Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

HELP!, New Pig With Scabs

So I got a new guinea pig who is 18 months old, a short haired sow.

I adopted her from a trainee vet, so I thought I wouldn't have any problems. I have found two scabs on her back and she has really dry ears and little scabs inside there too.

Her eye also had a small bit of dried up stuff around it too, should i give the guinea pig back, as she said she would happily have her back, I cant afford large vet bill's, that's the reason why I got one from a vet, thinking I could trust her.

What shall I do now? :(

Thanks
    Thanks
    365 Rec'd/255 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)

Re: HELP!, New Pig With Scabs

Yes. You should never get an animal until you have a good emergency fund saved up. Doesnt matter if you get it from anywhere because animals are who they are and everyone gets sick from time to time. Save every penny you can for vet bills. If you do choose to keep her you should read everything on www.guinealynx.info. It probably wont cost you much to treat her if she does hasve any issues and you should talk to the vet tech about what she was being treated for. The scabs might be the result of parasites and she has been treated but not fully healed.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    21 Rec'd/18 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If I were you, I would contact the vet you got her from. Since the person is a vet, maybe he or she would be willing to work with you. It sounds like a parasite to me. If it is a parasite, it is not expensive to treat. Although, you shouldn't get an animal if you can't afford to bring it to a vet. Animals get sick and need doctor visits just like humans.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs up Re: HELP!, New Pig With Scabs

Thank you, I do have money, I always have plenty for vet bills and regular check ups, I think I was in totally shock before when I checked over the guinea pig.

I have contacted the woman back, and she has took the guinea pig back letting me know she knows somebody who has all the products it will need for her skin, like the "gorgeous guinea's" range. So I thought it would be best to let the guinea go to that home, rather than the poor things having to wait a week why I order shampoo's and lotions.

I think its just warning to make sure everyone checks over the pig no matter what !!

Thankfully i'll be getting a 6week old female to become friends with my female, so no doubt I will be posting for advice on perfect introductions soon.

Thanks again :)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    211 Rec'd/125 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Lotions and shampoos won't help if she has parasites... She needs to be seen by a different vet and be checked and treated for parasites. May I ask why you chose not to buy her what she needed?

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    230 Rec'd/119 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hollie34 View Post
    Thank you, I do have money, I always have plenty for vet bills and regular check ups, I think I was in totally shock before when I checked over the guinea pig.

I have contacted the woman back, and she has took the guinea pig back letting me know she knows somebody who has all the products it will need for her skin, like the "gorgeous guinea's" range. So I thought it would be best to let the guinea go to that home, rather than the poor things having to wait a week why I order shampoo's and lotions.

I think its just warning to make sure everyone checks over the pig no matter what !!

Thankfully i'll be getting a 6week old female to become friends with my female, so no doubt I will be posting for advice on perfect introductions soon.

Thanks again :)
    Oh wow. Please don't get new guinea pigs when you can't even afford to care for the one you had. ANYTHING could happen, and what will you do if some thing goes wrong with this one's health?

7. "Thank you, TwilightStar, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    772 Post(s)

It sounds like she needed some ivermectin for mites, and possibly some antibiotics for an upper respiratory infection. Doesn't sound like this trainee vet knows much about exotics. Maybe you can refer her to www.guinealynx.info .

9. "Thank you, foggycreekcavy, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List