Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Help! 21 day old male will meet his dad today

Cavy Castle

Cavy Slave
Advice on how to introduce pup Bandit to his dad (Rockster). I had them meet yesterday in the bathtub. Today is day 21 so should I just place him in his cage since they met yesterday?? Or should I reintroduce them again. Rockster kept smelling his pup and trying to mount him. Should I give Bandit a bath first so that he gets the females scent off of him???

I need advice please help. :confused:

KDonohue

Cavy Slave
His dad knows he is a boy, that is why he is mounting him, to show dominance. You should reintroduce them before putting them in the cage together. Put them in floor time in a place neither have ever been before. give them a pile of hay to play in and watch them. I would imagine everything should be fine because such a young boar really can't be dominant over his dad. If everything goes well and they go in the cage together just watch them carefully for the next few months. As Bandit goes through puberty he could start to challenge his dad and this would start fights.

Cavy Castle

Cavy Slave
His dad knows he is a boy, that is why he is mounting him, to show dominance. You should reintroduce them before putting them in the cage together. Put them in floor time in a place neither have ever been before. give them a pile of hay to play in and watch them. I would imagine everything should be fine because such a young boar really can't be dominant over his dad. If everything goes well and they go in the cage together just watch them carefully for the next few months. As Bandit goes through puberty he could start to challenge his dad and this would start fights.

Thank you for your reply. I will do that, thanks for the info and helpful advice!:)

KDonohue

Cavy Slave
No problem! One thing I meant to mention is that to this day my pigs will get in tiffs. They will always need to assert who is the dominant pig, so unless you see blood don't separate them and even if the dad is getting on the babies case just let them work it out. It is really hard to watch but they need to do it.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You also need to clean the cage thoroughly and wash down everything in it before putting them back in the cage together.

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I introduced two babies to two adult sows and followed the above advice. I also took away the adult's favorite hideys and replaced them with many cardboard boxes with several doors cut in each, so the babies did not get cornered in a hidey. Corner fleece tents help, too, for the young one to hide out in if he feels "picked on".

Cavy Castle

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for all of your help! I am SO thankful for this forum! I did all of your helpful tips. It couldn't have gone any smoother.:)
Here are some pictures of them getting to know each other for floor time.

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
Awww, love the photos! They're so cute. I'm so glad that everything went smoothly!

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Ooh what a cute baby, and very big for 21 days I think. Love that black ring about one eye. Looks like a prize fighter!
I am so glad the (re-)introduction went smoothly! I have a dad and pup too, 4 months apart in age. I got them when they were 5 mo. and 9 months but when the younger one was 9 mo old he started to challenge and it has not been smooth sailing since.
I really hope your two continue to be buddies and like each other always.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
Oh, ok, that is the absolute most adorable baby pig ever!

Glad things are going better with the boys!

How big of a cage are you having them in?

Cavy Castle

Cavy Slave
I am going to pick up more grids today to finish the expansion because right now they are in a 2x3 with a 1x2 upper level. I will post pics when I finish it!:D

Shurrim

Cavy Slave
Awwww they are so cute together!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.