Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I Need Good Food!

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
I am wondering if there is anywhere I can find a list of companies that do not genetically modify or pump hormones or excessive preservatives into their foods. :yuck:

I am so tired of being sick or too tired to do anything all the time. I would like to modify my diet and see if it makes any difference. I've spent my life eating junk, convenience and processed foods and it certainly shows in my health. I'd like to be eating "cleaner", fresher foods.

RandomOne

Cavy Slave
Try eating organic. no preservatives or gm food :)

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Make as much as you can from scratch with fresh organic products, it's way cheaper, tastier, healthier & you know exactly what's in it. :D
And just look at the back of the products, if there's an ingredient that you either don't know what the heck it is, or contains a number code then ditch it.

It's never that easy to just give you the names of different brands, you generally have to put some time into changing your whole diet & educate yourself to get it right. A dietitian would be ideal to help you with different menus that would fit your bodytype & metabolism.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
Three things that really have helped me:
-Drink at least 2 cups [or as much as 1 liter] of water first thing in the morning. Before you consume anything else. This means no coffee, tea, nothing until you finish your water.
-Make half or more of the foods you eat raw. When the season is right I go almost totally raw, and feel awesome.
-Try making more stuff from scratch.
Breakfast can be one of my "weak spots", since I wake up at 3AM to go to work, and nothing's making me wake up earlier than that, especially not food. So I make my own "on-the-go" oatmeal.
3 cups organic quick oats
3/4 cup [or less] of brown sugar
2/3 cup raisins
1/4 cup instant nonfat dry milk powder
Mix evenly, pour some in a glass jar [I use a salsa jar] and add hot water when ready to eat.

You can also pre-mix smoothies for yourself. My mom swears by this. Add a couple of teaspoons of wheat germ and instant nonfat dry milk powder [if you don't like yogurt]

I think a good long shopping trip will do you more good than any list on the internet. I was able to find out about a great local mill that produces flours, unbleached corn meal, "normal" pancake batter, and several other awesome products at our local supermarket... most of which cost less than big brand stuff! I may never have found them if I'd just been looking on the internet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.