Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Thanksgiving

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
Thanksgiving is next weekend for us Canadians. I am wondering what I should do. Obviously I am not going to have the turkey (or the stuffing, boo hoo, my mom makes incredible stuffing!) so what do you guys do? I have heard of tofurkey, but have no idea how to make such a thing.

What do you do?

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
Tofurky

I am going to try the roast this year, Its available at loblaws(sp?) & independent gorcers. Im pretty sure its about $10.

Have fun!

CavyCrazyLady

Cavy Slave
I am lucking in that some of my family is also vegetarian, so they make veggie options to just about everything. When we do go to, say, my boyfriend's house, we usually bring some veggie options for us that everyone can share such as baked corn, green bean casserole and, of coarse, pie!

blackcat1313

Cavy Slave
Thanksgiving is next weekend for us Canadians. I am wondering what I should do. Obviously I am not going to have the turkey (or the stuffing, boo hoo, my mom makes incredible stuffing!) so what do you guys do? I have heard of tofurkey, but have no idea how to make such a thing.

What do you do?

I'm not Canadian, but we veggies do the same thing here--eat Tofurky! It's delicious, very easy to prepare and you can buy it already stuffed. My carnivore relatives like it too, but I usually warn them that they better leave me plenty of leftovers, ha ha! Directions on the box will also give you ideas of what you can have along with it. I like to chop up some carrots, potatoes, and onions to cook with it. They sit in the marinade and taste awesome!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, neighbours of the north :)

Louielover

Cavy Slave
I've been a vegan pretty much my whole life. And we make a turkey out of gluten every thanksgiving! I found a recipe of one for you.
Part 1: (broken link removed)
Part 2: (broken link removed)

Never made that recipe but it can't be too much different from what I make every year. Also we usually have candied yams, green beans and veggie stuffing!

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
I'm wondering if anyone has an alternative dish other than Tofurky?
I can't eat soy (or anything with stuff like soybean oil etc. in it) because I, and some of my other family members, have thyroid issues.

My mom makes an awesome vegetarian stuffing (that you could make vegan if you used a butter substitute). Anyone want the recipe?

Last edited:

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
TVP, rice, stuffing, sorry Im not much help.

I would love it if you could give me the recipe! I will make it for sure, I miss stuffing, it tastes SO good!

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
I found it on The Veggie Table.

Ingredients-
3/4 cup butter
2 c. onion, chopped
2 c. celery, chopped
1-2 t. salt
pepper
3 t. sage
3 t. thyme
1 t. marjoram
1 t. rosemary
1/2 c. fresh parsley, chopped
2-3 T. apple cider vinegar
16 c. bread cubes*
4 cups green apples (I'm not sure, but I think you could leave these out)
1-1/2 c. raisins (optional)
1-1/2 c. lightly toasted walnuts, minced
2 c. vegetable stock

Melt butter or olive oil over medium high heat and sauté onion and celery until soft and starting to turn golden. Add salt, pepper, herb, and vinegar. Mix well and remove from heat.Preheat oven to 350.
In the bowl, combine bread, apples, raisins, and walnuts. Stir in onion mixture until well combined.
Toss with half of the stock and check consistency - you want the stuffing to be moist but not soggy. Add more stock as needed, then taste and adjust seasonings.
Butter the casseroles (the dishes), add stuffing, cover, and bake for 45 minutes.

*You can use fresh and/or stale bread, but the amount of liquid you need will vary.

DangerousLily

Cavy Slave
Hey, thanksgiving has passed but how did it go?

We had Tofurky in the oven with mushroom gravy, celery, onion, 1/4 cup ground round and a can of water (once the gravy is out).

VegNews magazine also had a great apple chestnut stuffing a few years back, I always make it at Christmas time. I'm sure you could find it online.

partygirlha

Cavy Slave
Sorry I missed this and got in to late for canadian Thanksgiving, but there's still American Thanksgivine, next year and all the days before that...

I've been veggie for 23 years and the BEST stuff that i've found is Quorn. It should be easier to find in Canada than it is in the US - in the US Wholefoods and some smaller healthfood stores have it. Anyway, Quorn make s a roast that I have on Thnaksgiving, it's not shaped like a turkey on anything but the flavor and texture are really nice. It's easy to pop it in the oven and then I also eat the side dishes. I love stuffing so my moth-in-law uses veggie broth to make it.

Quorn products are great year round. I'll often cook up a roast in my toaster oven in an evening and cut it into cubes for mixing into salads or slices for sandwiches during the week. I'm also a fan of their tenders that you use like cubed chcicken - just little bites of protine that you can stir fry, add to pasta, toss in a salad...

banjosnotbombs

Cavy Slave
I know thanksgiving is past, but has anyone ever made a successful vegan nutloaf? I've tried making nutloaf before but it turned out to be more like a casserole than like a loaf.

MaryGoodnight

Cavy Slave
I love the maple glazed veggies from "Vegan with a Vengeance", mashed potatoes made with soy, roast pumpkin (from Vegan with a Vengeance but it might have been Veganomicon) , stuffing made with veggie broth, edamame as an appetizer. This year I'm going to make some food at my boyfriend's house and his family can try it if they want, I'm trying to pick a couple really tasty things that will go over well, maybe make some vegan pumpkin cupcakes or scones. mmm vegan scones.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.