Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Not eating hay?

I've had my GP for a week now. She eats her pellets, carrots, greens, but I don't notice any hay being eaten.

I first put the hay on top of the Carefresh in her litter box. I wasn't sure if she was eating it or not, so I put the hay on top of a piece of fleece in her fleece cage. It didn't seem to be disappearing. The past 2 days, I've put the hay under her greens in a bowl. again, I don't think she's eating it.

Tips? What do I do?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Okay, totally confused about hay

I have been giving my piggy a handful of hay every day. I have tried it in the litter box, on a grass mat, and in the greens food dish.

I don't think she's eating it.

But as I read on these boards, I see that you guys give TONS of hay.

Explain this to me!! Should I be giving her a bigger area with hay in it? If so, do I have to dump it and change it every day? That seems like I would be buying hay all the time.

Her cage is a fleece-lined 2x3. A 1x1 area is the litter box w/2 bowls of food in it and Carefresh. I could put a 1x1 sized coro box there beside it and fill with hay, I guess. That would leave a 2x2 area left for her wooden house and play, though.

HELP
    Last edited by daisy918; 02-12-11 at 04:06 pm.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    42 Rec'd/40 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Okay, totally confused about hay

There are all kinds of hay you may want to try maybe your piggie is just being picky. Mine eat mostly Oxbow timothy hay, but I also give them botanical hay, orchard grass, oat hay mixed in and they love it all.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,544 Rec'd/593 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

If you keep it in a hay rack you don't have to keep changing it because she won't be peeing in it. What kind of hay are you attempting to feed, and how long have you been trying without luck? Do you know how old she is, and whether she was eating it wherever she was before you got her?

Thanks
    Thanks
    136 Rec'd/81 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

My piggers like lots of hay, on the floor:

Once a week, on cage cleaning day, I clean out the hay area, wash it, then I layer a thick layer of newspaper on the bottom, then a layer of bedding (yesterday's news in my case) and then a thick layer of hay. My pigs eat hay ALL DAY LONG. They LOVE laying on it, sometimes under it, and even sleeping in it on hot days. I still put a fresh handful in twice a day, as they end up pooping and peeing on a lot of it. My pigs do not like hay racks. So I do end up throwing away a ton of hay, but we have a 100lb bale in storage (only paid $16 at a local feed store) so I'm ok with that.. Piggies like to live in hay.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've had her for a week. She's 8 weeks old. I'm not sure what she was eating before. I was thinking about a hay rack--I have some extra coroplast and I could make one. Hmmm...

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

She might not be used to the hay, or is a very picky piggy.
    My 1 year old who i've had for the past year almost recently decided to not like the hay I bought him, so when I bought him his old type, he decided he only liked the new kind!

So now I've got 2 bags of hay. Thankfully, I've got a new piggy coming in tomorrow so hopefully he'll help us with out excess of hay...

Thanks
    Thanks
    365 Rec'd/255 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)

Nicolene- Quit posting pis of your cage all over the place. Its TOTALLY making me jelouse! Haha

To the OP- It will take her time to get used to the hay and a hay area if they are little like that will provide her with more fresh access. What kind of hay and what brand are you feeding. If the piggie is that young you can give them alfalfa and since it is sweeter they might like it better. (just make sure you start mixing it with timothy before they are 6 months as it has a lot of calcium. Kaytee hay is JUNK. If thats what you are giving her then ditch it. Try to make the hay area 1x2 and maybe, if possible, add another grid onto her cage to make a 2x4. Then you will have more room when you get a buddy too...

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

yes, it's Kaytee...I just ordered 5 lb of 3rd cut Timothy Hay from KM. Hopefully that helps.

I also made a little tray out of coroplast. It's like 1/2 x 1 grid. I think I'll get a timber tunnel or something for her to hide under so she'll sit in the hay.

Thanks
    Thanks
    136 Rec'd/81 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onetwo View Post
    Nicolene- Quit posting pis of your cage all over the place. Its TOTALLY making me jelouse! Haha
    Haha, sorry! I just thought today I need to update my Photobucket, because I only have this one darn picture with which I try to illustrate everything I talk about (fleece, hay, tunnels etc.)

I do love my cage though and ever since buying a bale I'm trying to convince people to give bigger hay areas as my piggies love it so much..

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Not eating hay?

Is the hay fresh? Does it smell good and is it green? What kind of hay is it? You might want to make sure it's not moldy.

Just keep giving it to her and make sure you offer fresh hay several times a day.

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Ly&Pigs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5,433 Rec'd/1,918 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Moderator Note:
    Your threads have been merged. Please do not create multiple threads on the same subject as it makes keeping track of the story confusing to members, especially if things are posted in both threads. If you have one thread per issue, it helps everyone. Thanks.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My hay area looks kinda like Nicolene's. But I have a Coke crate thing that we got from "who knows where!" The bottom is has holes in it. I put some Uhaul blanket under the "crate" then pile it high with hay. Any poop and pee falls through the holes in the bottom and into the Uhaul blanket and then I change the blanket and hay once between cage changes.

I also started using local Bermuda hay. It costs me $9 for a HUGE bale. (Huge, like it filled a 3 foot square box huge...) That means I feel just fine wasting a good chunck of it.

Today we picked up one of Theo's brothers. (Not a littler mate but a brother... Don't even ask...) and I'm hoping my system will work out with 2 males just the same. I wouldn't mind to find a bigger crate thing but I don't know...

Theo loves to tunnel in his hay so I tend to put A LOT.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    86 Rec'd/66 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My cage is similar to Nicolene's just not as big, and I agree with her, tons of hay for them to play, lay and eat. If she's not eating it, I would not put it in a hay bin, personally. I found my pigs ate less hay when it was off the ground than they do on the floor.
    Like Nicolene, I put in about two handful each day and at the end of the week have about a handful of wet hay to throw away. Not bad since they live in there eating, sleeping sometimes, even playing.
    If she's young and not eating it, then I'd definitely put a hidey in the hay box so she can sit under it and eat. I bent a grid and cover it in cut fleece. I had extra grids and there's always extra fleece so I wasn't out any cost and the pigs love it. Just put your hay in, sit that on top and see if she doesn't eat it.

Is she eating veggies and pellets? If not, I'd take her to the vets TODAY. There may be a reason she's not eating other than she doesn't know to. If she doesn't start on the hay, I would still schedule a vets appointment. My two one year olds can eat as much hay as a bag of Kaytee in less than two days. (A friend gave us a bag and they cleaned it out in two days, glad I have baled hay. LOL)
    I put in a huge handful this morning at Flower's insistence, and all I hear right now is munching. Both pigs are in the hay box (on the floor of the cage) pigging out. (Pardon the pun.) They look like Lady and the Tramp in the spaghetti scene over there.

User Tag List