Thread: How to set up the cage/kitchen/litter area?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question How to set up the cage/kitchen/litter area?

I am new to all of this--haven't even gotten my GP yet. I'm trying to get it all set up the RIGHT way first.

I got a 2x3 C&C cage. I also bought a Uhaul blanket, which folds over several times and a fleece topper for it.

Here's my (prob dumb) questions:

1. Should the blankets/fleece wrap around the coroplast or just sit nicely in the bottom?

2. I'm thinking of doing a 1x2 grid size area with hay and food bowls in it. Would this go on top of the fleece or should the hay be right on the coroplast? Would this also be the litter area? Or do they litter somewhere else? I bought a plastic litter box --is that necessary?

3. With this size cage, should I only get 1 GP? I wanted 2 for the social reasons, but my husband is against a bigger cage at this point. He wants to start small and see how it goes. I'm not sure if I should start with 1 GP or 2.

4. Do I have to have a lid---will they jump out?

Thanks for any help!!! My daughter and I are very excited to get going on this.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Re: How to set up the cage/kitchen/litter area?

1) people do both. I personally don't wrap, I tuck it neatly int eh bottom, but it depends on your preference.
    2)That's what I use as a litter area. They will generally go everywhere, but the kitchen area will contain the most poop because they will be in there eating all the time.
    3) A 2x3 is the minimum size for 2 pigs, it's definitely too small for 2 boys, but miiiight be okay for 2 girls.
    4) You won't need a lid unless you have cats or other animals that could jump in. They can't jump out at all, trust me, my boys tried.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    92 Rec'd/74 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

A 2x3 cage is barely large enough for two guinea pigs, and they have to be in pairs, or more. So if you cannot make any larger of a cage, I wouldn't get males they're usually more territorial.

The uhaul blankets can just sit on the bottom flat and you can use binder clips to attach the fleece up the edges so they don't chew.

You can use a litter box, is it a large one? Like for cats? Just cut an opening so they can jump in and out easily and fill it with a loose bedding. You could use fleece there too but the hay will be very difficult to keep clear of hay which sticks to it like mad. No matter what you do, your cage will become a 2x2 of running space which is not large enough for even one pig, and you need two

I would make a 2x4 cage and a 1x2 loft for the top. In your loft you can put your litterbox in on top of the fleece, and your hay rack over the box. Just a suggestion

They wont jump out of the cage, you would only need a lid if you have other pets like dogs and cats.

Check out the photo galleries for some further ideas. I'd look through the upper decks, and features and accessories galleries.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Could I do a loft on my 2x3?

User Tag List