Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting I Am Getting Nervous

lissie

Cavy Slave
Sometimes age (or size) doesn't get him to be top dog (or pig).
When I first started, I had Cookie and Oreo, they came from same litter from Craigslist. I adopted Rocky (2 year old at the time) when Cookie and Oreo were about 1 year old. Cookie and Oreo started fighting when I introduced them to Rocky. Cookie has been the biggest one who gets bullied by both Oreo and Rocky. I adopted Puffy (4 weeks old) to be Cookie's friend and now all is well. I can clearly see that baby Puffy is the dominant one. He was in quarantine and introduced to Cookie when he was 8 weeks old.

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
I just read through this thread entirely, and I have to say I am in a VERY similar situation but with females... I have ended up with a divided cage that takes up half my room. They son't chatter at one another through the bars or anything now so in a few weeks I want to try another introduction... Anyways, I hope your newest plan of switching piggies around works. I wish you good luck :)

This is my cage at the moment.

Attachments

Fire&Ice Cage.jpg

PrttyChngaderas

Cavy Slave
My boys weren't chattering through the divide cage but Guillermo was chewing on a wire grid trying to get through. He also moves one of the houses trying to get through a crack. He is bound and determined to kick Ricardo's butt!

I am in the process of doing an EARLY cage cleaning. Another load of blankets and towels. SHeesh. Anyway, my husband and I discussed it and of the two older boys, Carlos and Allen, Allen is kind of the jerk of the two. Carlos tends to just eat and sleep in the hay pile. We are going to finish cleaning the cages and put Carlos in with Sancho and Ricardo. Ricardo and Sancho are just sweet peas and I really think Carlos will work in there. In the smaller cage, we are going to put the two butt-heads in there and see how that goes. I am hoping that Allen will put Guillermo in his place. But who knows. I really shouldn't say Allen is a big jerk, he isn't. But he does pick on Carlos who is a little more portly and slower.

I hope this works out. The alternative is either putting Guillermo in a store cage or finding him a new home.

Any thoughts on this switch between the pigs?

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
I wish I could help you but I've been lucky with my additions. I originally had the first two Mama and her daughter Baby. Then I got Violet and Frosty from the shelter. Made a huge C & C cage and all four got a long great. Got Pixie last July and had problems for a little while. I had to seperate the old one Mama because Pixie was being mean to her and got her a neutered boyfriend.

I don't know what to do with Butters when Mama goes. I think the girls will be mean to him. But I don't know if the boys will be nice to him either.

PrttyChngaderas

Cavy Slave
I cleaned the cages, put in new hay and then put Guillermo in the tub while I introduced Carlos into the cage with Sancho and Ricardo. At first, Carlos went and hung out in the hay. Then there as some chasing and humping. Carlos is currently sleeping on the hay again and I will be feeding them soon.

I then put Guillermo into the cage with Allen. Holy cow. It's been like an episode of Oz. At first Guillermo was lunging and baring his teeth and Allen looked afraid. then *I* got afraid. But my husband stayed and supervised in there and Allen keeps cornering him and mounting him. Allen takes breaks here and there but, when he lays down, Guillermo starts poking at him and then Allen mounts him and Guillermo backs off.

It's been like watching a cross episode of Oz and UFC in that room and, let me tell you, it smells musky. It's all male hormones all the time. YIKES! At this moment, Carlos is sleeping on the hay, Sancho is wandering the cage and Ricardo is sleeping on the other end of the kitchen on the hay. All seems well there.... for now.

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
I know you are having a dilemma but I must say thank you for the smiles that last post brought me! I love the way you describe your boys and I absolutely adore the sound of Carlos! What a honey - sleeping in the hay - sounds like those three are resting up.
I really wish you the best of outcomes - this has been a wonderful thread to follow, thank you!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I don't know if anyone else mentioned it, but you need to keep an eye on those wounds. Guinea pig bites can lead to abscesses which are much easier to treat if they are caught early. You might want to follow up with a vet visit if they have open sores so they can clean the wounds or prescribe an antibiotic, if needed.

PrttyChngaderas

Cavy Slave
No, Pinky, no one has mentioned that. Thank you for doing so. Each time I have found Ricardo bloody, I have taken him out and cleaned him up or bathed him. I have also been keeping an eye on things because I have been worried about infections. I will be making an appointment with a vet though, thank you. I am so worried about Ricardo. I am hoping he survives all this abuse. He really is a tiny little baby doll and so sweet.

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
With each post by you Prrty, it sounds more and more like my pigs even down to their individual personalities! It's starting to make me nervous since I want to do a second introduction in a few weeks. :eek:hmy:
I hope whatever decision you make is a good one and everyone becomes happy again. I feel your stress and discomfort with watching this all go on, and I wish you luck.

PrttyChngaderas

Cavy Slave
So far so good, today. All is quiet in all cages. Ricardo is sleeping in the hay all by his lonesome and Sancho and Carlos are in a hidey I made out of cardboard with extra exits. I am feeling better right now. I am keeping a close eye on my Ricardo, though. He is just melting my heart and I just want to cuddle him and tell him everything is alright. Maybe later while I am working, I will let him sleep in the fuzzy bed on my desk with me to give him some alone time. That poor little dear.

As for Allen and Guillermo. Guillermo has not been fussing with Allen and they are sleeping at separate ends of the cage. there are no hideys in there at all right now. I just want to make sure they are safe for now and keep everyone easily visible.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
I tried to introduce a fixed male into my male herd and it went BADLY! They apparently though he was a female and they almost killed eachother. I have never seen so much blood. My one piggie ripped open the others face and he almost lost his eye. The other one had a huge gaping wound on his neck. They dripped blood all the way from my apartment to the vets. I had to throw away the towels because they never came clean. I thought they were going to die from blood loss I was so scared. I would NOT recommend putting a neutered male in with intact males. Thats just my opinion from my experience. It *might* be different for you Debs4pigs. If the female mama dies before the male then I would see which female (if not all the females) he does better with and go from there. You never know what your herd will be like in the future. Good luck Prtty... I know what thats like to have to watch them fight and wonder if they are going to kill eachother.

PrttyChngaderas

Cavy Slave
Oh. My. God. OneTwo, I read your post and felt a chill run down my spine. I jumped up from my seat and went to check on both sets of gangsters. Everyone is fine, thank heavens!!!

The situation you just described was my biggest fear. I just didn't know if it would come to that. Luckily, for now, things seem OK. Who knows what will happen in the next few days, weeks or months?

Please tell me that everyone survived. What did you end up having to do?

I have to be completely honest, I hope no one hates me for saying this but, when I saw Guillermo taken down a notch by Allen, I kinda felt good. It's like he needs to be "jumped in" in order to fit in. I would never wish harm on him at all. It's just... after seeing the way he just tortured Ricardo, my heart was breaking over that cruelty, I almost didn't have anything left in me to feel bad.

Now I have to work on getting Sancho to not be so skittish and afraid of me. Get Ricardo to be the sweet and outgoing boy he was before all of this and hope and PRAY that Carlos works out to be a good "Big Brother." I don't know if Guillermo and Ricardo would have still gone through all of this but, had I known that bringing in a little baby would set them on fire like it did, I would have never agreed to take in the baby. Ever.

PrttyChngaderas

Cavy Slave
Just thought I would drop a quick line and a picture showing my good guys having some lunch. It's not the best picture but, it'll do for now.

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
Good morning Prtty... thanks so much for posting that lovely scene! Its strange how circumstances and events occur that make for changes we would never choose; if we knew beforehand what it would entail going through those changes.

I know exactly (albeit via a different species not guinea pigs) what you mean when you said that somehow it felt right that Allen gave Guillermo a polite "toweling" and one never knows if the new set up is the one that will give the piggies the most beneficial interactions. All you can do in any situation is listen to and follow your heart and trust that what you just decided to do is the right choice for the given moment you made it. From your photo above for those 3 it sure feels like it was. Even when things turn out "wrong" there is something of value that was learned no matter how small. What a big catalyst Sancho is. Ricardo's been through a lot and time with you might just be that special thing that restores him. Good luck!

PrttyChngaderas

Cavy Slave
Good afternoon all. This might be my last post in here... at least for awhile because, well, things are going so well here. I know it's only been a little more than 2 days but, I cannot believe how well everyone has adjusted. Guillermo might not be the happiest being with Allen but, they are well suite in a cage together and they have not been fighting. I did hear some chattering while I was eating my lunch but it stopped. I have since put in all their toys again except for the hidey house. Instead I put in a big cardboard box with several cut outs for quick escapes if so needed.

THe "Good" boy cage has been just that, so good. I had the cardboard box with all the openings in there at first. I went today to feed the boys and clean poops and I saw hide nor hair of anyone. I lifted up the box and they were all SIDE BY SIDE stretched out and sleeping. My heart felt so full. I went out and bought them a new giant pigloo, they have another pink pigloos in there and a little wooden house. I might have to upgrade that house because the only one that can fit in and out of there is Sancho and that isn't going to last too much longer.

I fed the good boys their lunch and when I walked in, Ricardo was on his side sleeping in the sun that was pouring in through the windows. He jumped up and started eating. I can't stress this enough, seeing him happy means everything to me. It feels like all is right with the world.

So, that's my story. Thank you all for the wonderful support. I know I must have seemed like a crazy person but, I was feeling crazy and helpless. I only wish I had thought to switch them sooner. I am just so glad that this worked out.

Thank you all TONS!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.