Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blankets Review: UHaul blanket

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to throw in my 2cts worth about uhaul blankets.... they are AWESOME!!!
I started using them about a month ago (maybe 6wks), use 2 layers with fleece on top, made some potty pads with leftover uhaul/fleece and both me and the piggies love it. it absorbs wonderfully and is much softer than the washable puppy pads they lived on before. I didn't even think to look on craigslist but they sell them for just under 8bucks in the local uhaul store and one blanket fits almost perfectly in the 6x4 grid cage I have so I have a total of 4 for 2 sets of cage liners and still cheaper than the equal amount of sets of washable puppy pads. yee yee for uhaul/fleece! ^^

pinky

Cavy Slave
I assume you're using the Uhaul pads that are made of recycled denim. They're grey in color and are made of bits of pressed recycled cotton. They work really well. Uhaul blankets are quilted navy blue polyester blankets and are not absorbent.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
They are really great. I especially love how fast they air dry. I do one layer of uhaul sewn between two layers of fleece into a full cage pad and one homemade fleece flipper in my patio area with two layers of uhaul inside with no coroplast insert. I have one pig so maybe that is why one layer works for me. I will update when I get my other two piggies. I also use potty pads in the most frequent areas of the cage.

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
I assume you're using the Uhaul pads that are made of recycled denim. They're grey in color and are made of bits of pressed recycled cotton. They work really well. Uhaul blankets are quilted navy blue polyester blankets and are not absorbent.

yes I use the denim ones! just double checked and the uhaul website calls them "furniture pads" the other ones are labled as "quilted pads"

this is it: https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Protective-stuff/Furniture-Pad?id=2670

[MENTION=28226]Traysea[/MENTION] : I like how fast they dry as well - both in the dryer and air drying. I used to have to put the washable puppy pads in the dryer for an hour and it would still have a couple damps spots on it. uhaul stuff is SO much nicer IMO.
Since I expanded the cage I started using the base of the old store bought cage as a (giant) second litter box and since then almost all the poop and pee go in there so I might get away with one layer of uhaul but I personally feel safer with two so far, we'll see how it goes though and let me know if you'll end up switching to two layers when you get more piggies!

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Come to think of it, it was Pinky who said she uses only one layer of uhaul because 2 layers didn't dry well. Pinky how many pigs do you have in your cage??

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
Come to think of it, it was Pinky who said she uses only one layer of uhaul because 2 layers didn't dry well. Pinky how many pigs do you have in your cage??

I'm not sure if it was Pinky or somebody else but I remeber reading that somewhere here too - which is why I initially velcro'd one layer uhaul one layer fleece together and put that "liner" on top of another uhaul pad.... ending up with 2 layers of uhaul but being able to wash/dry separately to ensure thorough cleaning/drying. the velcro was a major fail for me though, ugh, it got all so tangeled up and didn't stick together during washing/drying. I ended up taking it apart and now just layer in the cage and tuck everything in as tight as possible using binder clips on the edges.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Yeah if you want to use velcro you need to sew it on and use the hook part in the cage and the loop part on the fleece, might also have to add protective tabs for the wash too. The uhaul pad is sooo linty i could imagine it being a disaster. I saw this photo on pinterest using velcro in a cage:

fa9209eeb808d1b023f20367f1af288e.jpg

If I need to do two layers I will probably just lay one loose layer of uhaul under my pad cut to the size of my base and wash it separately.

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave
My husband said that these have fiberglass in them? Is this true?

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
Do you use anything under the blanket? Like puppy pads or incontinence pads?
I use cloth diapers. They work great!

gatorgirl

Cavy Slave
RE: fiberglass I find that really hard to believe. They're so soft (after a washing) -- like pure cotton.

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave
RE: fiberglass I find that really hard to believe. They're so soft (after a washing) -- like pure cotton.
He said something about if I decide to cut it to fit to my girls' cage, that it would expose the fiberglass...

lissie

Cavy Slave
I doubt they have fiberglass in them.

"Made from recycled denim"
(broken link removed)

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave
I doubt they have fiberglass in them.

"Made from recycled denim"
(broken link removed)
That's what I figured :) I was going to get one and use it but then he said the fiberglass bit so I wanted to double check :)

StarknNemesis

Cavy Slave
Hello all,
Im coming into this thread suuuper late! I was just wondering if someone can explain to me how to use the uhaul blankets as liners.

My boys like to pee and poo in the corners of their cages. Currently i have 2 layers of newspaper, 2 layers of towels and 2 layers of fleece down however its been 4 days since i put the cage together for them and its time to wash!

I read some of the thread and everyone swears by these as liners?! Im new to piggies and have built them a c&c cage which they love and is super convenient. I have them accustomed to a hand vacuum so i can clean their poop out daily!

Just curious as to how many layers of the blanket are used, how you use it as a liner and how to keep it attached to the fleece especially in the corners they pee in.

Any and all advice is appreciated!!!

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Hello all,
Im coming into this thread suuuper late! I was just wondering if someone can explain to me how to use the uhaul blankets as liners.

My boys like to pee and poo in the corners of their cages. Currently i have 2 layers of newspaper, 2 layers of towels and 2 layers of fleece down however its been 4 days since i put the cage together for them and its time to wash!

I read some of the thread and everyone swears by these as liners?! Im new to piggies and have built them a c&c cage which they love and is super convenient. I have them accustomed to a hand vacuum so i can clean their poop out daily!

Just curious as to how many layers of the blanket are used, how you use it as a liner and how to keep it attached to the fleece especially in the corners they pee in.

Any and all advice is appreciated!!!

People usually put 2 layers of u-haul pad under a single layer of fleece. Some people even sew them together like the first person shows. While others put 2 or even 1 layer of the u-haul pad between 2 layers of fleece. Then where they potty mostly you may need to place a pad down. Like a small version of a liner that just looks like a pad.

StarknNemesis

Cavy Slave
People usually put 2 layers of u-haul pad under a single layer of fleece. Some people even sew them together like the first person shows. While others put 2 or even 1 layer of the u-haul pad between 2 layers of fleece. Then where they potty mostly you may need to place a pad down. Like a small version of a liner that just looks like a pad.

Would puppy pee pads work for this as they are readily accessible to me. Does it make sense to sew the liners in the fleece though it tends to shed all over the fleece when washed?

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Would puppy pee pads work for this as they are readily accessible to me. Does it make sense to sew the liners in the fleece though it tends to shed all over the fleece when washed?

Yes you can use puppy pads but I reccamend placing a layer of towl over them. If not the puppy pads tend to stick to the fleece. I don't know I've never heared any body really complain about them shedding. Also you could always wash the u-haul blanket first.

StarknNemesis

Cavy Slave
I bought 2 uhaul blankets and put them in on friday. I used newspaper on the coro as unbelievably a lot of it was still dry after a week of fleece towels and newspaper. I then put a layer of towels, 2 layers of uhaul and a layer of fleece! Time to test how long it lasts and i think the fleece will have to be washed first!!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I bought 2 uhaul blankets and put them in on friday. I used newspaper on the coro as unbelievably a lot of it was still dry after a week of fleece towels and newspaper. I then put a layer of towels, 2 layers of uhaul and a layer of fleece! Time to test how long it lasts and i think the fleece will have to be washed first!!

You shouldn't even need all those layers. I use a single layer of uhaul padding under a fleece pad that has fleece on two sides and a layer of uhaul pad in between. The coroplast is never wet. There might be a bit of dampness in spots where they lay for a long time but I wipe it all down with 50/50 vinegar and water when I clean the cage so it doesn't matter.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Ditto that!

I took Pinkies advice and I also use 2 layers of fleece with one single layer of uhaul sandwiched in between. I also use potty pads in the messier areas to protect the heavily used corners. and I have also been adding a small square of loose uhaul under the liner in her patio because she uses that area the most to make. The nice part about using pads is you just take the pad out and lay another one down. No straightening out tons of layers. It takes me 10 minutes to clean my cage and that includes doing the patio, the base, spraying with vinegar, and changing food/water etc. I rarely have pee to clean up on my coroplast. I used to use a thin waterproof baby mattress liner under my fleece but I haven't needed it since I started using Pinkies method and a couple of extra potty pads. The nice part about the single layer uhaul is that it dries really fast and cleans very well. And since it's sewn between two layers of fleece is doesn't shed. Uhaul sheds a TON other wise. See below for some photos of my cage and potty pads in action.

cage liner (folded in half, its actually twice this size) and two potty pads sewn up:
1236779_10201691759192923_1921971270_n.jpg

pads and beds installed:
1379772_10201879247160005_499965573_n.jpg

1380000_10201856513471677_2002964000_n.jpg

1383434_10201918555582691_922318167_n.jpg

You shouldn't even need all those layers. I use a single layer of uhaul padding under a fleece pad that has fleece on two sides and a layer of uhaul pad in between. The coroplast is never wet. There might be a bit of dampness in spots where they lay for a long time but I wipe it all down with 50/50 vinegar and water when I clean the cage so it doesn't matter.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.