so she won't be too lonely ;D

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Vets are often ignorant when it comes to certain issues pertaining to small animals. Even exotics vets.

I'd rather put my trust into hundreds of experienced cavy slaves vs. what any vet has to say when it comes to stuff like grooming or diet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.