Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) Is a Boy or a Girl Guinea Pig better?

guineapigsrock1

Cavy Gazer
I'm getting my pig in less than a month! Yay! I just have a question: would a girl or a boy guinea pig be better? I mean, is one easier than the other, or nicer than the other, etc.? I'm just wondering because I've had hamsters before, and the females seemed to be nicer than the male, and got along better with a partner. IF I do get 2 guinea pigs, which ones are easier/more compatable with each other? I'm just asking these questions because my mom and dad aren't crazy about me getting a guinea pig, and they think I'm not ready. I wan't to prove I'm ready by getting something easier to take care of. SOOOO! Can anyone tell me?:eek:ptimist:lol:?:

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
I'm getting my pig in less than a month! Yay! I just have a question: would a girl or a boy guinea pig be better? I mean, is one easier than the other, or nicer than the other, etc.? I'm just wondering because I've had hamsters before, and the females seemed to be nicer than the male, and got along better with a partner. IF I do get 2 guinea pigs, which ones are easier/more compatable with each other? I'm just asking these questions because my mom and dad aren't crazy about me getting a guinea pig, and they think I'm not ready. I wan't to prove I'm ready by getting something easier to take care of. SOOOO! Can anyone tell me?:eek:ptimist:lol:?:
Guinea pigs are not easy to take care of and you need to be able to afford at LEAST 2-3 hours a DAY to their care.
Will you parents pay for vet care? Will they make a CC cage? Will they help you adopt? Will they allow for two same sex pigs? Will they buy high quality food and veggies every week?
If not, do not get guinea pigs.
They are very expensive. We have adopted a new guinea pig who will total 400 dollars in vet bills. Add 40 for their hay and food and 20 dollars a WEEK for veggies. Total, we have spent way over 2,000 on the care of our guinea pigs in the last two or three years. Small doesn't mean cheaper.

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
You must get two. They are extremely sociable creatures and will be extremely lonely and ultimately miserable alone. Females are generally easier to pair, but that doesn't mean that males cannot be successfully bonded.

Before you do get them, consider the following:

Can you provide them with an adequate sized cage? Minimum being a 2x3 c&c

Can you provide them with quality pellets, unlimited hay and a variety of fresh vegetables each and every day?

Should they get sick can you pay for all of the medical costs that you may have to deal with? I payed a $5 dollar adoption fee for one of my males and am now up to over $2000 in medical bills because he has stones/ bladder infections.

Can you put at least 45 minutes aside each day to give them floortime and do daily maintenance of their cage?

Do you have someone reliable to look after them if you go away on vacation?

Guinea pigs are most definitely not easier to care for then any other pet. I find them more work then my dog. Are you prepared to give them the care that they need for the 7+ years that they live? It is common for children to lose interest in them after a few months and then the pets have to suffer from their owners lack of interest.

Assuming that you are living with your parents and may not be able to pay for all of the expenses should you be able to meet all of the requirements that involve caring for guinea pigs will your parents be willing to pay for vet bills if you cannot?

Guinea pigs are not toys, they require a lifelong commitment and you need to be 100% sure that you can meet all of your needs before you go and visit a shelter.

guineapigsrock1

Cavy Gazer
I know that I am responsible, and that I won't lose interest because he/she will be right there, in my room, where I am in almost every other hour. And it's more of my dad who doesn't like them. My mom is all on board with C&C cage. And what you are posting has nothing to do with my original question, WHICH SEX ARE MORE COMPATABLE? I know that I need 2 guinea pigs to take care of each other, but my mom is home all day so she can be there for it/them. She just doesn't want me to get one now because my school choir is having a musical, and I have to be there (at school) almost all day. I have wanted a guinea pig since I was in third grade, so I don't think I'll ever lose intrest. I will soon buy all the supplies for the cage (C&C of course!) I just need to find the Coroplast. If I can play the flute for about 2 hours in one day, I think I can handle playing with a guinea pig for at least 45 minutes! I go grocery shopping every week and I love oranges, so getting them vitamin C will be no problem. My family is a "salad with every meal" family so vegetables should be no problem either. We also have birds and one hamster (the last living out of a family of 7 plus the mom!) and fish, so we go to the pet store a lot, so hay and food is out of the way. The only problem I'm having now isWHICH SEX IS EASIER, HOW TO CATPROOF THE CAGE, and WHERE TO FIND COROPLAST! I only want THOSE QUESTIONS ANSWERED, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
Everything that has been said so far is 100% right.

I would like to repeat, guinea pigs are NOT easy animals and are NOT "beginner pets". My wild and crazy puppy is way easier to care for than my guinea pigs. Their vet bills are generally double, or even triple, of a dogs vet bills. It cost us about $100 to treat a basic infection in our eldest guinea pig, Freya.

Our newly adopted pig, Lyla, that we have had for five days was just diagnosed with glaucoma in her left eye. The basic visit cost us $38 and to get the pressure in her eye checked cost us $12. Lyla was prescribed eye drops to help with the pressure until we get the surgery and they cost us $20. Lyla has to go back to the vet on Friday to monitor her eye pressure, which will cost us $50 again. She also has to get her eye removed and that will cost us around $300.

We spent $40 on high quality hay and pellets from Kleenmama's Hayloft, which is an online store. Like my sister, TwilightStar, stated, we spend roughly $20 a week on veggies. Oh, and the fleece needs washed weekly and we now have two cages to clean, so I buy a bottle of laundry detergent at least once a month and it costs me around $10 per bottle.

What I am getting at is that they are not cheap. Are you prepared for the possibilities? If not, please reconsider getting a pet. They deserve the best care possible.

EDIT:
Some people prefer one sex over the other, it is a personal preference, not an exact answer. However, males do require more exercise and this need larger cages than females. If you had two males, you need a least a 2x4 cage, but with females the minimum is a 2x3.

If you do a forum search you will find the answer to your second question.

To find coroplast, go here and fill out your information;
Guinea Pig Supplies

Last edited:

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
I know that I am responsible, and that I won't lose interest because he/she will be right there, in my room, where I am in almost every other hour. And it's more of my dad who doesn't like them. My mom is all on board with C&C cage. And what you are posting has nothing to do with my original question, WHICH SEX ARE MORE COMPATABLE? I know that I need 2 guinea pigs to take care of each other, but my mom is home all day so she can be there for it/them. She just doesn't want me to get one now because my school choir is having a musical, and I have to be there (at school) almost all day. I have wanted a guinea pig since I was in third grade, so I don't think I'll ever lose intrest. I will soon buy all the supplies for the cage (C&C of course!) I just need to find the Coroplast. If I can play the flute for about 2 hours in one day, I think I can handle playing with a guinea pig for at least 45 minutes! I go grocery shopping every week and I love oranges, so getting them vitamin C will be no problem. My family is a "salad with every meal" family so vegetables should be no problem either. We also have birds and one hamster (the last living out of a family of 7 plus the mom!) and fish, so we go to the pet store a lot, so hay and food is out of the way. The only problem I'm having now isWHICH SEX IS EASIER, HOW TO CATPROOF THE CAGE, and WHERE TO FIND COROPLAST! I only want THOSE QUESTIONS ANSWERED, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Oranges are not something that is high in Vit C, and should be limited to 1-2 times a week, and can cause mouth sores.
Guinea pigs need a wide range of vegetables (no iceburg) to meet their nutritional needs.
Pet store hay and food is usually crap, unless you can find oxbow. I'd suggest buying KMS online, as it is the best quality.
Another thing you did not address is who will be paying the vet bills.
Sexes are not easier, and are pretty much similar, although males need their anus cleaned. (Not really sure how often or if it's just when their impacted, never had males.)
Cage proofing the cage would entail a simple top to the cage that is secure, and a secure area for the cage to sit on.
Coroplast can be purchased from sign shops.

lissie

Cavy Slave
There is no concrete answer for you. Each piggie is different. For a match, it totally depends on the personality of the pigs, not their sex. Some people try to introduce females and never succeed because one of the females is very dominant. Some people try to introduce neutered male to a female and the female rejected him. Some male pigs don't get along with each other but will get along with another male pig.

To cat proof C&C cage, you can add a top. Look in the gallery. There are many ideas.

Try this place for coroplast:
(broken link removed)
Call sign stores in your area.

louie_joey

Cavy Slave

I answered your original question. You never did ask how to catproof the cage or where to find coro. You may not want to hear what we have to say regarding other aspects of your post, but it is only the truth. We are only doing out best to inform you. To answer your original question again: Neither sex is 'easier' per say. Females may be less difficult to bond, but males can be bonded too. Please read all of the stickies and do your research before going out to adopt.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
While responsibility is quite important when owning your own guinea pig, maturity may be just as important.

I know you said you won't lose interest, but there is a chance that you will. Day in and day out, it gets tiring to feed and care for a guinea pig for as long as seven years, especially with social activities, extracurriculars, and other outings heading your way as you get into high school. Even though you have wanted a pig for a long time, you may find that you do not enjoy the care as much as you thought you would. Please do not get upset - I am only trying to warn you that there is a lot of work involved and there is a possibility you will end up losing interest.

Yes, your mom will be home all day, but that doesn't mean she will be with the guinea pig at all hours. Like most moms, she has stuff to do - house cleaning, shopping, and other activities that will limit the amount of time she can spend with a guinea pig. You can't rely on her to be the companion to the guinea pig. While a human's company is so very important, a guinea pig NEEDS a friend for those times when you're just too busy. You will get busy and there will be days when you won't be able to spend as much time as you would like with your guinea pigs. In those instances, it will be crucial your guinea pig has a friend. It's so much more than just having a friend, though - it is a playmate, someone to talk to (we don't speak their language, remember), and someone to snuggle with. Humans cannot take the place of a guinea pig's friend. In order for your guinea pig to be happy, you need to have at least two guinea pigs.

The basic answer is that both sexes can be bonded into a pair. You can bond a male with a male and a female with a female, there is hardly a difference. Simply stated, there is no concrete answer, since it depends largely on the personality and temperament of each guinea pig.

Similarly, both genders require the same level of care. A male is not going to be easier to care for than a female or vice versa. Males are known for being calmer and cuddlier, while girls tend to be a little more active. However, these are largely stereotypes that have been proved false many a time. You will find cuddly and calm girls, just you will find active and playful boys. Some males need monthly cleanings of their anal sac, which is neither challenging nor time-consuming. Above all else, you need to first consider whether you have two hours or more each day to provide care, feeding, and handling to your guinea pigs.

If you're going to be at school for the majority of the day, getting a guinea pig is not really an option right now. Wait until your parents are 100% agreeing to everything - a C&C cage, two pigs, and the purchasing of high-quality food. Make sure they are ready to pay vet bills, because there will be instances where your guinea pig will need vet care immediately and there will be no time to consider the costs.

Your guinea pigs will not be able to eat the crappy pellets or hay sold at pet stores unless you can find Oxbow. You need to get high-quality pellets and hay such as Oxbow or Kleenmama's, usually sold in higher-end or more specialty pet stores or online. You might not be able to find quality pellets or hay at your local pet store, so there is a bit of an inconvenience there if you will need to go out of your way to find the right stuff.

You can catproof a cage by building a top for it with extra grids. You can zip tie the grid cover to the rest of the cage along the back "wall." Coroplast can be found (broken link removed)(Lissie's link) or at sign shops. The C&C cage site, here, explains a bit more.

If you haven't already, please check out Guinea Lynx.

Last edited:

lissie

Cavy Slave
Not all females are easy to bond either. I have a friend who will testify to that.
Males and females have different medical issues too.
Males can get impaction, females can get ovarian cyst.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
As you can see, there are pros and cons to both genders. Either way you go, you'll end up with an animal that needs handling, exercise, feeding, and care - every single day, no matter what mood you're in or whether you're tired or not. I'm not trying to discourage you from getting a guinea pig, only trying to prepare you for the huge responsibility of adopting your own pet.

We have seen many instances where a kid got a guinea pig even though the parents weren't entirely agreeing to it. It's been time and time again that we hear of the parents not agreeing to buy [more expensive] high-quality food, pay vet bills, get a friend for the guinea pig or buy a large cage. The moral of the story is that a child cannot meet the needs of a guinea pig without the help and support of her parents. That is why it is so crucial that your parents are 100% on board with all the care requirements of a guinea pig.

I'm not an adult, and I'm not trying to talk down to you. I'm stating the truth. I'm lucky to have parents who provide their money to me so that I can pay for the proper vet care, housing, and nutrition for my guinea pigs, even though it may be expensive or a little inconvenient for them. It's important to me that my guinea pigs are healthy and happy, and my parents see that. If yours don't, then the sad truth is that it simply isn't the right environment for a guinea pig.

If your parents aren't ready for a guinea pig of your own, perhaps you can volunteer with a small animal rescue or a humane society in your area that rescues and adopts out guinea pigs. Just being able to interact with and care for guinea pigs is a gift all its own. Once your parents see how well you can care for guinea pigs, maybe they will be ready to make the commitment.

Good luck!

guineapigsrock1

Cavy Gazer
I'm sorry, I posted that when I was hungry, and I'm mad when I'm hungry.:sorry: I know that guinea pigs aren't "beginner pets" but I've taken care of my cat, hamsters, birds, and fish, so I think I'm ready to handle a guinea pig. Please forgive me for being so mean! But I really do need to know how to catproof it. Once I read what I put down, I realized it really made me sound like a brat. I know oranges can cause mouth sores (and rashes on me, but they still taste good :silly:) I think I've wanted to get a girl from the beginning, but I just wanted to make sure. My whole family will be help me take care of it (as long as I "feed it and clean it's cage" according to my mom). Once again, I really, truly, completely, am super duperly sorry! I don't want to rethink getting a guinea pig though. I know that deep inside my heart, I am 100% guinea pig lover. I know someone that has a guinea pig, and she says that even though they're fun, they are hard to take care of. I agree with that but I still think that I have as much a chance of taking care of a guinea pig as anyone on this website does, so please, do not judge me just because I am younger, or that my dad doesn't think I'm ready. I know that if I believe in myself, I can make it through. (I'd just really like to say sorry if I offended you with my earlier reply:sorry:)

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry, I posted that when I was hungry, and I'm mad when I'm hungry.:sorry: I know that guinea pigs aren't "beginner pets" but I've taken care of my cat, hamsters, birds, and fish, so I think I'm ready to handle a guinea pig. Please forgive me for being so mean! But I really do need to know how to catproof it. Once I read what I put down, I realized it really made me sound like a brat. I know oranges can cause mouth sores (and rashes on me, but they still taste good :silly:) I think I've wanted to get a girl from the beginning, but I just wanted to make sure. My whole family will be help me take care of it (as long as I "feed it and clean it's cage" according to my mom). Once again, I really, truly, completely, am super duperly sorry! I don't want to rethink getting a guinea pig though. I know that deep inside my heart, I am 100% guinea pig lover. I know someone that has a guinea pig, and she says that even though they're fun, they are hard to take care of. I agree with that but I still think that I have as much a chance of taking care of a guinea pig as anyone on this website does, so please, do not judge me just because I am younger, or that my dad doesn't think I'm ready. I know that if I believe in myself, I can make it through. (I'd just really like to say sorry if I offended you with my earlier reply:sorry:)
Wait to your older and have the means to support them.
I love a lot of things that I can't have. For example, I'd love to have more dogs. However, with my job, I can only support my guinea pigs. Instead, I volunteer at an animal shelter and spend time with all kinds of homeless dogs. One day, with a better job, I will have the dogs I want. For now, I am content waiting until I know for sure I can give them the best life possible. If you parents won't cover ALL costs (Vet, food, housing,etc) then you should wait until you're older. In the mean time, try volunteering. It's great excerise, you meet new people, and most important, you help and improve animal's lives in need. It takes great maturity to put your pet's happiness over your own.

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
No one was offended. Please make sure that you get two pigs (of the same sex!) as opposed to just one. A single pig is an unhappy pig. Good luck in your search, and please adopt, don't buy from a pet store/breeder. Read all of the stickies at the top of each section. I also found it helpful to go back into the older pages and just read through some threads, you pick up on a lot of neat stuff. Please make sure that you are 100% ready for taking on the responsibility of the pigs. I know you desperately want one, but make sure that adopting them is in the best interest of everyone involved and not just because you are dying for one. As suggested above, go to your local shelter and spend some time with the pigs there so you can get a feel for what they are like.

Good luck.

guineapigsrock1

Cavy Gazer
Thanks, I also want to make it clear that I'm getting a guinea pig after my choir musical is over. I also just talked it over with my mom, I am getting 2. One for me and MAYBE (just maybe!) the other one for my sister (because she still has a hamster...). :D

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
Thanks, I also want to make it clear that I'm getting a guinea pig after my choir musical is over. I also just talked it over with my mom, I am getting 2. One for me and MAYBE (just maybe!) the other one for my sister (because she still has a hamster...). :D
Do not buy them for a pet store/breeder, but rather, give a second chance to an animal who might not see tomorrow.

louie_joey

Cavy Slave

Kept in the same cage though, right?

It's good that you have some time. Do your research, get all of the cage/ supplies etc ready now and keep an eye on your local shelters' websites.

guineapigsrock1

Cavy Gazer
Wait to your older and have the means to support them.
I love a lot of things that I can't have. For example, I'd love to have more dogs. However, with my job, I can only support my guinea pigs. Instead, I volunteer at an animal shelter and spend time with all kinds of homeless dogs. One day, with a better job, I will have the dogs I want. For now, I am content waiting until I know for sure I can give them the best life possible. If you parents won't cover ALL costs (Vet, food, housing,etc) then you should wait until you're older. In the mean time, try volunteering. It's great excerise, you meet new people, and most important, you help and improve animal's lives in need. It takes great maturity to put your pet's happiness over your own.

My grandpa in Spain gives me $100.00 a year, so I think I can cover the cost of the guinea pigs. I don't want to get her spayed, so the only reason to go would be if they are sick (I think). I will try to convince my mom to pay for half of the food expenses (because she buys all the other food so half for guinea pig won't be too bad) My mom is on board with this, my dad doesn't care as long as he doesn't have to pay, and my sister is just excited as I am! I'm planning to have my dad call a sign shop, and on our next trip to Kmart, we will buy the cubes (the Kmart buy us is closing so 'clearence sale!' whoop whoop!) See how I can turn one really bad conversation into something nice (Ok, not just me)? I can't wait 'till February! ( Or March)

guineapigsrock1

Cavy Gazer
Kept in the same cage though, right?

It's good that you have some time. Do your research, get all of the cage/ supplies etc ready now and keep an eye on your local shelters' websites.

I am planning to get the cage set up first. And yes, they will both be in the same cage in my room. I have a table to put the cage on and catproof it, and I'm making a two-story 'top-on' C&C cage. I also have little tubs for travling, quarintines, and when I'm cleaning when no-one is home, or can't hold two at the same time.:cool:

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
My grandpa in Spain gives me $100.00 a year, so I think I can cover the cost of the guinea pigs. I don't want to get her spayed, so the only reason to go would be if they are sick (I think). I will try to convince my mom to pay for half of the food expenses (because she buys all the other food so half for guinea pig won't be too bad) My mom is on board with this, my dad doesn't care as long as he doesn't have to pay, and my sister is just excited as I am! I'm planning to have my dad call a sign shop, and on our next trip to Kmart, we will buy the cubes (the Kmart buy us is closing so 'clearence sale!' whoop whoop!) See how I can turn one really bad conversation into something nice (Ok, not just me)? I can't wait 'till February! ( Or March)
100 dollars is nothing, sorry. I spent 54 dollars today on my new adoption, for them to tell me to bring her back for another 54 dollars, to tell me if my 20 dollar medication is working or not, and when I need to get my 300+ risky surgery. To get a simple medication for my Freya, it cost 100 dollars. To try and save a severely abused guinea pig cost 60 dollars, heartache and lots of gas to have her put down to ease her suffering. If Lyla wasn't blind, we would be spending 1500 to save her eye instead of removing it. (She'd have to be under anesthesia longer, making it more risky.) You can spend all that money and they still could die. Guinea pigs should have a general check up if your adopting from a craiglist person to make sure they are in good health.
I have been pretty lucky with my five girls thus far. It is not unheard of for someone to spend over a thousand dollars for one procedure that they might not even live through.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.