Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick 2 new young piggies, somethings wrong with both of them

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Sdpiggylvr- The apple juice is just a mixer in a tiny amount (1-2ml) for the probiotics as they can be bitter. Its not something she is giving them for just a treat but in combination with a med.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Probiotics are best given 45 minutes to an hour before the antibiotic. This way they will keep the good bacteria from being destroyed in the first place.

If one is going to use apple juice as a mixer, it would need to be pure, no sugar added stuff. Not the typical type that you find on the grocer's shelves chocked full of sugars and preservatives.

cetd27

Cavy Slave
I have heard that you could use a little organic carrot juice in a syringe right before giving the antibiotic and then a little more right after the medicine. I found this out through the rescue I got my boar from. If this is not correct, please say so, I wouldn't want to give out bad advice so please check first.

mishele

Cavy Slave
This morning when I took Gandolf out for his meds and compress, I noticed the abscess had opened. I tried using a compress of warm water and epsom salt but had a hard time softening it up. So, I put him in the bathroom sink with warm water, and I was able to extract a bit of pus. There is still a pocket in there, I can feel it, but he had had enough man(woman)handling for the morning. I flushed it a little with a syringe filled with warm saltwater, and then sprayed the Vetericyn on it (I did tell my vet about it when he called to check on them, he seemed familiar with it). I will do it a few times during the day and again tonight. He doesn't seem at all bothered by it, he went straight for the vegi's when I put him back in his house. He doesn't really like apples, so I am going to get some vegi juice at the health food store to mix with the probiotics.

I think I am also going to switch to fleece bedding today, I think it will be more sanitary than the carefresh bedding I am using. Now I need to read up on how to use it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.