Thread: Reasons/evidence why glass tanks are bad...

Thanks
    Thanks
    365 Rec'd/255 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)

Reasons/evidence why glass tanks are bad...

Hello all. I have been searching on here all day trying to find somewhere that there is solid evidence that glass tanks and aquariums are bad for guinea pigs. I KNOW they are I'm trying to convince a friend that they are. I have given her this website and forum but she refuses to look at it. So I was hoping someone could link to a place that listed all the reasons why aquariums are bad for guinea pigs. I did a forum search and there were over like 2000+ posts with the word aquarium in it and I've gone through like 50+ posts and can't do it anymore with my SLOW internet connection. If you can find or know of a link either here or guinealynx I would really appreciate if you could post it. Then I can send it off to my friend and HOPEFULLY convince her that 3 adolescent male guinea pigs CANNOT be housed in a 20 gallon aquarium. O and they are making eachother bloody and she "doesn't know why". AGGG! Some people just are unwilling to listen but I want to try to give her as much info as possible... Thank you guys!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    918 Rec'd/477 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Re: Reasons/evidence why glass tanks are bad...

The biggest reason is size. There aren't any that are an adequately sized to house a guinea pig. The lack of air flow increases the risk of upper respiratory infections.

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Well, the main reason to me would be they are way to small for a guinea pig. It would be abuse to let one live in such a small enclosure. They need air and room.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    211 Rec'd/125 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

The fact that it is closed off prevents proper air flow. The lack of air flow can cause a build up of ammonia from their urine and it can cause deadly respiratory problems.

Thanks
    Thanks
    365 Rec'd/255 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)

Yes I understand that. I am looking for an actual list if there is one. I am perfectly capable of listing the basics but was looking for reasons other than too small and not enough air flow... Or a medical thread or something. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    211 Rec'd/125 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Oh! I completely misunderstood you, I am sorry! I will search around for a list as soon as I am able.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    21 Rec'd/18 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here you go! I found this about aquariums... Guinea Pig Connection: Myth #11: Aquarium Tanks Can Be Guinea Pig Cages

I know it's not a list, but there's a good story about the issues with using them!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey there

Here's a link to the guinea pig care page on the ASPCA website..

ASPCA | Guinea Pig Care

It states never to house guinea pigs in an aquarium because of the poor ventilation.. There's even a downloadable version that you can print out.. I know it's only one sentence, but it's a relative strong one (cos it says 'never') by an authoritative body in the ASPCA ,so I hope it can still be of significant help..

I really cannot stand it that some people refuse to seek proper information and think whatever they do goes.. You'd really have to be some person to be like that...
    Last edited by Thisisaline; 02-17-11 at 01:38 am.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's me again

I know it's not a list either but I found a short video you could show her as many people are more receptive to watching a video over reading.

If you go to youtube and search for 'pet guinea pig housing', there is a video by expert village featuring an exotic animal health tech; another authority figure; who speaks about, well, guinea pig housing. I'm not going to link the video here though because it features a pet store cage.

However, she speaks briefly about why guinea pigs should not be kept in aquariums and also mentions avoiding injury from keeping multiple pigs in a small habitat.

I hope this can help too.

User Tag List