Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n What is happening to people?

iloveanimals

Cavy Slave
I'm not a vegan, but I understand. It's absoloutley disgusting when I look up guinea pigs and there's a picture with a cooked one. And most boys at my school talk about how they hurt or killed a rabbit with a rock or BB gun. When i hear them talk about it I say ''That's just terrible" or "How could you do something like that". They just laugh.

I also hate seeing stray dogs or cats because their owners didn't want them anymore or they were sick. If are animals are sick we put them to sleep.

I just don't understand how someone could abuse or neglect their animal. If you're going to hurt your animal, don't get one at all. Seriously. People have just turned cruel

katebkate

Cavy Slave
Report that little brat for animal cruelty. Observe how he laughs when his parents find out about the fine they have to pay.

Now there's an idea. I could always bring my ipod around me and whenever he talks about the way he hunted something (which he often does. He's cruel when he hunts aswell I'm pretty sure) and record it. Hmmm

catzeye21138

Cavy Slave
I am already tired of, every single time I say I have piggies or rabbits, people saying: I had a rabbit but then it got sick or old and then we ate it.

I'm not saying any form of animal abuse or the situations you listed are right, but in the case of the rabbit in some cases I can see the other side.

For example in the midwest, rabbits are commonly used for meat. I know my grandfather cooked my mother's old rabbit, and called it a squirrel. To them, at least at that point and time, it was perfectly normal and a way of life. Just a different POV...

From now on, I am not gonna be nice anymore. I am gonna say what I know about the way animals are treated to whomever has ears around me. And if people don't want to listen, I will scream it if I have to. You can choose to do whatever you want with your primitive lifestyle, but don't pretend it's normal or that you are right!

It's important to stay calm, and sound reasonable, even if they don't. I know it can be frustrating talking to people who don't give a flip, but yelling and freaking out has never helped any situations I've been in. It has always made things worse by yelling at them. It sucks, but its true. Most people don't respond to yelling, but gentle and constant 'reminders'.

babygirlhagen

Cavy Slave
I have NEVER been a big meat eater but last Feb took the leap to being semi vegetarian and in March stopped eating fish as well. I do not cook eggs or animal products but i do not totally avoid those in the grocery store containing honey or eggs or milk. Mainly because i dont know how to "safely"cut those things out. I do spend A LOT of time being ridiculed for being vegetarian. When people ask my why i simply reply "moral, ethical, and health"reasons. I recently got an email sayign she didnt understand that animals were to be eaten for meat and we NEED meat in our diet... I replied with something along the lines of that I did not preach my views on her about eating meat and then went into how much healthier non-animal protein is. That was the end of that!! PEople are DISGUSTING!!! My parents always raised us that having an animal/pet was like having a child. When you decided to care for it it was YOURS for life!!

Taraptus

Cavy Slave
I think the problem is that for a lot of people the word pet has become synonomous with the word toy. People buy an animal, often on impulse and get bored with it or never have any intention of looking after it in the first place, they just want one so they can say they have one.

Personally I'm against vegetarianism (not sure if thats actually a word but from the context I think its clear what I mean) but I'd never try to force my opinions on others and quite frankly when I have a barbeque I make a point of making sure theres a vegetarian option. Having said that if people do start mocking you I heartily recommend beating them with sticks.

Keekers

Cavy Slave
I would like to share a story on how idiotic and careless some people can be about animals. (Forgive me if I’m bringing a dead thread back to life here.) Our neighborhood has a park. Many children and kids play there on a daily basis. I was walking my dog, Molly, a Papillion. The next thing I know, I see this male beagle sprinting across the park. He was jumping in front of other peoples' dogs, and trying to attack them, and attempting to play with them. The first thing I could think about this dog is that he's a stray. So I try to encounter this dog cautiously, seeing if he could be dangerous or not. He walks right up to me and does the 'play bow' at me and my dog. I tried to grab the beagle's collar, (you could tell he was young and VERY energetic) and he would jump back five feet whenever I took a step toward him.

Long story short, I chased this dog across the street of the park, and ALL the way back to my house. That is a long way. Finally when i think he is exhausted, i ended up chasing him past my house, past a horse pasture, past another road, into someone’s backyard, with them MOWING, and back to the horse pasture. I grabbed this dog's collar when he bent down to drink a puddle of water in a ditch. I had no energy left. I found his owner in the park and went home. A few weeks later i found this dog in the park again. It was ridiculous. This time, a couple of ladies in the park tried to help me catch the dog. This one old lady had a few beagles, and knew about the breed; she said she would take him in if we don't find the owner, and if no one would respond to any fliers. (The first time the owner was standing in the park; and I forgot what his house looked like when i brought back the dog). We caught this dog again, went through about fifty houses to find this dog's owner AGAIN, and then finally found him. He answered the door and didn't say thank you when we gave him the dog. One of the ladies, (my friend's mom was helping us also.), spoke up. This is what she said. "If you don't take care of your dog, then we will find him another home, etc." Guess what the owner said. "I don't care." He grabbed the dog by its collar and threw it inside. A couple days later i learned from someone that he lets his dog outside, ALONE, to run around in the park, and the dog USUALLY comes back home once he's done romping. There are so many things wrong with this person. A couple weeks later the person moved. The dog could of gotten stolen, hit by a car, could attack another dog, get attacked… This just disappoints me. I remember the dog's name too, it was "Ozzy". And we spent about five hours trying to catch him. Just a little experience I wanted to share.

Last edited:

TigerzGirl

Cavy Slave
I whole heartedly agree.

I can't believe some of those stories! And burying it ALIVE? That makes me want to cry!

I have heard many stories from kids at school like this though, and everyone I know thinks its stupid to take small animals to the vet.

Its really pathetic and I wonder quite a bit where the morals of people went in the world... and sometimes I think if the world DOES end in 2012, maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing.

purplecandle

Cavy Slave
Long story short, I chased this dog across the street of the park, and ALL the way back to my house. That is a long way. Finally when i think he is exhausted, i ended up chasing him past my house, past a horse pasture, past another road, into someone’s backyard, with them MOWING, and back to the horse pasture. I grabbed this dog's collar when he bent down to drink a puddle of water in a ditch. I had no energy left. I found his owner in the park and went home. A few weeks later i found this dog in the park again. It was ridiculous. This time, a couple of ladies in the park tried to help me catch the dog. This one old lady had a few beagles, and knew about the breed; she said she would take him in if we don't find the owner, and if no one would respond to any fliers. (The first time the owner was standing in the park; and I forgot what his house looked like when i brought back the dog). We caught this dog again, went through about fifty houses to find this dog's owner AGAIN, and then finally found him. He answered the door and didn't say thank you when we gave him the dog. One of the ladies, (my friend's mom was helping us also.), spoke up. This is what she said. "If you don't take care of your dog, then we will find him another home, etc." Guess what the owner said. "I don't care." He grabbed the dog by its collar and threw it inside. A couple days later i learned from someone that he lets his dog outside, ALONE, to run around in the park, and the dog USUALLY comes back home once he's done romping. There are so many things wrong with this person. A couple weeks later the person moved. The dog could of gotten stolen, hit by a car, could attack another dog, get attacked… This just disappoints me. I remember the dog's name too, it was "Ozzy". And we spent about five hours trying to catch him. Just a little experience I wanted to share.

You have to speak up for these little guys, because no one else will. Next time that dog gets out, take him to a shelter. Call someone, if you are lucky you have animal control. A shelter or even euthanasia is better than abuse or being hit by a car and left to die in a ditch.

Keekers

Cavy Slave
You have to speak up for these little guys, because no one else will. Next time that dog gets out, take him to a shelter. Call someone, if you are lucky you have animal control. A shelter or even euthanasia is better than abuse or being hit by a car and left to die in a ditch.
I whole heartily agree. Sadly the jerk moved to a different neighborhood.

kaite13

Cavy Slave
I totally agree with you guys! One time I went to mexico and there were homeless dogs everywhere! They had fleas and wouldnt stop scratching, i was so close to tears . it was so sad!

xpiggersx

Cavy Slave
I have NO IDEA what is happening to humanity! People just don't care about anything other then themselves. I think that I wake up every morning saying, "I hate people"....especially my coworkers!
Long story short, I got pulled into the office at my work (by the way, I work at an Animal Hospital!!!!) to be yelled at for about 30 min. that I need to keep my 'vegan' ways/comments to myself because my coworkers are uncomfortable with me discussing my vegan lifestyle! I was shocked! My husband and I have been vegan for years and I am not the kind of person to preach about my lifestyle or ways but when my coworkers ask me about what I'm eating or why I am choosing to be vegan, I tell them. I tell them all about the suffering and cruelty these poor animals suffer through just for human pleasure. My coworkers think I'm crazy (these people are 'educated' doctor's and techs by the way), and will make crying sounds when I eat a salad because I'm 'killing' the lettuce and will tell me I'm gross for eating things like a Tofurky sandwhich. But it's NOT okay for me to make 'moo-ing' sounds when they put their disgusting hamburgers in my face! They put their nasty food right in front of me and try to put peices of their meat or diary in my sandwhichs or in my drinks!:sick: I just don't understand how I am in the wrong here when they are bullying me. I don't talk about anything vegan if they don't ask because I feel if someone is interested in my lifestyle, they will ask. My boss told me I was in the wrong and that I need to keep my lifestyle low key....or else! This too me, is just crazy. I really thought that once I started working in an animal hospital that I would meet people who loved animals as much as I do. I was so wrong. Sorry for such a long post, I needed to vent to people who understand. I really am starting to hate people.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
I have NO IDEA what is happening to humanity! People just don't care about anything other then themselves. I think that I wake up every morning saying, "I hate people"....especially my coworkers!
Long story short, I got pulled into the office at my work (by the way, I work at an Animal Hospital!!!!) to be yelled at for about 30 min. that I need to keep my 'vegan' ways/comments to myself because my coworkers are uncomfortable with me discussing my vegan lifestyle! I was shocked! My husband and I have been vegan for years and I am not the kind of person to preach about my lifestyle or ways but when my coworkers ask me about what I'm eating or why I am choosing to be vegan, I tell them. I tell them all about the suffering and cruelty these poor animals suffer through just for human pleasure. My coworkers think I'm crazy (these people are 'educated' doctor's and techs by the way), and will make crying sounds when I eat a salad because I'm 'killing' the lettuce and will tell me I'm gross for eating things like a Tofurky sandwhich. But it's NOT okay for me to make 'moo-ing' sounds when they put their disgusting hamburgers in my face! They put their nasty food right in front of me and try to put peices of their meat or diary in my sandwhichs or in my drinks!:sick: I just don't understand how I am in the wrong here when they are bullying me. I don't talk about anything vegan if they don't ask because I feel if someone is interested in my lifestyle, they will ask. My boss told me I was in the wrong and that I need to keep my lifestyle low key....or else! This too me, is just crazy. I really thought that once I started working in an animal hospital that I would meet people who loved animals as much as I do. I was so wrong. Sorry for such a long post, I needed to vent to people who understand. I really am starting to hate people.

This is exactly what happens with a lot of my so called friends, one of them put a hamburger bit in my soup, I almost ate it. I could smell it in the soup and I flipped out. When she went to the bathroom I thought about spitting in her food. lol

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave

Isn't that close to discrimination? Telling someone that their beliefs are "wrong" sounds like it, to me.

And this is an animal hospital and they are saying veganism is wrong? You don't believe in it, fine, but to be so disturbingly rude about it is shocking, to me, at least.

iloveanimals

Cavy Slave
Some people don't even care about their animals. When I went to my cousin's house she told me that her friend has dozens of pets and they dont even take care of them. The people have 3 cats who are free to run around outdoors and when they feed them they just grab some cat food and toss it at them.

Another short story:
A few years ago, there was a tornado warning. The people across my street had their dog outside running around without care in the world. My sister and I were hiding from the windows with cans of catfood, dogfood, blankets, etc. and heard barking. So we looked outside the window and the dog wanted to get inside the owner's house! We quickly ran outside, grabbed the dogs collar, and rang the doorbell. When the owner answered he said, "What?" and we told his dog was outside. He took the dog from us and put him inside but when we left we saw the dog in the backyard. Still outside. During a tornado warning.

NinjaPiggies

Cavy Slave
Sorry if I shouldn't bring this back but I just had to say this makes me sick. I wanted to cry reading those stories. How could people be so cruel? There are a lot of wild mice in my neighborhood. They're in our house, so we use sticky traps to catch them and then use vegetable oil to unstick them and let them free outside. Sadly not everyone thinks like that. A neighborhood boy playing baseball outside saw a mouse running around so he hit it with the bat until it died, then he went and bragged about it. I'm disgusted by these people! Even though I'm not a vegetarian, I'm going to be one. I was thinking about it already and now I'm sure it's what I want. It scares me to think people are entertained by hurting beutifal little creatures and I'm losing hope.

Catayn

Cavy Slave
Yeah, it's terrible! But good for you! Go vegetarian if it's something you want. Going vegan has actually saved my life I guess. I was always in and out of hospitals with completel crazy diseases that nobody could cure and after I became vegan, I haven't even had a cold.
People can say it's not related, but I am living proof that it's true.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.