Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Be careful with ice cream!

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
Not sure how many of you are aware of this, but I was sure in for a shock in my science class this morning!

Lower fat ice creams have a higher water content, and to prevent large water crystals from forming and making for some not as smooth ice cream, they add fish antifreeze proteins. The fish antifreeze proteins, I believe found in the blood, prevents formed ice crystals from growing, ergo no frozen fishy. When added to low fat ice cream, large water crystals don't form and the ice cream is smoother.

The bottom line: Some ice creams aren't vegetarian!

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
Perhaps I misread. Will look into it again tomorrow.

jenga122

Cavy Slave
Not sure, I'm not a vegetarian but the story seems to be confusing to say the least.

" New industrial processes, including one that involves a protein cloned from the blood of an Arctic Ocean fish"

Wouldn't a cloned protein still be the same as the original? I know a cloned sheep is still a sheep. Not sure if cloned protein of a fish would still be considered the same as the original.

It would be different if they said it was a synthetic protein but they are using the term "cloned"

Maybe someone that is more educated about being a vegetarian or a vegan would be more versed on this whole "cloning" thing.

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
It's genetically identical to a fish protein but doesn't require a fish to produce it and thus it doesn't use or harm any animal to use the protein. It's not synthetic in that it's produced by a yeast.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.