Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fur How fast does hair grow back?

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
When I adopted my pigs the long haired one (I think she's a shelty because her hair grows back on her head) had a really bad hair cut! It's all uneven and jagged and pretty short in a few spots.
I was just wondering how fast the hair grows? I will probably keep it trimmed so it doesn't drag but would like it to be even at least.
thanks

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
It grows about the same as a humans. I have a long haired as well and I would say his hair grows .5-1 inch a month. I trim my boys belly and sides with a 3/8th blade on a human hair trimmer and 3/4 of an inch on the top and sides. He looks like my american short haired when I'm done except for the lion mane around his head as I dont want to get the clippers to close to his ears or whiskers. It has definately helped with the smell his hair picks up from him sleeping in the dirtiest corner in the cage... I would invest in a good quality self sharpening Wahl hair trimmer with lots of attatchments, a good pair of hair sissors, a few cheap combs and brushes. Hope this helps...

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the info! :)

SemiCharmedShoe

Cavy Slave
I keep my peruvian's hair long and I feel like her hair grows incredibly fast I cut it once every 3-4 months. I just trim her rear shorter by hand with scissors so that it doesn't get too dirty. I also wash her butt too every few days by taking some water on a towel and wipe her butt. This is more because she is white and her butt will show any urine discoloration at all. She stays pretty clean actually and its more important to keep the cage clean than to keep her hair super short. I just trim the sides of her body so that the hair is floor length. She lives on fleece and has a care fresh kitchen area, so maybe her bedding helps her hair to keep looking gorgeous. I also brush her hair every day which can help keep her shedding from being too ridiculous. HTH

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Are you sure her hair was cut, and not barbered? Biting at mites can also cause a real crazy hair style.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
Are you sure her hair was cut, and not barbered? Biting at mites can also cause a real crazy hair style.

There hasn't been any scratching for either one so I don't think it's mites. They'd be scratching a lot wouldn't they?

WindyOliver

Cavy Gazer
(broken link removed) may depends on many different factors, I think. Trimming seems to be helpful to make hair grow faster.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Trimming seems to be helpful to make hair grow faster.

Trimming the hair has absolutely nothing to do with its growth! The rate at which hair regrows is somewhat predictable but yet different in individuals. You are right in that it depends on many different factors.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.