Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Teeth problems with hand feeding

jtrepak

Cavy Slave
took my pig in to the vet yesterday he had a spur in his mouth and malculussion in his back molor. got the surgery done and now hand feeding him. he squiggles and fights during and doesnt seem to swallow any of it, it just seems to sit in his mouth or he spits it out. he sit there in his cage barely moving. i need help please Ive tried everything spent over 500.00 getting the surgery all his meds and critical care. i need advice how to get him to swallow it and start his tummy up so he can be my happy little pig agian.... ive watched tons of youtube videos of the pigs coming to the syringe and biting/liking it willingly. he is not like that. he wont touch any food or water.

Domino & Bedhead

Cavy Slave
Are you feeding the critical care with a fairly huge syringe? The one I used was almost the size of my thumb and I used to add extra water to more than the bag suggested so it would flow more freely. You have to get it down him whether he fights or not. I used to prop my little Ernie between my knees and put my feet on a coffee table so he was sitting almost straight up. I put him in a towel (looked like a little taco) and did leave his front feet out but he couldn't move too much and put the syringe a little ways into his mouth and pushed a little critical care in, just a little at a time. I gave him water with a tiny syringe in between the critical care to wash it down and he soon learned to love the water from the syringe. I know it can be tough but you can do it and so can he. My little piggie had malocclusion problems for 4 years and had his teeth done 6 times during that time and I learned to be quite the expert with the critical care and each feeding took me almost half an hour. The vet should be able to tell you how much to give him according to his weight and it is important that you find this part out. I fed Ernie every 8 hours and I did end up feeding him at 4 in the morning for a week or so but soon he began eating on his own. Sometimes after surgery he was eating well a couple of days later and other times it took a week so it can be a little bit of a challenge. If they give him meds that can also sometimes play with his appetite and another reason he shouldn't have much of a choice, grin! Just be persistent and one way or another he has to eat and even though they sometimes don't like it much, the critical care will sustain him and give him the energy he needs to get better. Guinea pigs don't retain water for very long so my little Ernie got a drink from the syringe everytime I went by the cage. The syringe was tiny and the water came out in drops and he got 2 or 3 syringes full of water but it worked. Please keep us updated and I hope some of my experience has helped. PS I had to use a toothprick to unclog the syringe sometimes with the critcal care so you may want to keep one handy. Piggie huggsssss.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I prefer the 10 ml syringes. I cut off the whole tip with a box cutter and file the edge smooth. Once the tip is off you have to be careful so you stop feeding before the black rubber insert gets to the edge of the syringe. I mark the syringe on the outside so I know when to stop. I place the syringe between the inside of the cheek and teeth so I'm not forcing food down their throat. I let them sit on my lap and relax before I start feeding. It takes longer with the 10 ml but I find it a lot easier. I've done it this way for a long time with no problems.

majortrepak

Cavy Slave
ive tried a smaller syringe and the taco (* wich works thanks!) he got down 43cc today but he hasnt been pooping or peeing is that normal. did any of your pigs do this. now that I know its going in I am wondering where its going? the vet recommended him 2 and 1/2 tablespoons of critical care he is on meds metacam and enrofloxacin. so iam hoping its just the meds playing with his belly and he'll start eating soon. ill update later. thanks guys soo much!

Domino & Bedhead

Cavy Slave
Glad at least the taco part worked and you got some food into him. There will be very little in the way poops right now because he is not getting much nutrition and if there is no peeing you have to get more water into him. As often as you can and watch his weight really carefully. Since the amount is small with the critical care got into him which is great for sure, feed him more often to try and get his digestive system working. You may want to call your vet and see if they have some other suggestions. My fingers are sure crossed for him and increase the water and more critical care and I know it takes alot of time but they are so worth it. I sure hope he comes around soon and make sure he is really warm too. :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
If he's on an antibiotic, you should give him a probiotic. If he stops pooing, you need to be concerned about him developing bloat. You can find information about both on Guinea Lynx.

majortrepak

Cavy Slave
I dont know I am super worried when I took him in on the 8th for all his surgery I had told the vet he was eating or pooping and now its the third day and he still isnt I am worried.

friddee

Cavy Slave
i'm sp happy that you're trying so hard, just keep it up and renember , the more often you feed/give it ddrinkin the better it wil be for the stomach becaus e you probably know guinea pigs eat constantly normally :)- still dont make it stressed by taking it out too often like with 15 minutes in the between :)

pinky

Cavy Slave

majortrepak

Cavy Slave
at 2 when transporting herby to a new vet that just does exotics he passed away when I reached there parking lot i saw him take his last breath. the previous vet did guinea pigs and exotics but it was obvious to me after noticing his labor breathing (* he had herby for 6hrs and only after I called for him did they tell me of the pnuemia) after the surgery something was wrong and as he told me that not only had lost more weight after x rays he had pnuemia I asked him why he didnt notice it before? but as usual no answers were given even though I was giving critical care and meds it was too much for his little body.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry. I know you did everything in your power to get him help.

HarelyQ

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss.

friddee

Cavy Slave
ii'm sorry. atleast you can be happy and satisfied over yourself because u have given him a good home. but it's sad.

Domino & Bedhead

Cavy Slave
I am so very sad to hear you tried so hard and he was very lucky to have had you love and care for him so much. Pigggie hugzzzz.

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry you lost your little friend. It's hard after all the things you did for him. However, know that you did your best and that he was much loved and cared for.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.