Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blankets Review: UHaul blanket

StarknNemesis

Cavy Slave
You shouldn't even need all those layers. I use a single layer of uhaul padding under a fleece pad that has fleece on two sides and a layer of uhaul pad in between. The coroplast is never wet. There might be a bit of dampness in spots where they lay for a long time but I wipe it all down with 50/50 vinegar and water when I clean the cage so it doesn't matter.

The other reason i have this many layers is because my floor stays really cold so it will provide more insulation for their little feet not to mention a heat pad (yes its mean for pets) i put under one of their houses

pinky

Cavy Slave
The other reason i have this many layers is because my floor stays really cold so it will provide more insulation for their little feet not to mention a heat pad (yes its mean for pets) i put under one of their houses
Heat poses more of a risk than cold does. 60 to 75 is the best temp range.

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
He everyone,

So I just have a few questions because I am unwilling/too lazy/ don't have enough time to look through all of the 19-20 pages on this thread. :p

Okay so, how do I wash the fleece? Is it at least three times, no soap? Three times no fabric softener? And what really is fabric softened? Is it in the detergent? im sorry these sound like such blonde questions, but my mom does the wash in this house :) and what about the dryer? We don't have dryer sheets, we have those dryer spiky ball thingies.

And about the UHaul, how do I wash that? Does it shed? Do you have to specially dry/wash it? And how do you dry it?

Also, how many layers would you put down of each fabric in say- a 2x4 for two pigs- loft or no loft? And would you put bedding in the kitchen area?

Okay that's all! :p;):D

korryn92

Cavy Slave
I have a question about these too :) I looked through all the pages to make sure it wasn't already said since I don't really have anything better to do at the moment lol

I am terrible at math so this is why I am asking this particular question, How many 1 layer liners would 1 moving pad make? I am probably going to do 2 layers of the blanket but I figured it would be easier to figure out 1 layer :) I am terrible at math so if anyone can help me with this would be awesome since I am failure with math skills haha

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
He everyone,

So I just have a few questions because I am unwilling/too lazy/ don't have enough time to look through all if you want to speed upf the 19-20 pages on this thread. :p

Okay so, how do I wash the fleece? Is it at least three times, no soap? Three times no fabric softener? And what really is fabric softened? Is it in the detergent? im sorry these sound like such blonde questions, but my mom does the wash in this house :) and what about the dryer? We don't have dryer sheets, we have those dryer spiky ball thingies.

And about the UHaul, how do I wash that? Does it shed? Do you have to specially dry/wash it? And how do you dry it?

Also, how many layers would you put down of each fabric in say- a 2x4 for two pigs- loft or no loft? And would you put bedding in the kitchen area?

Okay that's all! :p;):D

That's great questIons to ask!
As for fabric softener, its separate from detergent unless the detergent bottle indicates it includes fabric softener (downy is an example of a softener).
No dryer sheets that's correct and dryer balls are ok I was told but haven't used it myself. They do help dry faster though and reduce static.
Detergent, I would use a natural detergent or a mix of dish soap and vinegar. A lot of ppl here use the latter but I personally use natural detegent from A Happy Green Life. Tide is not recommended at all btw! I would really go natural. What I use costs $11 for 50 loads or 100 in a HE washer.

As far as cycles it really depends on the fleece. I had two batches of anti pill and one I had to wash 4 times the other twice before it wicked.
If you want to speed up the process you can add vinegar to each wash cyvle. Make sure you wash before you cut anything to size as the uhaul and fleece will shrink the first few washes/dry cycles.
The uhaul itself I only washed once before initial use. I wash everything together and have no lint issues but I know a lot of ppl here do and wadh separate so do that if you wsnt to be on the safe side.

Did I forget anything? I'm on my phone sorry typing is harder that way. Oh I do use wood pellets in the kitchen but that's up to you and your piggies what you prefer

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
I have a question about these too :) I looked through all the pages to make sure it wasn't already said since I don't really have anything better to do at the moment lol

I am terrible at math so this is why I am asking this particular question, How many 1 layer liners would 1 moving pad make? I am probably going to do 2 layers of the blanket but I figured it would be easier to figure out 1 layer :) I am terrible at math so if anyone can help me with this would be awesome since I am failure with math skills haha

That all depends on the size of your cage, measure inside length and width ;-)

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
That's great questIons to ask!
As for fabric softener, its separate from detergent unless the detergent bottle indicates it includes fabric softener (downy is an example of a softener).
No dryer sheets that's correct and dryer balls are ok I was told but haven't used it myself. They do help dry faster though and reduce static.
Detergent, I would use a natural detergent or a mix of dish soap and vinegar. A lot of ppl here use the latter but I personally use natural detegent from A Happy Green Life. Tide is not recommended at all btw! I would really go natural. What I use costs $11 for 50 loads or 100 in a HE washer.

As far as cycles it really depends on the fleece. I had two batches of anti pill and one I had to wash 4 times the other twice before it wicked.
If you want to speed up the process you can add vinegar to each wash cyvle. Make sure you wash before you cut anything to size as the uhaul and fleece will shrink the first few washes/dry cycles.
The uhaul itself I only washed once before initial use. I wash everything together and have no lint issues but I know a lot of ppl here do and wadh separate so do that if you wsnt to be on the safe side.

Did I forget anything? I'm on my phone sorry typing is harder that way. Oh I do use wood pellets in the kitchen but that's up to you and your piggies what you prefer

Awesome reply! So as for the wicking- how do you tell if the fleece actually is? I might use the dish soap and vinegar mixture- is that for all piggy laundry every time it is washed? And also why is Tide not recommended? :D I ask a lot of questions cuz I wanna get it right!

How many layers of UHaul in the cage? I think that I either forgot to ask that one or u didn't see it. :D

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
I use all free and clear with a little bit of dawn dish soap just to start the wicking process. When I wicked my first fleece I used the free detergent with a bit of dawn in the first wash. Second time I only used the all free and clear detergent. Third time I repeated the first one and used the all and a little but of the dawn. Then afterwards I tested it by laying the fleece on a table and poured water on just a small section. When I took the fleece off the table the water had went through the fleece and there was a small puddle of the water on the table. :) It only took 3 washes for me and the more its washed over time the more it'll wick.

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
Awesome reply! So as for the wicking- how do you tell if the fleece actually is? I might use the dish soap and vinegar mixture- is that for all piggy laundry every time it is washed? And also why is Tide not recommended? :D I ask a lot of questions cuz I wanna get it right!

How many layers of UHaul in the cage? I think that I either forgot to ask that one or u didn't see it. :D

Starthecavy123 explained it really good about the wicking test. I also put a layer of absorbant material (a towel or piece of uhaul) under the fleece to simulate the cage situation when I tested for wicking.

as for other regular washes as soon as the wicking works, I personally use AHGL laundry wash and sometimes add a bit of vinegar. not sure if dish soap would do the job once you have actual dirty fleece/uhauls.

tide and such commercial detergents are not recommended because some of the ingredients in there leave a residue in whatever you wash over time, which diminishes the wicking ability of the fleece and absorbancy of the uhaul (any material really, even bath towels humans use). it also will lead to that piggie smell that's still on the stuff after you washed it. with natural detergent neither of those things happen (or if, veeery slowly over time) and then you can strip the fleece and uhaul.
it's really a lot like taking care of cloth diapers.... not that I have kids myself atm but Ive heard that from alot of people here and some of my other friends.

as for layers.... I use two layers of uhaul because I feel more comfortable with the extra layer just in case they pee more in one spot and so the coroplast doesnt get all yucky and I don't have to clean it hardcore every time I change fleece. I know some here use only one layer though. I think that's a matter of experimenting what you and the piggies like, how big you cage is and how many piggies you have, if they tend to use a litterbox or have preferred areas to pee/poop (in which case you could make potty pads for those areas so more of the actual cage base stays cleaner longer), and also how often you plan on cleaning the cage.

my piggies live in a 6 x 4 grid cage with a 2 x 1 addition which is the base of a storebought cage as a litterbox. I'm surprised how often they actually use the litterbox, except for poopies in the cage almost no pee spots - which I also try to prevent by putting 2 potty pads in their favorite corners. since I upgraded to this bigger size (4x4 before) and started using fleece/uhaul instead of only washable puppy pads, I went from washing once a week to washing every 3 weeks. I spotclean every day though (usually twice), change their potty pads at least weekly and clean the litter boxes as needed.

good luck! and let me know if there's anything else you'd like to konw :)

A Happy Green Life products are sold at the GuineaPig Market and also at their own store:
(broken link removed) (where you'll always find some sort of deal or special, esp if you follow their facebook page)

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
I use the all free because that is what we use on our clothes so its easy. I only used the dawn to start the wicking proccess I will not be using it when I wash it after it gets dirty. I heard some where on her that people have used dawn dish soap because they had a hard time getting it to wick. The dawn just helps the detergent to wick the fleece.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
as for other regular washes as soon as the wicking works, I personally use AHGL laundry wash and sometimes add a bit of vinegar.

What kind of vinegar do you use/get for your piggie wash?

gatorgirl

Cavy Slave
I use unscented detergent (Costco) and brush them well first to remove hay -- though yours are new. I dry them with an unscented dryer sheet. They come out perfect.

I wash uhauls the same way but WASH THEM SEPARATELY as they shed a great deal and will cover your fleece with gray lint.

As for uhauls -- I just bought a bunch of full sheets of them from UHAUL itself for only $7/per. Score.

gatorgirl

Cavy Slave
Oh and my wicking started working after the first wash -- personally I wouldn't bother washing them 3 times, but that's me. ;)

korryn92

Cavy Slave
My cage is about 58" by 29" last I measured it if anyone could help me with that lol I swear I am a failure with math lol

gatorgirl

Cavy Slave
My cage is about 58" by 29" last I measured it if anyone could help me with that lol I swear I am a failure with math lol

First, I wouldn't use moving pads if you are referring to the quilted blankets they sell. Just the uhaul pads. And I'm not sure what you're asking in terms of math -- you're cage is essentially 5 feet by 3 feet. If I were buying uhauls, I'd get pads that are 4x6 due to shrinkage.

korryn92

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I was planning on getting the pads since from what I have read here work great and the other ones won't absorb anything. Sorry if I confused you though :)

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
@korryn92 : the terminology gets confusing... that's what I've come to realize because different people call it slightly different names and the descriptions on the uhaul website are different again. just make sure you get the ones made of 100% recycled denim that are about $7. the "wrong ones" are sold for $15, so that's a hint too when trying to figure out which ones are the ones you want to get.

@Starthecavy123 : I use regular white vinegar.... the one in the cheapest bottle at walmart for example ;)

StarknNemesis

Cavy Slave
Heat poses more of a risk than cold does. 60 to 75 is the best temp range.

I understand but as the cage is open and the heat in my house is currently off, they have to cuddle under beds or blankets to stay warm and a heat pad too

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
@StarknNemesis : what kind of heat pad do you use? I'm trying to figure out if I'll have to add anything like that to the cage since we're in an older style apartment with a big window on one side of the cage.... (NOT drafty but just cold, you know?)

StarknNemesis

Cavy Slave
I understand but as the cage is open and the heat in my house is currently off, they have to cuddle under beds or blankets to stay warm and a heat pad too

Are there any tips for cleaning their cage as clean as possible from poop? I hand vacuum it once a day and they dont mind it. Any other tricks or tips?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.