Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

whats the best and worst?

What is the best pellets to give? I'v heard oxbow but what are some other brands that are good too? what brand are the worst to offer?

Thanks
    Thanks
    65 Rec'd/61 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: whats the best and worst?

Kleenmama's and Oxbow are the best. I use Sweetmeadow which is also a good brand. Most of the others do not have the nutritional value. Never use anything that has anything mixed in with the pellets.

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cam767 View Post
    Kleenmama's and Oxbow are the best. I use Sweetmeadow which is also a good brand. Most of the others do not have the nutritional value. Never use anything that has anything mixed in with the pellets.
    im talking like petco, petsmart pellets. are these brans available there? i know Oxbow is.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    194 Rec'd/138 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The only acceptable brands are Kleenmama's, Oxbow, Sweet Meadow and Mazuri 5664. Oxbow is available at Petco, though a big portion of people on here don't shop at pet stores that sell animals.

5. "Thank you, guineapigluver1, for this useful post," say these 3 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    41 Rec'd/34 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The only appropriate food sold at most pet stores is Oxbow. Kleenmamas and Sweetmeadow are both order only unless you are in the New England area where you can find Sweetmeadow in some stores.

Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I use Kleenmama's, I wouldn't use any other! they are amazing. You order Kleenmama's online, and its so easy

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I will check and see if either Petco or Petsmart carry some of those brands in my area. As for ordering their food online IMO, Thats a bit much. I personaly dont have an issue with either of these store and i will purchase the best they can offer. Thanx for al the help guys!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    82 Rec'd/71 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Feeding bad food can cause illness to pigs. That's an issue.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

glossed:You can save a LOT of money by ordering from kleenmama's, when i place my order for hay and pellets it costs me 46 dollars to my door for 15 lbs of hay and 10lbs of pellets. For the same amount of oxbow products through petco i would be paying 96 dollars including tax and the kleenmama's products are much, much fresher.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    132 Rec'd/80 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GlossedOutLips View Post
    I personaly dont have an issue with either of these store and i will purchase the best they can offer. Thanx for al the help guys!
    I'm just curious as to why you feel you don't have an issue with these stores. How you looked at this website?

http://www.petmartcruelty.com

Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm just curious as to why you feel you don't have an issue with these stores. How you looked at this website?

http://www.petmartcruelty.com
    Yes! I am so glad you posted that, people need to know how Petco and Petsmart are doing, I just watched a video of a PETA member doing an undercover investigation at one of them (youtube, you can search for it), and its horrible! I feel so bad for those poor little animals, I don't and never will shop at these stores, Im so thankful for Kleenmama's!

I will check and see if either Petco or Petsmart carry some of those brands in my area. As for ordering their food online IMO, Thats a bit much.
    What do you mean by thats a bit much? If you are concerned about it being too much money, you don't need to be. I was wondering how much it would be too when I first decided to get Kleenmama's hay and food, as Cavyluver already said its actually a lot cheaper than you would expect. I compared it to other food (I was going to get it from Drs. Foster and Smith, if I decided to get Oxbow) but Kleenmama's was so much cheaper, I paid right around 50 for 25 lbs of pellets, and 15 lbs of hay! and the pellets will last longer because you don't have to give them as much, only 1/8 cup a day
    Last edited by amanda_d; 11-22-10 at 10:55 am.

13. "Thank you, amanda_d, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shurrim View Post
    Feeding bad food can cause illness to pigs. That's an issue.
    agreed, they DO sell the oxbow brand at Petsmart tho.

Quote Originally Posted by cavyluvver View Post
    glossed: You can save a LOT of money by ordering from kleenmama's, when i place my order for hay and pellets it costs me 46 dollars to my door for 15 lbs of hay and 10lbs of pellets. For the same amount of oxbow products through petco i would be paying 96 dollars including tax and the kleenmama's products are much, much fresher.
    i might give it a try. Im sure like you i will get tired of wasting money

Quote Originally Posted by amanda_d View Post
    Yes! I am so glad you posted that, people need to know how Petco and Petsmart are doing, I just watched a video of a PETA member doing an undercover investigation at one of them (youtube, you can search for it), and its horrible! I feel so bad for those poor little animals, I don't and never will shop at these stores, Im so thankful for Kleenmama's!

What do you mean by thats a bit much? If you are concerned about it being too much money, you don't need to be. I was wondering how much it would be too when I first decided to get Kleenmama's hay and food, as Cavyluver already said its actually a lot cheaper than you would expect. I compared it to other food (I was going to get it from Drs. Foster and Smith, if I decided to get Oxbow) but Kleenmama's was so much cheaper, I paid right around 50 for 25 lbs of pellets, and 15 lbs of hay! and the pellets will last longer because you don't have to give them as much, only 1/8 cup a day
    Not an issue of the money spent, More or less the ordering online when i can just stop in at one of the chains mentioned above. One GP momma said that it is infact cheaper to order the pellets and hay and i might try it. I cant say that i will never shop in the stores for the convenience of buying bedding,toys if i chose to buy them and other odd and ends. I do agree what the animal have to endure is dispicable and unnessary and it in fact discusts me and breaks my heart.I dont purchase animals from these places but i personaly dont have a problem buys other items. but thank you a lot for your responce. I 100% repect your beliefs and applaud you for them!
    Last edited by Ly&Pigs; 11-22-10 at 04:17 pm.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,146 Rec'd/634 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The money you spend at the store is ending up at the same place.. the corporation does not really discern if you are buying a live animal, food or a toy.

Thanks
    Thanks
    248 Rec'd/181 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GlossedOutLips View Post
    Not an issue of the money spent, More or less the ordering online when i can just stop in at one of the chains mentioned above. One GP momma said that it is infact cheaper to order the pellets and hay and i might try it.
    I order pellets and hay in bulk from Kleenmama's hayloft, and it is a LOT cheaper than buying from a pet store - not to mention the HUGELY better quality! You may have to spend more upfront, but it works out much better in the long run. (Just do the math for a year's worth of Oxbow hay and pellets from Petsmart, and then price the same amount at Kleenmama's to see the savings!) Also, I love the fact that Kleenmama's delivers to my door - I have not shopped at a pet store since February!

As for not purchasing animals from pet stores, while this IS a very good start, continuing to buy other items from them supports them and their cruel practices. Boycotting them altogether is a much more effective way to let them know that you don't condone what they do.

User Tag List