Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question How to use litter box and hay

I just received all my GP supplies that i ordered online--tomorrow I'm getting a GP. Can't wait!

I'm confused about the hay. I got a litter box (about 1 foot square). I'm thinking of putting newspaper in it for a liner and then adding hay. But if I do this, will i have to change the hay constantly b/c they will be urinating/pooping on it?

Is it better to have a litter box wth just newspaper and use a hay rack?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    82 Rec'd/71 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: How to use litter box and hay

I put Boxo (similar to Carefresh) in the litter box and a pile of hay on top. My pigs eat way more hay that way. It's natural for them to poop/pee where they eat and where they sleep. Yes you will have to change hay on regular schedule. I change mine every day but there is not much left. If you can, buy a bale, cheaper so you wont mind wasting it.
    Some people prefer hayrack. It's less messy. But with my pigs (and some others) it doesnt work. They love to play and hide in it. They make little nests and eat their way out
    And they smell fresh hay

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    131 Rec'd/105 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Yes, you would have to constantly change the hay, so you would be better off to just use a hay rack. Is it possible for you to use aspen shavings instead of newspaper? The ink can be harmful to pigs who chew it and it is not very absorbent so it will smell really quickly.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Okay. Yes I could do Aspen. The cage is a 2x3 C&C and once i put in the litter box, hidey house, food dishes, it looks so small. Maybe a hay rack is the way to go. Oh...so confusing!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

I use a plastic corner litter box to put my hay in. I have a kitchen area with Carefresh. I attached industrial strength velcro to the litter box and coroplast to hold it tightly in place in the corner of the kitchen. It keeps the hay tidy. Occasionally, one of them jumps in it but that doesn't bother me.

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I use carefresh in my kitchen/litter area and I use a hay rack that I made from a left over grid now because I didn't like changing the hay everyday and I didn't like the smell of the wet hay. But they really love to be able to get in the hay and play in it!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I use aspen litter in the kitchen area and in the litter box. A hay rack on top of the litter box would help keep poops in the litter box and off of the hay.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    98 Rec'd/77 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I use 3 litter boxes (my hay rack's large) under my hay rack with aspen.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have lots of differnt hay things in my cage. I have a mommy and 3 babies so we are still eating alfalfa.. So I took a hamster wheel (just the wheel part) and laid it on its side and use that like a mini hay ring for the alfalfa, I also have a hay ball that I got from petsmart, that you put the hay in it and it hangs on the side of the cage, and then I have a small, like one by one hamseter wire cage top I turned on the side and stuffed hay. They use it like a hay nest to sleep and eat.. they love running in and out of it. The hay nest is just coastal hay and the wheel has timothy. But my cage is a 2X5 with a 2X2 loft.

Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/14 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I worried about my piggies inhaling dust & seed particles & getting stuff in their eyes if they had to reach up to a rack; (an elevated rack or hay bag can cause problems with horses, which is why it's often better to feed them in a container on the ground, they way they'd naturally graze). So, I just put their hay in a box where they can sit on/in it & eat.

My piggies have a small litter box which I put fresh hay in twice a day (they never run out) - I put a couple of paper towels in the bottom for absorbency, but I'd use some old anti-pill fleece if I was being extra frugal & environmental. I actually change it every 12 hours, but it's good for all day if I use a kitchen area around it with some Carefresh, so all of the pee doesn't go in the litter box. I am feeding them from a bale of hay - around here, Oxbow goes for almost $10 for a 2 lb. bag, the bale of timothy was $20 for a 90 lb bale. I keep it in a bale carrier in my garage. What they don't eat all goes into the compost, anyhow.

You can see my pink hay box in the lower left corner, here:

User Tag List