Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n I need help being vegan

guineapig67

Cavy Slave
So, I recenlty went to the doctor because I was getting sick after eating milk products, and I discovered I am lactose n tolerant.

So I might as well just become vegan. But what can I use for milk?? Surely not almond milk, i'm illergic to nuts. I heard Soy milk isn't very healthy, but I love it and its the only thing I got.

Also, what are some good vegan recipies??

fresian.m

Cavy Slave
Darn it. JEALOUS! I was all set and excited to go vegan and my parents crushed me. They said I wasn't allowed to go vegan.

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
No, soy milk is fine to drink, according to this link there was an anti-soy article written by two women who were also pretty much anti-vegetarian/vegan and all of their claims are disputed below.

(broken link removed)

Along with almond and soy milk, there is also rice milk.

Also, remember that vegan isn't just diet, but it's also pretty much everything else; the shampoo/body wash/soap you use, the clothes you wear, etc.

Good luck becoming a vegan!

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
I pretty much avoid soy like it's poison. Here's why: (broken link removed)

Everyone always thinks soy is what you use instead of meat when being a vegetarian or vegan. I don't think that way. Experiment with different dishes. Many times you can omit the meat in a dish and it's still a wonderful dish. Eat more vegetables!

I personally am not vegan, but I don't drink a lot of milk or eat a lot of dairy. My family has a few shares in cows that we get raw milk from a local farm.
I hate the store bought stuff. It tastes disgusting and it's pumped full of hormones. Not to mention the horrible treatment of the cows.
However, as an alternative I love coconut milk. I really don't like any other "milk." But you can try different ones to see what you like. There's soy, coconut, almond, hemp, rice and oat. There may be others too.
You can make your own yogurt using coconut milk. And your own ice cream. Plus it's fun!

For body and hair products my favorite product is Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap. I use it for my hair and body. And hand washing. And a million other ways. For hair styling products, I like Kinky Curly. I use mango butter as a lotion. I switch back and forth between conditioners. As for toothpaste and mouthwash, I make my own. But there are plenty of vegan brands.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Darn it. JEALOUS! I was all set and excited to go vegan and my parents crushed me. They said I wasn't allowed to go vegan.

If you aren't allowed to go vegan, can you get milk, eggs etc. locally? That way you can see how the animals are treated, conditions they live in and you know the person/people who owns and takes care of them. Or are your parents not with that idea either?

guineapig67

Cavy Slave
I use Bath and Body shops products such as shampoo, body wash and hand sanitizer. I read in the label it was not tested on animals.

I tried rice milk, and I didn't like it much. But I guess I can use it for baking.

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
I use a lot of Bath & Body Works products too, and while Bath & Body Works itself doesn't test on animals, their products aren't vegan (maybe a couple are, I don't know) and I believe the products in them are tested on animals, but the final product isn't.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Bath & Body Works are definitely not vegan, and I wouldn't even say they are vegetarian.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
Soy is most assuredly not fine, but if you must drink/eat soy products, please choose certified organic only.
As a tween/teenager [5 years] I was veg*n and I ate and drank soy products with just about every meal. Some organic, most not. Now I'm paying for it. And I probably will be for the rest of my life.

blackcat1313

Cavy Slave
I have read a lot of conflicting reports about soy. I will occasionally have soy milk but stick with almond milk. I usually only have the fermented soy products, such as natto, miso and tempeh, but it's rare that I have those.

Be sure to do lots of reading about chemicals used in personal care products and candies. For instance, everyday store bought marshmallows are not vegan. They have a meat by-product in them. There is an alternative, but it's quite pricey--$5.29 USD a bag. You can also order kits to make your own. Many companies tout they don't test on animals, but the companies they get their supplies from DO.

I'm not sure about Canada, but the US is VERY tricky with their labeling practices. The FDA lets a lot slide--i.e., something can be classified as whole grain if the product is composed of at least 51% whole grains. The other 49% can be whatever!

Sorry about my rant. My point is, please read your labels. If you have to wait to become vegan, at least you have time to do research. Then when you're free to not listen to mom and dad, you'll be an expert :)

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
I am lactose intolerant and do just fine with Lactaid milk (actual cow milk with the lactose removed). Cheeses and yogurts also do not bother me, as they rarely are high in undigested lactose.

Catayn

Cavy Slave
Going vegan was quite easy for me. I have turned from vegetarian to vegan about 2 months ago. You would not believe how many delicious vegan dishes you can make. I have actually gained some weight. PM me if you want recipes of cheeses (including one that actually melts).
I believe rice milk is the healthiest, but it's not good for cooking

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
I do not avoid soy, I do not consume huge amounts of it either. I think soy is fine, though all soy around here is organic and semi local.

Catayn

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I think they key is not to consume too much of anything!

guineapig67

Cavy Slave
I didn't really like rice milk. I can't have almond milk, as I am illergic. Is there any milk that I can use in baking?? I love to make cakes, cookies and other treats but it would be a shame if I couldn't make any. I am really lactose intolerant, because I get sick after eating anything dairy.

Is there any Vegan shampoo/body wash that I can use that is found in a store? (hair salon).

I don't think I can order PETA's Vegan shampoo because my parents say that there sure there is some in the stores.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
A lot of Tresseme shampoos are vegan, so is Vo5 and a few others.

Catayn

Cavy Slave
There are soy milks for cooking purposes. They work out great!

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
I am really lactose intolerant, because I get sick after eating anything dairy.

There is another possibility that might make more sense here - that instead of being lactose intolerant, you might be allergic to casein, the milk protein. That might explain why anything dairy would set you off, whereas I'm fine if I have regular yogurt (the active cultures themselves have predigested the lactose). Might be worth checking into. If you are not allergic to casein, you could always cook/bake using Lactaid milk.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Is there any Vegan shampoo/body wash that I can use that is found in a store? (hair salon).

Purology, I get it at my local salon. It's expensive but it's so concentrate that it lasts a long time and sometimes I have water it down when I use it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.