Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Best way to keep her warm?

My GP is in a fleece 2x3 cage. I worry about her being cold at night. She has a wooden Hidey House that she sleeps in.

Is there a way to keep covers on her or another way to make sure she's warm?

New Zealand North Island, near Wellington
    Thanks
    Thanks
    94 Rec'd/79 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Re: Best way to keep her warm?

Hi Daisy

with everything I've read on this forum I've never seen anything suggesting that a cover would be appropriate to think about.

People usually put in a soft snuggly bed or blanket so they can hold heat around them in a cosy way.

I think you'd be better off getting creative in this way rather, its safer and more natural. I'm pretty sure she'd love to snuggle in something soft and warm if all she has at the moment is a wooden house.

Check out the bedding and accessories section. Its really neat to see the pigtures!

Thanks
    Thanks
    272 Rec'd/235 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)

Yes..that is what I do too, like Kiwicavyadorer said..I have a wooden "Gnawsome Hut" downstairs in the lower level now and underneath I have a really nice ( wish I could remember where I got it because they LOVE this particular blankie) small blanket. On one side of the blankie is a pink soft fleece and on the other is like a soft, off-white sherpa type material.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    772 Post(s)

How cold does it get at night?

Plastic pigloos help keep in warmth. You can also invest in a Snuggle Safe Disc.

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have a two plastic pigloos, we put a cuddle cup underneath the bigger one and the pigs usually race to get a spot to sleep in that one.

But from my own experience, I see that the fleece actually traps heat in for them pretty well. We recently switched to kiln-dried pine as an experiment and noticed the girls regularly sitting under a hidey unless they want to play, eat, or exercise. With fleece they are usually less shy about being out in the open, presumably because it's the perfect temperature to roam around on.

I would say try investing in a plastic pigloo as foggycreekcavy had suggested above because they trap heat pretty well. You could also provide her with a pad underneath her wood house to make her more comfortable and/or offer her a cuddle sack to occasionally slip into for cold nights.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    772 Post(s)

You can also put a towel or blanket over the whole cage.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I drape extra bits of fleece over the hideys, or make hideys out of fleece to keep heat in. Right now my boys sleep in a dog kennel bed, with two bent grids side-by side, with a fleece "carpet" underneath, and a fleece roof. they seem to love it. not to mention they get to sleep right next to each other without feeling the need to get territorial, which is a whole other matter ;]

Oh, also- towel tents with longer towels so that instead of just being in the corner where the towel is lifted, they can burrow under the loose towel that is laying down on the ground and have a blankie (:

User Tag List