Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

My Lola died! Help with feeding her pups!

Cavy Castle

Cavy Slave
:weepy: My husband went home for lunch today and found Lola dead! He said he was glad he found her and not me. I can't stop crying. I can hardly type this my heart is so broken. I need help with what I need to do for her 3 pups. They are 11 days old. They are starting to eat some hay but don't they need some kind of milk supplement?? Please help me for I feel lost about what to do.:weepy:

cam767

Cavy Slave
I am SOOOO sorry! How awful! I wish I could help. I'll send prayers your way for the pups.
Hugs to you. Lola was a very lucky girl to have you.

rr6pys321

Cavy Slave
Aww im sorry about Lola. You can get special guinea pig milk supplement from your vet.

lissie

Cavy Slave

Cavy Castle

Cavy Slave
I am SOOOO sorry! How awful! I wish I could help. I'll send prayers your way for the pups.
Hugs to you. Lola was a very lucky girl to have you.

Thank you cam767 for saying that. You have no idea how MUCH that means to me right now!

Cavy Castle

Cavy Slave
Thank you all so much for your replies. They mean the world to me. It is nice to have support from other cavy lovers right now.:love: Lola was so sweet. She loved to give me kisses. I hope I can help her babies start eating some pellet mash.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry. How heartbreaking.....

Stacy123

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry! How devastating! Just know you were a great mom to Lola and are a great mom to these babies. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your little family.

A&A's_Mommy

Cavy Slave
I know what you're going through :( It's SO hard when it is unexpected. But things will get better and she can live on through her precious babies. Everything is going to be ok :)

Shurrim

Cavy Slave
Just broke my heart to read this. I'm so sorry. I'm sure she had a great life with you. I know how hard it is for you, I wish I could do something, all I can do is sending hugs and thoughts.
I hope everything goes well with the babies.
*hugs*

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
You may not need to feed a pellet mash. Most babies by that age are eating regular food with no problems. Weigh them daily, and only supplement if their weight goes down or they appear lethargic.

Do you have any idea how Lola died? Was she eating and drinking normally? It's concerning, because if it was something contagious now the babies are at risk.

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
Awww... Poor Lola! Poor you! I wish you the best of luck. I don't know much about babies, other than we adopted one at 19 days and obviously he was not getting any more milk, I bet they will be fine with regular food... Aw, poor babies! Love and hugs, from Me, Doodles and Tux.

Cavy Castle

Cavy Slave
You may not need to feed a pellet mash. Most babies by that age are eating regular food with no problems. Weigh them daily, and only supplement if their weight goes down or they appear lethargic.

Do you have any idea how Lola died? Was she eating and drinking normally? It's concerning, because if it was something contagious now the babies are at risk.

Thank you for your concern about it being contagious. Those were my first thoughts too, so I called my cousin who is a vet and has owned guinea pigs for years, she said it sounds like she died from bloat. (which I have never heard of being a 1st time cavy owner)
I told her how my husband described finding her on her back belly side up and that she was twice her size! This is very hard for me to even type this without falling apart. She had been eating and drinking normal. My cousin said she could have had something wrong due to the pregnancy and we dont know if this was her first litter or not because of the stupid people we got her from off craigslist put a male in the cage with two females!
The babies are jumping in the pellet bowl and eating so thats good news. I also gave them some water with a small syringe and they sucked right up.

Cavy Castle

Cavy Slave
Also, thank you everyone for your kind words. They made me cry but in a bittersweet way.:love:

guineapig67

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry! My and my piggies wishes go to you :love:
I went through kind of the same thing when Olivia had her babies and one had died.
Its very hard on someone.

GuineaLove

Cavy Slave
My heart is breaking for you. I wish there was something more I could do. I am sending healing thoughts and best wishes to you, your family and Lola,s babies. I am so so sorry.

SquareWheels30

Cavy Slave
I'm so, so sorry! May Lola rest in peace. I'll be thinking about you and the babies!!

I think everyone is right about them not needing a milk supplement, but they might need an extra Vitamin C supplement until they start eating vegetables really well.

Cavy Castle

Cavy Slave
Thank you all so much! I am so thankful for this site! You guys are right about her babies not needing a milk supplement. I was just worried about them staying hydrated but this morning all of them were taking turns drinking from the watter bottle!
That was encouraging to me. I saw them all eating pellets (oxbow cavy performance) and hay.
As far as a vitamin c supplement, how much would the babies need? should I just cut up tiny pieces of the tablet and sprinkle it over their pellets?

Hollyberries008

Cavy Slave
I wanted to post last night but i got busy. I'm truly sorry about your loss :( RIP Lola <3

natashia

Cavy Slave
This is so sad, I am so so sorry for your loss. I hope your little babies are okay, and you can atleast be comforted that she had the best life possible in your care.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.