Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

So I went to Pet-Co today

laura220

Cavy Slave
Well..all my fishies had HUGE tanks. Like to the ceiling, maybe not all the way but close..:D

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I have a 2 and a half year old hamster as well as Percy (i'm bad with breeds, but he has a cool white crown and smooth auburn and white fur). I got both of them at a neighborhood pet store that I absolutely adore (unfortunately, i havent found anywhere to adopt from in Richmond yet). The people there are great. The few cavies that were there always appeared well taken care of. They've always been free with advice...especially when they showed me the best/most comfortable way to trim Percy's nails and when i was afraid my hamster was dying. One of the employees took home a preggers cavy that some inconsiderate person left outside of their door rather than keep her in the store to give birth. It's a shame more places don't seem to genuinely care about their animals. There are WAY too many places that just treat the animals with the same, and often less, respect than they do the bags of food on the shelves.

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
But the question is....where are they getting their animals in the first place? If they really care, then they wouldn't be supporting the mills.

Sara'spets
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
But instead of SELLING them, he should do an adoption day, and donate the money to a rescue or shelter. He would still be getting people in the store to buy their supplies, and it would be great PR. He should also ditch the idea of getting them from breeders.
Still doesn't sit right.

Sara'spets

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Sara'spets said:
My friends all tell me in their next life they want to come back as my pet so they can be spoiled rotten.

I get that from a lot of friends and family as well. Animals in our house (2 cats, 1 dog, hamster, and cavy) get treated a lot better than the people at times!

Sara'spets

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
You can always tell someone, nicely what they should do. It is up to them if they want to listen or not. If youshop their, then you are supporting it.

Sara'spets

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
Hey...as long as you are ok with supporting a stores that support mills...then that is your business. Remember, every pig bought in store, sentences one in a shelter to die. Personally, I couldn't live with myself.

Sara'spets

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
O am not trying to make you feel guilty. If you DO feel guilty then that is all on you. Only you can allow someone to do that to you.

I am just stating my opinion like you have stated yours. That being said, if you buy your supplies from a store that sells animals, you are supporting them. You are allowing them to continue to treat animals as merchandise.

Your thought process regarding your animals not getting the proper diet if you don't shop their doesn't hold water. You can get everything you need on line. Many feed stores will order it for you if you ask. So, in my honest opinion, I feel you are making excuses. I'm not trying to make you feel guilty, just stating MY opinion.

If you spend 25 cents at a store that sells animals, you are allowing them to continue and are putting a death sentence on animals in shelters. And that is NOT just my opinion. That is a FACT.

Sara'spets

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
I am on a single income too, and a sinlge mother to boot. There are ways to make it work. Besides...pigs don't even need pellets. As long as they have hay and veggies. You don't have to go to a pet store to get that. You also didn't hear what I said about asking your local feed stores to order it for you. Then you don't pay shipping.

Also, I am not buying this "you do what works for you and I'll do what works for me." That is a cop out. You said, one person can't change anything. Well, not with that attitude. If you are not even willing to stop for a minute and think about this, to think about how the actions of one person can effect the situation negatively, then I don't know what to say. IMHO...you are all caught up in defending yourself instead of trying to hear what I am trying to say.

Sara'spets

charliesmommy

Cavy Slave
The Ferret Store, among others online, offers free shipping. So they're definitely not making a profit off that! Plus I've noticed that their prices to be very fair, either equal or less than what is asked at the local shop.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
The Ferret Store is VERY expensive. Do they have free shipping on everything? (broken link removed) is way cheaper and has exact rate shipping.

Sara'spets

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Critter Store- I would pay $26 for two cuddle cups and that includes shipping.

Ferret Store- Two cuddle cups for $32 and that makes me not eligable for free shipping. So minnimun $7 shipping as well.

Petco or Petsmart sells them for $11 each. So you are spending $4 more but not supporting mills.

I am not going either way. This is just my observation.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.