Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopt vs. Buy Reasons for Adoption vs. Buying

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
I have been assigned a social justice-type essay on a topic of my choice. I have chosen to write about why to adopt instead of buy, but I am in need of a few more points on why adoption is better than buying. So far, I
have:
  • Adopted animals are healthy and properly sexed, unlike pet store animals.
  • Rescue workers often have more information on an animal, including its background, personality, and age. Adopters to be matched with a compatible animal based on these components.
  • You save two lives when you adopt - the one you adopted, and the one the rescue now has room for.
  • Adoption almost completely eliminates impulse buys and "child's presents" since adopters are thoroughly screened, educated, and must fill out an application.
  • Rescues are not out for the money and have the animals' best interests at heart. They only want their animals to go to loving and committed homes where they will thrive and be happy.
I need a few more points, however. Any opinions/facts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
Hmmm. nothing comes to mind right now but I will think about this! Neat topic!

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
People who rescue animals are more likely to take care of the animal for life. Where as impulse buyers sometimes dump animals when they get board or inconvenient...

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Most pets from a rescue are spayed or nuetered.

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
If more and more people adopt, more and more petstores will lose the demand and stop selling animals, causing breeders to shut down.

Those who adopt are often educated greatly by the shelter/rescues workers about the care of their animal.

If I think of more ill let you know :)

idramaxx0

Cavy Slave
Many animals that are in shelters were either abandoned or abused. By opening your doors to that animal, you are giving them a second chance to know what true unconditional love is. My neighbor has a French Mastiff that he got from a breeder. He's a beautiful loving dog, but I don't see him value the good life he has. My boyfriend rescued an English Mastiff from the pet store he used to work at (well, technically stole/technically the store abandoned the dog with him but that's a different story) that was about to be sent back to the broker to be put down and you can just tell that he knows that my boyfriend saved his life and that he is eternally grateful for the life he has. Just an observation.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.