Thread: Should I get rid of the litter box area?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Should I get rid of the litter box area?

I've had my 9 week old GP for 2 weeks. I got a large high-back litter box and put CareFresh in it with her food dish to encourage her to go to the bathroom there.

I have another area filled with hay for her.

She is only going to the bathroom in the hay and in her Hidey House. I put a mat under her house and I dump the droppings into the CareFresh pan 2x a day.

Should I just get rid of the litter box and be happy she's only pooping in 2 areas? Or will she eventually start using the litter box? I want her to have as much free space as possible.

THANKS!! (picture attached)

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Should I get rid of the litter box area?

If shes going where the hay is, why not put a hay rack above the litter pan? And then she can have the extra space where the hay used to be to run around I don't think you should give up on the litter pan quite so soon though! Good idea putting the mat under the hidey house! I might try that out. I'm also trying to teach my two pigs to go in a litter pan, so far it seems to be going good. I hope it works out for you!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    21 Rec'd/18 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Should I get rid of the litter box area?

I've got a litter box in mine as well. Lately, I have had the issue of him using his box less & going in the corner so I moved the box to the corner he's going to the bathroom in, which has seemed to help since he picked up on the hint. You could try moving it to the corner he's going to the bathroom in. You could try putting the hay in his potty box as well. It's up to you if you want to leave it in there or not. The more room the better. My cage is rather large for one piggy so I have the room to keep the box in there & keep trying. Good luck!

User Tag List