Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Vegetarian Recipes

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I'll start off this thread. This is a simple dish anyone can make and it's so versatile you can make it with almost any veggies you have in the house. It's also easy to increase the ingrediants to make more then the recipe calls for.

Vegetarian Shepherd Pie

3 small-medium potatoes
2 cloves or garlic minced (garlic powder is fine too)
1/2 teaspoon Basil
2 tablespoons margarine or butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 to 4 tablespoons milk or soy milk or or mushroom (or veg) broth
1 medium onion chopped
1 medium carrot sliced
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 15oz can kidney beans (any beans will do) rinsed and drained
1 14 1/2 oz can whole tomatoes drained and cut up
1 10oz package of frozen veggies (mixed or whatever you like)fresh vegs work
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon Worstershire sauce (or soy sauce) - caution true worstershire has anchovies in it.
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (more or less to taste)
Papriks (optional)

Peal, cut and cook potatos in water until tender (~20 - 25 min) Drain and Mash. Cook Garlic and Basil in the margarine or butter until tender. Add to the potatos along with the salt. Beat in enough of the milk to make the potatos light and fluffy. Set aside.

For filling. In a saucepan cook onion and Carrot in hot oil until the onion is tender but not brown. Stir in Kidney beans, tomatos, Frozen Veggies, tomato sauce, Worsteshire Sauce and sugar. Heat until bubbly. If you like lots of chease like me add some cheese to the veggie mix at this time and stir it in until melted. *remember you can use fresh veggies. If you choose ones that are dense like carrots cook them with the carrot and onion at the beginning to soften them. Or you can precook them by boiling.

Transfer the veggie mix into an 8x8x2 baking pan. Drop Mashed potatos in 4 mounds over veggie mix (or spead it evenly over entire top. Be sure to leave peaks on the potatos so you get some browned crunchy bits -yum-). Sprinkle with cheese and paprika (if desired).

Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or till heated through and cheese begins to brown.

Maks 4 servings.

Last edited:

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
vegetarian chili recipe

1 small onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
3/4 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup dry red wine or water
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 (14.5-ounce) cans recipe-ready diced tomatoes, undrained
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup tomato paste
3 teaspoons vegetable bouillon granules
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 (15-ounce) cans kidney or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
Sour cream for accompaniment (optional)

1. Combine onion, bell pepper, celery, wine and garlic in large saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
  2. Add tomatoes with juice, water, tomato paste, boullion, cilantro, chili powder and cumin; stir well. Stir in beans. Bring to a boil; cover. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes. Serve with sour cream.
Makes 6 servings.

*This recipie is REALLY great if you serve it over brown rice

Last edited by a moderator:

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I know this really isn't too much of a recipe, but couscous is excellent in replacement for rice in many dishes--put a veggie stir fry over it and it's changed the flavor a bit. Adds variety as a side as well. Tastes a little like pasta. You can cook it in apple juice or any fruit juice, and it will absorb some of the flavor. On the other hand, you can put it in anything you like! I love it.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I find vegi-chili is really good with some of that OhNatural soy beef from Schiders. I work in food processing so everybody was wondering about it. (Schiders had been bought by Maple Leaf so the prevailing thought is that Schniders will convert to a "fake meat" line and retool it's plants and Maple Leaf will continue to make "quality" meat products. So if this stuff sells we may see more choices for soy products.) Since I'm the only vegitarian at work I offered to buy and try some and it's really good. My husband will eat it and he's not vegitarian. He said he'll eat vegitarian food if it won't inconvience him and he'll eat this so it has to taste good :)

I really like the fact that you can look on the back and know what's in how many grams. I pointed that out to the guy at works who keeps an eye on whats happaning in the industry and he saw how that could be helpful, especially for people like me who have to know how much iron and b12 they are getting in thier diets.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
This is no wimpy Lasagna! It is so full of flavor you will eat until you gain 50 pounds....so invite lots of people over to help you eat it. The very best part is that you do not have to pre cook the noodles. Really it’s no joke. The noodles cook in the sauce making the Lasagna less runny, the noodles are firmer and have more flavor. If you don’t trust me you can precook the noodles but allow the sauce to cook uncovered a little longer so it’s thicker. You can substitute veggies for ones you like better (I swap out the eggplant for zucchini ), add more veggies if you like and swap out cheeses for others you like more.

THE BEST Vegetarian Lasagna

1/3 cup olive or salad oil

1 large onion chopped

2 cloves garlic minced or pressed (add more if you are a garlic fan)

1 medium sized diced eggplant

1/4 pound mushroom, sliced (I add more)

1 can (about 1 pound) Italian style or whole tomatoes (broken up)

1 8oz can tomato sauce

½ cup red wine (any wine will do, mushroom or veggie broth can be substituted)

1 medium carrot, shredded (save some for the piggies)

1 package (10 oz) frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and drained (you can use fresh)

1/4 cup chopped parsley (wheek, wheek, where’s ours?)

2 teaspoons oregano

1 teaspoon each basil and salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1 package of Lasagna Noodles

2 cups (1 pound) Ricotta cheese (I use more)

4 cups (1 pound) shredded Mozzarella cheese (more if you like)

1 ½ cups (4 ½ oz) grated Parmesan cheese

Heat oil in a large sauce or soup pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, eggplant and mushroom and cook for 15 minutes stirring frequently. Add tomatoes and their liquid, tomato sauce, wine, carrot, parsley, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer covered for ~20 minutes. Uncover and allow to cook for ~ another 10 minutes. Add the spinach and mix it in, remove from heat and set aside.

Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish. Spread about 1/4 of the sauce and veggie mix in the bottom of the baking dish. Lay about 1/3 of the uncooked noodles evenly over the sauce (remember they will cook and expand some). Dot the noodles with 1/3 of the ricotta. Sprinkle with 1/4 of the Mozzarella. Sprinkle with 1/4 of the Parmesan. Repeat this layering two more times. Spread remaining sauce evenly over the top and sprinkle with the remaining Mozz and Parm cheeses (at this point I often add more Mozz for a really cheesy top). If made ahead cover and refrigerate.

Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven until hot and bubbly (40 - 50) minutes. Cut in squares to serve.

You can freeze individual portions for quick meals. If you end up with too much sauce save it for serving over pasta or rice.

For a truly elegant meal you can make White Lasagna. Use the same cheeses but pre cook the noodles. You can use all of the veggies but don’t use the tomatoes or tomato sauce. Cook all of the veggies in the oil and set them aside.

You can make the Alfredo sauce from scratch if you like...but I prefer the fast way. Heat two cans condensed Cream of Mushroom soup (any cream soup will work...like broccoli), 1½ cans of milk and 2 packages of powdered Alfredo sauce mix over medium heat. You can add the herbs in the ingredient mix or leave them out if you prefer. Heat until bubbly stirring frequently. Once bubbly add the pre cooked veggies and remove from heat. Layer and cook it like you would for the regular Lasagna but to add a little color sprinkle a little chopped parsley over the top right after you remove it from the oven.

dona83

Cavy Slave
I know Cream of Mushroom soup has cream in it but anyway I tried putting Vanilla So Good in it, and it was awesome, the flavour is just so much richer.

Miss Piggy

Cavy Slave
Well, I'm not vegetarian, but a good bit of my family is since they're buddhist, so I thought I'd share a recipe that we eat from one of our favorite cooks.

(broken link removed)

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Vegetarian / Vegan Recipes & Dining Websites

Vegetarian / Vegan Recipes & Dining Websites

The following list of websites was compiled by Animal Rights Online to enable our subscribers to do their own research and education in Animal Rights, Animal Welfare, and Vegetarian issues. A different list topic will be issued each week. Please save and/or bookmark for your future reference.

Disclaimer: Animal Rights Online, EnglandGal, and/or ARO volunteers are not responsible for the contents of the links or any actions, interpretations, suggestions, consequences resulting from the use of the information herein, or from use of the information obtained at linked internet addresses.

https://amacord.com/taste/
A Taste of Heaven and Earth

https://www.abbeysvegetarianrecipes.com/
Abbey's Vegetarian Recipes - Welcome!

https://vegetarian.about.com/?once=true&
About.com - Vegetarian Cuisine

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

https://www.all-creatures.org/recipes.html
All-Creatures.org - Recipes

https://www.bocaburger.com/main.aspx?s=&m=index
Bocaburger.com

https://www.boutell.com/vegetarian/index.html
Boutell.com - Small Household Vegetarian Recipe Index

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

https://www.foodweb.com/virtualcookbook/vegrecipes.html
FoodWeb ®: Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

https://www.happycow.net/
HappyCow.net Veg restaurant guide/directory/natural health food stores

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

https://www.lagustasluscious.com/
Lagusta's Luscious.com - Vegetarian home meal delivery service

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

https://www.soymilkmaker.com/
Soymilkmaker.com - The Soyajoy

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

https://www.vegdining.com/Home.cfm
VegDining.com -- Your Online Guide to Vegetarian Restaurants Around the World

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

https://www.vrg.org/journal/
The Vegetarian Journal -- Magazine archives

https://www.vrg.org/recipes/
Vegetarian Resource Group - Recipes

https://www.vrg.org/nutshell/ballpark.htm
Vegetarian Resource Group- vegetarian and vegan ballpark foods

https://www.vegsoc.org/health/
Vegetarian Society -Health and Nutrition index

https://www.vegetariantimes.com/
Vegetarian Times

https://www.vegparadise.com/recipeindex.html
Vegetarians in Paradise/Vegan Recipes/Gourmet Vegetarian Recipes Index

https://www.vegkitchen.com/
Vegkitchen.com - Vegetarian Recipes: In a Vegetarian Kitchen

https://www.vegsource.com/recipe/
VegSource.com -- Best of The Net Recipes!

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

https://www.webvalue.net/recipes/index.html
Webvalue.net - Vegetarian Recipes

«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»​
Susan Roghair - [email protected]
Animal Rights Online, President
Established 1997
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
In memory of my Sam - www.all-creatures.org/stories/a-sam.html
In memory of my Molly Girl - www.all-creatures.org/stories/a-molly.html

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
It's not really a recipe but if you mix rice or cous-cous with veggies that you heat up in the fridge (once were frozen) it is really good.

Some sour creams do have geletin in it and geletin is made with hooves and/or bone marrow. So make sure your sour cream doesn't have geletin in it. The brand Daisy is good.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I just made this one up this past week when I decided to start cutting a lot of meat out of my diet, and my whole family absolutely LOVED it. It started as White Chicken Chili, but I made a few adjustments and some changes. It's actually quite easy, but it takes a while, and you can't be afraid of fire! ;)

Vegetable Bean Soup
16oz. dry navy beans
5 cans vegetable broth or equivalent homemade or carton broth
3 peppers - combination of poblano and any color bell
2 medium onions or more if you like onions - roughly chopped
4 or 5 yellow squash and zucchini
several stalks of celery rough chopped
minced garlic to taste
mixed frozen veggies
olive oil
cumin
black pepper
half a bunch of cilantro or parsley - don't EVEN tell me you guys don't have one or the other around! lol
italian seasoning
latex gloves (unless you don't mind the peppers on your skin)

Rinse dry beans and soak for 2 hours. While beans are soaking, prep the rest of your veggies. Roast peppers (2 poblano chili/1 bell for spicier or 1 poblano/2 bell or 3 bell if you don't like the heat) on grill or under broiler until skin turns black. Put peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap for about 15 minutes. While waiting for the peppers to steam, cut the squash and zucchini in half long ways, season with olive oil and S&P and lightly grill or broil. Chop squash/zuchs in bit size chunks. Put on gloves. Skin will now peel and/or rub off of the peppers easily. Cut peppers open and remove seeds, but do not rinse the peppers. Cut peppers into small pieces and set aside. In a saute pan, lightly saute the onions, celery, and as much garlic as you like. Remove most of the stems from the cilantro and chop. Once all veggies are prepped, spend the rest of the two hours of bean soak time reading/replying to threads on cavycages! After the 2 hours, drain the beans and put into a large pot with broth, all prepped veggies, a couple tablespoons of cumin, black pepper to taste, italian seasoning, and chopped cilantro. Cook for 1hr 30 min to 1hr 45min, stirring often. During the last 30 minutes add in the frozen veggies.

You can also add canned tomatoes to this if you want, but my mom hates tomatoes, so I left them out, and I still thought it was very good. If you have any other veggies you like, add them as well. I recommend either grilling, broiling or sauteeing any hard veggies a bit first and adding them with the first batch, or if you want to add mushrooms, add them at the last 30 minutes with the frozen veggies. After the fact I also thought about adding fresh shredded spinach in the last couple of minutes.

VERY versatile recipe that will take pretty much anything in the veg drawer!

Alicemcmallis

Cavy Slave
This is an "off the cuff" recipe that my sister in law came up with one day. The quantities are guidelines, not absolutes, as it's one of those recipes where things are just thrown in. :) Always make it to taste!

Veggie Wraps by Tanya

Tortilla wraps, flavoured are best, I prefer sundried tomato
1 large onion, chopped
1-3 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
1-2 large red peppers, chopped in large pieces
1-2 cups large white mushrooms, chopped in large pieces
1 package Yves soy burger (equal to 1.5 lbs ground beef)
Soy sauce to taste
Chili powder to taste
Sour cream to taste (or soy sour cream, very tasty!)
Grated cheese to taste (or soy cheese, somewhat tasty)
Oil

Heat some oil in a large pan.

Cook onions and garlic until they start to get a bit soft.

Add soy beef and pour some soy sauce on it. Pour it, don't just shake the bottle a few times. It will seem like there's too much, but it won't be. There should be a small puddle of soy sauce in the bottom of the pan.

Sprinkle soy beef liberally with chili powder and simmer for about 3 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Add red peppers. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until starting to get a bit soft. Stir occasionally.

Add mushrooms. Pour soy sauce on top as with the beef. Sprinkle liberally with chili powder. Cook until the mushrooms start to get a bit soft. Stir frequently.

While the mushrooms are cooking, put some of the grated cheese in the middle of the tortillas. When the mushrooms are done cooking, spoon the mixture into the centre of the tortilla on top of the cheese.

Top with sour cream and wrap.

Serves approx. 6, more or less depending how big the ingredients were and how many of them you used.

Mmm, tasty!!!

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Tofulaya (Tofu/Tempeh Jambalaya) - a true, New Orleans recipe

I got this recipe from a neighbor of mine that was born and bred in New Orleans. I never thought I would share it with anyone but my kids but considering the state that my home town is in right now I figure I would like to share at least one of the reasons I love New Orleans. That reason being fabulous food.

This recipe was shown to me, not written and handed to me. I had to stand in my neighbor's kitchen while she made it and watch/help. I wrote it down as best I could but most of the seasoning was not measured with a measuring spoon. It was either sprinkled directly into the pan or "hand measured" (poured into the hand and eye judgement is used). I recommend using the measurements given and adding more to taste if necessary. I went light in the measurements for a couple of the spicier ingredients so as not to kill "spice lightweights".

Tofulaya

Ingredients
1 pound Tempeh or Firm Tofu - cut into strips or 1/2 inch cubes
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 tablespoons cooking oil (vegetable, olive or other)
1 large onion chopped
1 cup chopped gree, red and/or yellow sweet pepper (bell pepper)
1 stalk celery chopped
1 clove garlic minced
14 ounces vegetable broth
1 10-ounce can chopped tomatoes
1 small can green chilies chopped (found in ethnic food section - mexican)
1 cup long-grain rice
1/4 to 1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce
1/8 cup snipped parsley
1/4 cup green onion tops

For marinade
1-2 cups vegetable broth
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
1 tbs olive oil (or other)

Mix together marinade ingredients and tofu/tempeh in a bowl or zip lock bag. Marinade overnight. The longer you marinade it the better it tastes.

In a large frying pan or sauce pan cook onion, sweet peppers, celery and garlic in oil until the onion turns clear and veggies are tender.

Add broth, tomatoes and their liquid, green chilies with their liquid, onion tops, rice, and hot pepper sauce. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat, cover and low simmer 20 to 25 minutes until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed.

Remove tofu/tempeh from the marinade and discard the liquid. Add parsley and tofu/tempeh to the pan. Mix together and leave on heat until heated through.

If desired sprinkle with more parsley or green onion. Cornbread make the perfect companion.

-------------------------------------------
I would like to share a little more of the story how I got this recipe. This neighbor of mine was a die hard meat eater. I asked her one day if she could make Jambalaya with tofu. Her first question was "honey, what da heck is toeflu?" (that's just how she said it). I explained and she replied. "Baby, I ain't never made a jambalaya wit out something that didn't run, scuttle or flap but I'm guessin' I could make it jus as well wit sumting dat din't put up such a fuss".

About a week later she asked me to drop her off some "toeflu". I did. The next day she said to come on over and she was gonna teach me how to make "this godforsaken white mud edible, ifin I still had a mind to try to eat it". I did and she taught me.

I found out a few days ago that Ms. R, the kind woman that put up with my "vegetarian nonsense", has now passed away. She stayed with her husband and son in their house for the hurricane. Their house flooded to neck deep. They managed to get out and spent 3 days of hell in the Superdome before being evacuated by bus to Texas. Ms. Rouzen sickened in Texas and no one could convince her to fight longer. She died in the company of her son and husband.

Please remember her, her family and all of New Orleans if you make this dish.

Last edited:

dirty hippie

Cavy Slave
Daal over basmati saffron rice:

the daal -
1 cup red lentils
1 slice ginger, 1 inch piece, peeled
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
4 teaspoons vegetable oil
4 teaspoons dried minced onion
1 teaspoon cumin seeds

Rinse lentils thoroughly and place in a medium saucepan along with ginger, turmeric, salt and cayenne pepper. Cover with about 1 inch of water and bring to a boil. Skim off any foam that forms on top of the lentils. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender and soupy.
Meanwhile, in a microwave safe dish combine oil, dried onion and cumin seeds. Microwave on high for 45 seconds to 1 minute; be sure to brown, but not burn, onions. Stir into lentil mixture.

Or you can buy some really good dried, boxed daal from: (broken link removed) (It's kind of expensive, but it's organic and you'll be supporting small Indian farmers.)

the basmati saffron rice -

In a saucepan, combine:
3 1/2 cups water
2 cups uncooked basmati rice
Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer on low heat for 25-30 minutes, until the water is absorbed.
In a bowl, mix:
the cooked basmati rice (about 4 cups)
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon crushed saffron
In a saucepan, melt:
4 teaspoons ghee (or butter)
Add to the saucepan and sauté:
2 cinnamon sticks, crushed or broken into 2-4 pieces
8-10 whole cloves
8-10 whole green cardamoms, or 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
8-10 whole black peppercorns
When spice mixture "pops," add the rice mixture. Cover and sauté until warmed through.

I add fresh tomatos and mushrooms, as well as frozen peas, to the daal mixture about ten minutes before it's done. Serve the daal over the rice. Warm pita bread is a good substitute for naan if you don't have an authentic Indian brick oven. (Harr.)

ScottandDebbie

Cavy Champion
Cavy Slave
RAW "Strawberry Shortcake"​

Crust
4 Bananas
1 cup sunflower seeds ground in coffee grinder to a meal
1/3 cup soaked raisins
2 large or 4 small dates, pitted
1 cup coconut

Mix above ingredients together in food processor.
Smooth into a casserole dish or pie plate or make into rounds on individual plates

Optional: Place in dehydrator in round cakes until they become a very firm cake-like texture
105 degrees.

Almond Cream
1 1/2 cups soaked almonds, peeled (almonds need to soak for 8 hours)
1/2 cup soaked dates and their water
juice of 1/2 to one orange
1 tsp vanilla

Mix above ingredients ina blender, Chill.

Strawberries and Sauce
40 strawberries sliced.
15 strawberries
6 soaked dates and their water

Place the 15 strawberries and dates in the blender and blend until smooth.

Layer strawberries onto crust, then top with strawberry sauce and almond cream.
You may opt to cut the crust 1st and make individual cakes as needed.

ENJOY :cheerful:

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
OK y'all, I have one for you that is easy, easy, easy! If you like picnicing, it's also safe to take outdoors because it has no mayonaise in it. Of course that also means it's lots lower fat and it's Vegan as well.

Cabbage Salad
1/2 head shredded cabbage or 1 large bag cole slaw mix from the produce dept.
1 bell pepper (any color) diced fine
several green onions sliced - amount depends on how oniony you like things
10T red wine vinegar
6T extra virgin olive oil
3T sugar
1T salt

Combine veggies in a large bowl. Mix remaining ingredients well (I dumped them in a jar and shook it.) and pour over veggies. Mix until everything is well combined. Refrigerate for several hours so all of the flavors can meld together. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top before serving.

Variations:
*If you like Asian flavors, use rice wine vinegar instead of red wine vinegar, and substitute toasted sesame oil for half of the olive oil.
*You can also add any other hard veggies that you prefer to this.

This makes an excellent topping for sandwiches of all kinds, meat or meat substitutes.

His_Mrs

Cavy Slave
Great topic, these sound great! I have a lot, if you're looking for a specific recipe, message me. But here's one of my favorites.

Corn Pasta Bake

Ingredients:

1 Can corn, drained & rinsed
1 Can creamed corn
1 can beans (kidney, garbanzo, etc, no flavored), drained & rinsed
1-2 Stalks Celery, finely diced
1-2 Carrots, finely diced
3 Green onions, chopped or 1/2 sweet onion, diced
2 cups small pasta (shells or macaroni work best)
1 1/2 - 2 cups milk (rice, soy or cow milk all work)
1 cup grated cheese

Directions:
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 F
2. Mix all ingredients in a large caserole dish, no need to grease the dish
3. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour, stirring every 15-20 minutes until pasta is soft
4. Let set for 5-10 minutes to cool.

Mix in any spices/herbs that you like. I use fresh black pepper, garlic powder and italian herbs

You can toss in any other veggies you have, mixed frozen bags work great too! Enjoy!

*I combined your follow up post with your recipe - VoodooJoint

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
Here is one of my all time favorite appetizer recipees. They are SOOOO good. I hope you all enjoy . . .​

Veggie-Stuffed Mushrooms

Ingredients needed to make​

20 large mushrooms (about 1 pound)
1/2 cup broccoli, finely chopped
1/4 cup carrot, finely chopped
1 tablespoon onion, finely chopped
1 cup seasoned croutons, crushed
1/2 cup shredded chedder cheese
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted​

Directions to make:​

Preheat oven to 400*. Cut thin slice from stem end of each mushroom; discard. Remove remainder of stems and chop enough stems to equal 1/4 cup. Place chopped stems in mixing bowl. Place mushroom caps upside down in a flat baking dish or sheet with sides. Chop broccoli, carrot, and onion, add to mixing bowl. Using a dough roller, finely crush croutons in a sealed plastic bag. Stir into vegetable mixture along with cheese and salt. Add butter, mix well. Using a small spoon or scoop, spoon vegetable mix evenly into mushroom caps. Bake 15-20 minutes or until tops are lightly golden. Serve warm and enjoy ;)

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
This recipe has always been a favorite in our family. Originally, it started out as something we only made at the beach because Dad wanted to make something with shrimp, and we don't cook shellfish at home. Then it became Tuna Noodle Toss with canned tuna in it. I've made it several times since using different canned beans, and I've found it to be just as yummy. This is SUPER easy, and picnic friendly because it has no mayonaise in it.

Veggie Noodle Toss

1lb small dried pasta - I've used shells, elbows, twists, maccaroni, etc. Anything little.
1 can chickpeas - drained and well rinsed
1 can other canned bean - black, pinto, navy - Whatever you like. Also drained and well rinsed
several cups of chopped hard veggies - Carrot, bell pepper, and celery all work well. I've also put in halved grape tomatoes. They're not hard, but they don't get too wierd. If you have other hardish veggies that you prefer, throw them in.
fat free Italian dressing

Cook pasta according to package directions till al dente (firm, but still with a slight bite). Drain and rinse pasta well under cold water. Mix in chickpeas, beans, and veggies. Dress with Italian dressing to taste. If you prefer regular dressing to fat free, use it. I found that the fat free doesn't seperate as badly. This is also particularly yummy if you throw in some chopped fresh parsley or cilantro. And I don't want to hear a one of you telling me that you don't have parsley or cilantro around the house anyway! :D Refrigerate for 4 hours to overnight. The longer in the fridge the better.

cavyinhawaii

Cavy Slave
I make these two reciepes
Everybody eats them I don't mention they have not meat.
I am not big into soy products so to me these are really good

lasagna casserole

One box spiral noodles
One container cottage cheese
one pound motzerella cheese
one jar of your favorite sauce
I use paul newman mairnara

cook the noodles then
mix them with all the ingredents
bake in the oven 400 until bubbly.

I have served this to non veggies and
they never notice the lack of meat.

layered mexican dinner
one can of green chili's (diced)
one can red or green enchlata sauce
one can tomatoes
one can olives (small diced)
one can of your favorite beans or refried beans
I use black beans
taco seasoning (mix with beans)
one bag shredded cheese
one bag of tortillas (your choice corn or flour)

Layer each ingredent
putting the tortillas inbetween each full layer

I start with tomatoes
then green chilis
olives
beans
cheese
sauce
Tortilla
start over with next layer

You can use the crumbles mixed with taco seasoning if you want as a layer
you can also replace the tomatoes with salsa.
It leaves lots of options as layers
some like an onion layer etc

bake 400 until bubbly

PeruRodent

Cavy Slave
Mango-Peach-Raspberry Smoothie

2 Large Ripe Peaches
1 Mango
Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice
Raspberry Sorbet

Combine ingredients in blender.
Blend 'til smooth.

(I invented this recipe; it's REALLY REALLY good.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.