Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blankets Review: UHaul blanket

cam767

Cavy Slave
What I was thinking about doing was adding snaps to the blankets and fleece. Basically a snap in each corner and then one in the middle (2 on the longer sides) and snap the uhaul blankets to each other and then another snap to add to the blankets. I haven't worked it all out yet but it was a starting thought. lol

partygirlha

Cavy Slave
I’m loving this idea. I currently use Piggy Bedspreads (for me they were worth every penny – as I really didn’t have any time to sew when I got them and they cut down cage cleaning time, giving me more play time with my boys). But soon I may need more cage liners and as money is more of an issue now I’m thinking about breaking out the sewing machine. But I’ve got a few questions,,,

Does the chloroplast get wet? One of the things I LOVE about my bedspeeds is that I pick them up, shake them out and put a clean on in the cage – no need to clean the chloroplast as it stays dry because of the barrier in the bed spread.

Do people find the U-haul blankets to be better than Zorb (I know it’s cheaper but this is sole about smell and washing)

Has anyone tried sewing a barrier fabric as a bottom layer? I’m wondering if that would affect how they wash up.

As much as I love my bedspreads my only issue is that the barrier fabric is on the bottom only and does not go up the sides, so with corner peeres sometimes they do “leak” around the edge. If I make “bedspreads” with a barrier and 2 U Haul layers, I’m going to make the barrier layer go up the inside walls of the cage, to reduce leakage along the walls.

I love the idea of an extra pad in areas that they “use” frequently. Should that be just fleece & 2 U-hauls layers? Maybe fleece, 2 Uhaul, and a bottom fleece layer? Or fleece, 2 Uhaul, barrier fabric? Any thoughts

pinky

Cavy Slave
What I was thinking about doing was adding snaps to the blankets and fleece. Basically a snap in each corner and then one in the middle (2 on the longer sides) and snap the uhaul blankets to each other and then another snap to add to the blankets. I haven't worked it all out yet but it was a starting thought. lol

You can use velcro, too. I used velcro to attach my ramp fleece to the second level fleece. It worked great.

hojun

Cavy Slave
Is it good if I have this sandwiched between fleece? The fleece is big and is going to fold over and under it.

Also, do I need to cut this for a 2 by 5 grid cage?

Holly&Fred

Cavy Slave
Does the chloroplast get wet? One of the things I LOVE about my bedspeeds is that I pick them up, shake them out and put a clean on in the cage – no need to clean the chloroplast as it stays dry because of the barrier in the bed spread.

If you don't put a barrier fabric underneath, then yes. I've considered just getting a piece of clear vinyl and cutting it to the dimensions of the bottom of my coro so all I'd have to do is, at worst, wipe that down with a damp cloth. Right now I just clean the coro with vinegar every few months. As long as I change the cage on time every week, my coro doesn't get wet hardly at all.

Do people find the U-haul blankets to be better than Zorb (I know it’s cheaper but this is sole about smell and washing)

Sorry, I've never used Zorb, but I have the feeling it's probably better for absorbency. However my Uhaul blankets last WAY longer than towels used to before they start to smell; I try to change the cage every week but I've been known to go two or more weeks without changing it because it doesn't smell and I just don't think about it. I do use an extra pad in the kitchen and sometimes an extra layer of Uhaul blanket underneath the corners, though. I have a 2x4 with two pigs.

Has anyone tried sewing a barrier fabric as a bottom layer? I’m wondering if that would affect how they wash up.

They wash up just fine with a barrier layer; they just take longer to dry.

I love the idea of an extra pad in areas that they “use” frequently. Should that be just fleece & 2 U-hauls layers? Maybe fleece, 2 Uhaul, and a bottom fleece layer? Or fleece, 2 Uhaul, barrier fabric? Any thoughts

My cage pads are just fleece and 2 Uhaul layers, because when you think about it once you lay it on top, what you have is fleece, 2 Uhaul layers, fleece, and 2 more Uhaul layers. I'm nervous about doubling up on the fleece, since you want to be sure to wick any excess moisture into the bottom Uhaul layers. If you put a barrier fabric down, then you would have to change the extra pads pretty often, as that extra moisture would just build up and start to smell just as quickly as just the one full cage pad did; only, you could change it without doing a full cage change. For me, I find that one extra pad does fine for a week, so I don't use a barrier fabric and just let it wick through. If I had a barrier fabric, I'd probably have to change it more often than that.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I went to UHaul to buy a UHaul blanket today. They said they only rent them and don't sell them to the public. They suggested I try a self storage place or Menards. I went to both and they only carry a moving blanket which is a cotton/polyester blend. Just wondering if anyone knows of a source in the western suburbs of Chicago. I don't want to have to pay for shipping online.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
That is wierd. Is there another U Haul place around? There must be. Chicago is pretty big.

hojun

Cavy Slave
Can I just fold this thing in half and put a fleece on top of it? This thing is pretty big. Should I cut it instead so it fits? People say they have two layers but do they mean two blankets? I have a 2 by 5 cage.

pinky

Cavy Slave
This is such a great idea! I finally found a UHaul near me that sells them. The weird thing, though is that the package said it was 68" X 85" but it was only 49" x 85". I'm going to get another one and use it in my fleece pads instead of cotton batting to see how that works.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I wanted to mention that you want to purchase a UHaul "furniture pad" not a UHaul "blanket." The blanket is a quilted polyester/cotton blend blanket that feels like a synthetic bedspread. The furniture pad is 100% recycled cotton demin and is more like a heavy cotton batting. I kept looking for UHaul blankets and almost bought the wrong thing.

partygirlha

Cavy Slave
Holly & Fred, Thanks for the detailed answers. I'm thinking of take off a bunch of time in July and August so maybe I'll finally have time to make new liners (including matching ones for the chinchilla cages).

pinky

Cavy Slave
I washed mine twice in warm water and dried on cotton and it shrunk about 2". I also had a lot of pilling in it and lint. I attached a photo. I'd suggest washing before cutting, just in case. I bought two of them and cut one piece and left the other one whole, just in case.

https://s738.photobucket.com/albums/xx28/kavykeeper/?action=view&current=IMG_8757_2.jpg

pinky

Cavy Slave
I washed mine twice in warm water and dried on cotton and it shrunk about 2". I also had a lot of pilling in it and lint. I attached a photo. I'd suggest washing before cutting, just in case. I bought two of them and cut one piece and left the other one whole, just in case.

https://s738.photobucket.com/albums/xx28/kavykeeper/?action=view&current=IMG_8757_2.jpg

I bought a second piece and washed it twice before cutting it. I didn't measure that one until after washing it. It's only 77" x 64". I doubt it would shrink that much so I think they must just package pieces that aren't 64" x 85" like the package says.

craftEcowgirl

Cavy Slave
I see on the uhual website that they have both Furniture pads and Quilted pads. Which is the denim and cotton?

areo298

Cavy Slave
Trying to find some in the UK, would these be suitable? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nips-Recycled-Furniture-Removal-Blanket/dp/B001ALX690/ref=sr_1_1?s=officeproduct&ie=UTF8&qid=1375523447&sr=1-1&keywords=removal+blankets others I have found have all said they were made with a high percentage of wool?

Also do you use towels/ newspaper when using uHaul blankets? At the moment I have towels, bed cover and 2 layers of fleece for 1 set and 2 layers of fleece, towels and a mattress protector for my other bedding set, however I wouldn't say they are all that waterproof. Any suggestions for using uhaul blankets and for what I am currently using?

sassysmom

Cavy Slave
Trying to find some in the UK, would these be suitable? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nips-Recyc...d=1375523447&sr=1-1&keywords=removal+blankets others I have found have all said they were made with a high percentage of wool?

Also do you use towels/ newspaper when using uHaul blankets? At the moment I have towels, bed cover and 2 layers of fleece for 1 set and 2 layers of fleece, towels and a mattress protector for my other bedding set, however I wouldn't say they are all that waterproof. Any suggestions for using uhaul blankets and for what I am currently using?

Hi,

what I'm doing now is using 2 U Haul blankets, then my fleece on top. I made fleece cage liners so I put one of those on top. I'm no longer using towels or pee pads. It's worked really well for me. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

skeller

Cavy Slave

NursePiggy

Cavy Slave
I would love them! Anyway we could work something out to ship them to SC? Contact me on my message board to see if we can work something out. Thanks!

SesameStreet

Cavy Slave
Great idea using the UHaul blankets! I just went on craigslist, and sure enough, tons of them for sale, cheap!!!! I am going to sew them to a fleece topping. I can't wait to get started!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.