Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How do you feed the greens?

My GP loves to eat green peppers and cilantro. But she'll only eat it when she's on my lap. I've tried to put the greens in the cage on the fleece, on the hay, and in a food bowl.

How do you all feed greens?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,330 Rec'd/5,842 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

Re: How do you feed the greens?

The best way I've found to teach them to eat anything is to dice it very fine and put it on top of their pellets. But if she eats it in your lap, I'd think she'd eat it in the cage. Does she just ignore it if you put it in there?

I just tear greens in big chunks and put them on a plate in their cage.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I put my girls cilantro in one of those "treat"balls and part of their peppers on a kabob (the rest in the dish) and whatever is left over and the lettuces go in a big carrot looking dish!! I let them tear at it and eat it on their own and the "treats" like carrots and things I do not chop them up so that they can bite them so it works their teeth a little.

Thanks
    Thanks
    365 Rec'd/255 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)

Yeah I just take a whole head of lettuce (they are pretty small here about the size of a 1 pint strawberry container) so I just plop the whole thing in. I dont cut any of the vegetables except to portion them out to each piggy. Will she eat it from your hand when she is in the cage? Maybe she just got so used to eating it on your lap that she doesn't realize. Does she have a cage mate or is she young? Because they usually learn to eat from their mother. If she was taken away from her mom earlier then she maybe never learned??? I don't know try feeding her bits when she is in the cage? Maybe shes just not hungry because you are giving her too many pellets?

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

I cut everything up in smaller pieces and spread it around in their kitchen area so they all have a chance to get some. I don't want them to have to play tug of war with their food. I give them veggies in the morning, lunch time and at dinner time.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    92 Rec'd/74 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

I feed the girls every night at 9pm they actually are eating now. Anyways try cutting the veggies up a bit for now, and mix them together really well and put them in the cage maybe in a bowl?

I just throw everything into two plastic storage baskets I got from walmart, and then just drop the veggies into each cage, often on top of piggies They never move, but I'm pretty sure they enjoy pieces of lettuce falling from the sky! haha

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I usually drop several large leaves of lettuce into my girls' cage and into my boy's cage.

I usually feed them veggies at night.. it makes it easier for me as I can check the veggie supply in the morning and know if I need to pick up more on the way home.

I fill up the hay rack and pellet bowls first thing when I wake up.

they'll all eat from my hand in the cage.. and the girls will put their paws up on the side of the grids and wheek for food.

I just love hearing them squeal for their dinner.. just the rustle of a plastic bag or seeing me walk into the kitchen is enough to set them off most of the time.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Aww, that's actually an endearing, cute little habit! Heehee...

Anyways, if you try to dice up the food, etc. and it doesn't work...perhaps you should simply not pick her up to feed her her veggies for a day or two. Simply continue to offer fresh veggies periodically in the same location somewhere in her cage, and see if after realizing you aren't going to pick her up to feed them to her, she'll give it a go.

Good luck!

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Ly&Pigs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5,433 Rec'd/1,918 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

You don't need to chop the veggies into little pieces. Larger pieces are just fine. Offer the bell pepper and cilantro (along with other daily staples like a couple varieties of lettuces but no iceburg) in the cage in a dish or on a small plate and leave them there for awhile. She will be able to smell them and then she will eat them.

Pigs should receive at least 2 veggie meals a day. They are constant foragers so it's better for them to have veggies more than just once per day. They need at least a cup of veggies each. At least 3 daily staples and 3-5 rotating veggies.

User Tag List