Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Repeated Sneezing

Hey everyone!
    I'm new to the forum but I'm in need of help. I got my guinea pig, Albus (Albi), about three weeks ago from PetSmart and noticed the day after I brought him home that he was sneezing quite a lot. Within 24 hours, I took him to a vet that came highly recommended and had him checked out. She said that nothing serious seemed to be wrong with him but he probably had a URI. She prescribed me 0.3ml of Trimethoprim-sulfa to give him 2 times daily for 14 days. Additionally, she prescribed me a Vitamin C supplement to give him for 30 days.
    He is done with the antibiotic now and although it seemed like he was getting better for a while, his repeated sneezing has been back for two days now. I didn't realize before but I know now that PetSmart is not the best place to buy animals and I am worried that he caught a bad illness while he was there. So what I'm wondering is 1. How often is too often for guinea pigs to sneeze? (Sometimes he'll sneeze once every 5 minutes for an hour or so, sometimes he'll have episodes where he sneezes many times in a 5 minute period, and occasionally he doesn't sneeze at all for a good 30 mins to an hour) 2. Should I go back to the vet for an x-ray or additional check-up? 3. Could this be something serious? (His sneezes are getting more violent)
    Other than the sneezing, Albi is acting pretty normal. He eats and drinks healthily, sleeps at night, runs around and squeals happily, and enjoys lots of cuddles. He has been refusing to eat his leafy greens but this is probably because he needs more time to get used to them.
    Sorry for writing so much! Any advice would be much appreciated! :)

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Ly&Pigs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5,431 Rec'd/1,918 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: Repeated Sneezing

Sneezing here and there is normal. What you are describing is not normal. I'd say it's time for another trip to the vet.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,146 Rec'd/634 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

He may need a longer course of antibiotics.

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    100 Rec'd/95 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Maybe a different antibiotic will help.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I too made the mistake of buying my pigs at a pet store and they BOTH came back with similar symptoms. NEVER AGAIN. I had to put the two babies on two rounds of antibiotics before the symptoms went away. You might have to do the same. Good luck with your piggies.

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the help! I have another vet appointment for tomorrow. I'll report back afterwards!

User Tag List