Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Stores Petsense

purplecandle

Cavy Slave
Recently I saw a new pet store in a small town near me. In addition to cavies, I am a fish person. At the time I had a betta suffering from a bacterial infection. So, I decided to drive to this new store because frankly it was a better option than the Walmart and my fish could not wait for some medicine.

I went in and too my surprise they sold no animals...except for a few bettas in the small fish section..but, besides that no animals.

They did however have about 5-6 cats from the local shelter up for adoption.

I totally get how adopting these cats earns revenues as the new cat owners will then purchase cat stuff from the store. But, this store does not keep the cycle going by selling animals.

I am wondering if this is a bad store or should I avoid shopping there??

Or maybe you have heard of it before, it is a chain, (broken link removed)

I do not like that they have Bettas in bowls, but the ladies working did seem to favor selling ten gallons with the Bettas and not Bettas bowls.

I can't figure this one out. They focus on selling only supplies and not animals (I guess Bettas don't count as animals, but I will pick my battles).

What do you guys think? What is your logic about this one?

P.S. I honestly want to know because it would make a nice "emergency" go to store.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Well, if they don't sell animals. It is too bad that they sell Bettas. I don't see why not.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I can't figure this one out. They focus on selling only supplies and not animals (I guess Bettas don't count as animals, but I will pick my battles).
Bettas are animals, though, and they are still being sold as merchandise, worth little more than a pair of socks. I think it's great that they aren't selling small animals or other pets, but I think it's this kind of rationalization that makes selling small animals okay for some folks ("well, it's not cats or dogs, so I'll pick my battles") ... To me, though it's a betta fish, it's still a life that has value and meaning and deserves more respect than to be bought and sold like an old TV set. Maybe that's just me.

I think it's a step in the right direction, but it's not a perfect solution.

purplecandle

Cavy Slave
Bettas are animals, though, and they are still being sold as merchandise, worth little more than a pair of socks. I think it's great that they aren't selling small animals or other pets, but I think it's this kind of rationalization that makes selling small animals okay for some folks ("well, it's not cats or dogs, so I'll pick my battles") ... To me, though it's a betta fish, it's still a life that has value and meaning and deserves more respect than to be bought and sold like an old TV set. Maybe that's just me.

I think it's a step in the right direction, but it's not a perfect solution.

Just so there is no confusion...I meant to say that they don't see them as animals..me personally it bugs the snot out of me that they sell bettas in a cup..so I agree with you.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Just so there is no confusion...I meant to say that they don't see them as animals..me personally it bugs the snot out of me that they sell bettas in a cup..so I agree with you.

It sounds better than Wal-Mart, who DO still sell bettas in cups, and don't even attempt to indicate that they should not be kept that way. I HATE that.

cam767

Cavy Slave
It sounds more like a pet supply store than a pet store. It is a shame about the Beta's.
We have a "fish store" in town here. It's the only place we ever got our fish from when we had tanks. She doesn't sell Beta's though. She has beautiful tanks, clean, constantly monitored, not over crowded. She has no problem with putting a tank in quarantine if she thinks there is a problem. She has a nice fish section and then sells supplies for other pets but does not sell other pets. If I can't get something from Agway or Walmart than I get it from her. If you bring you water samples to her she'll do free testing and then show you what you need to add (if anything) to your tank for health of your fish. She spends a little while with you before you buy to find out what you currently have for a setup, current fish, etc. With her help we once had a Tri-Color shark that lived for 15 years. This thing was so great that when my mother went to feed it she could put her hand in there and gently pet it before feeding. It would always swim to the top for it's quick finger rub before he ate. Cool.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.