Thread: HELP! ASAP! My guinea pigs got in a fight! Bleeding!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation HELP! ASAP! My guinea pigs got in a fight! Bleeding!

Help! Please! I don't know what to do. My guinea pigs got in a fight & one is bleeding. I think he got a whisker pulled out! Please ): What do i do?

I'm scared!

He's not squelking & moving around. he ate a bit of hay too.

Help ):

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Ly&Pigs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5,432 Rec'd/1,918 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: HELP! ASAP! My guinea pigs got in a fight! Bleeding!

We need a bit more info. What kind of wound, how bad is it? A few drops of blood or a lot of blood. If it's a bad gash, you need to seek vet care and separate. If it's a few drops of blood, then it's a minor thing and can happen. If it's a minor thing I would not separate yet but if it were to continue to happen or gets more violent then you'd separate.

How old are they and what is the cage size?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The cage they are in now is a store bought cage, I had an emergency/big family issue where i had to get my pigs out of the house & leave asap. So they are in a store bough. .. I'm not sure if it's a few drops or a gash. . :/ I've never delt with this. Dylan (bleeding one) is happily eating veggies, not seemed to be harmed so i don't think it is serious. They are seperated of course. So i heard you could put cooking flour on the wound to let it stop bleeding? It's just a tiny little piece bleeding (nothing more) Dylan is also a year & 1/2.

Also, is this normal behavior? Oliver(the one that is not hurt & won) Is now popcorning and running laps in the cage, could he know that he won & be celebrating? Oliver was ALWAYS the less dominant. Dylan always bossed him around. oliver is 8 months.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    44 Rec'd/33 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

I don't think Oliver is popcorning or running around from winning or anything like that. They don't think in those terms, just means that they're happy. I bet that they had a nasty fight because of the cage size. Most store bought cages or should I say all are not even big enough for one pig. Normally two boy pigs need to be housed in a 2X5 C&C cage to live happily. Some still have their males in 2X4, but there seems to be more squabbles.

For now I would keep them seperated, it doesn't sound like the wound was too bad. But it's still bad enough to not put them back together right now. Once you're able to get your C&C cage back, you could try introducing them together again. Did they fight when they were in their C&C cage, or is this the first?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

They have always had little dominance squables no matter where/when (rumbling, chattering, butt nudging, mounting, ect) But Dylan has always been the antaganizer.
    Oliver was this time, & Dylan was the one getting hurt. & yes i do think the cage was most of the reason, they are normally (and also used to) the 2x5.)

I just need advise. How shall i patch up & stop bleeding? I heard of cooking flour a little on the wound is good?

Also, once i get their C&C cage, should i put a divider?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    110 Rec'd/63 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The bleeding should stop on its own if it isn't that big. I don't think putting anything on it would be the best bet if it could stop on its own.

Ultimately you want them together if at all possible. If they can't be together now then when they get their C&C back I would try to introduce them again (as though they never knew each other) and put them in their nice clean big cage. If it doesn't work out then, then I would put up a divider.

Maggie popcorns and runs around happily when I have Indra out for lap time. I don't know why she gets so happy. Probably because she makes a game out of looking for her friend, mixed with the fact that she can do whatever she wants in the cage without being bugged.

I don't think they ever react favorably to winning dominant situations like that. If anything I think they dislike being put in the situation that they feel they must be dominant. It is like when you have to yell at a kid. You do it, you know you need to, but the fact that you have to do it isn't really something you want to be doing.. Especially because of what happened that probably triggered the reaction.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank you. Dylan is doing great behavior wise. Although his lip (&right above it) Is well of course the mini gash but it is also bruised/swollen. It is in a very hard to reach spot. Good thing Dylan is VERY good at letting me handle him, but it is a sensative/hard spot. Any good ways to clean it?

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Ly&Pigs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5,432 Rec'd/1,918 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Flour/cornstarch is only for bleeding nails if you cut them too short. I wouldn't use it on any other wound. Just clean the wound with a damp washcloth.

If they were in a petstore cage, that's most likely the reason for the fight. Dominance issues over space. Males are territorial and can fight if not given enough room.

Once you get them a proper sized cage, then intro them again on neutral ground and if they get along well for about an hour then put them into the cage together. Make sure the cage is clean also.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks a bunch!

Great Advise, I'll keep you guys posted (:

User Tag List