Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Vegetarian Recipes

PeruRodent

Cavy Slave
This one's from (broken link removed). It sounds really good!

Leek, Lime & Coconut Soup
Serves 4
30 minutes: 5-10 minutes preparation, 20 minutes cooking
  • 30ml/2tbsp sesame oil
  • 3 medium leeks, cleaned and thinly sliced
  • 1 green chilli, seeded and chopped
  • 2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
  • Zest and juice of 2 limes
  • 1.2ltr/2pts water
  • 1 vegetable stock cube
  • 570ml/1pt coconut milk
  • Handful green coriander, chopped
  1. Heat sesame oil in large saucepan and add leeks, chilli and potatoes.
  2. Sweat for a moment then add water and stock cube.
  3. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.
  4. Season and add coconut milk and lime juice.
  5. Add chopped coriander before serving.

Whit23ney

Cavy Slave
While I'm sure some of you 'seasoned' vegetarian/vegans out there have probably already tried this, I just discovered it's yumminess the other day and had to share for anyone else new at this. I used to eat chicken caesar salads a lot and when I switched to meatless salads they just weren't as filling and I ended up eating two to three times as much salad to get full. Well I tried this the other day and it made me feel full pretty quickly. I put sunflower seeds in my salad and some cashews as well. The nuts provide a different texture and are filling. Plus, many of us new veggies aren't getting enough fat in our diet to counteract our meat cravings and nuts have lots of fat in them. Just something I thought you guys might wanna try. It's yummy!

ScottandDebbie

Cavy Champion
Cavy Slave
Marvelous Macaroni Salad.

I just made this, and it's yummy.

INGREDIENTS
12 oz package of silken tofu
3 cloves garlic, peeled (more if you like garlic. I love garlic.)
1 medium shallot, peeled and quartered
1/2 cup soymilk (go easy on the soymilk)
1/2 cup eggless mayonnaise
2 T red wine vinegar
1/2 t sea salt
Pasta twists. (I use gluten free pasta)
1 t dried thyme
2 cup chopped red onion
1 cup peas, lightly steamed. Just enough to make them tender.
1 cup bell peppers (I actually added much more.)
1 cup garbanzo Beans
1 cup mushrooms
1 cup of celery.
You can add more goodies that you might like into this salad.

Mix it up....
Cube the tofu (tiny), or pop it in a food processor. Add the pressed garlic, and cut shallot. Add the soymilk, mayonnaise, vinegar and salt (pepper if you like, I Like) and anything else that makes you happy.

Cook pasta according to package instructions, (important to not over cook pasta) Drain, and Stir in all the other goodies. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.

I made up a second bowl of the Macaroni Salad for when guests come over for dinner.
It freezes well.

Side Note:
Vit C doesn't like being frozen... It's not even fond of cold temps at all. So when you freeze fruits and vegs with high content of C... you loss some nutrients. But no matter how you *slice* it.... it's a bunch better for you than the stuff with preservatives chalked into it.

Enjoy

Whit23ney

Cavy Slave
OMG you guys! One of the most difficult things for me to have to give up going Veggie (with no eggs/dairy) has been giving up TACO BELLE! I used to love it and had it at least three times a week if not more and I missed it so much! I'm happy to say that I had three delicious taco belle tacos last night without having to cheat on being a veggie!!!
You know those kits they sell in the grocery store? The ones where you can make Taco Belle tacos at home? Well Boca sells crumbled "meat" in pouches so I bought some of those along with the Taco Belle kit. I used the Boca crumbled "meat" with the powdered sauce they give you and 3/4 cups of water. I used SOY cheese, romaine lettuce, and chopped tomatoes and it tasted exactly like a taco belle taco. (minus the sour cream of course) My fiance, who won't touch any of my Vegan stuff actually had two of them and thought they were delicious as well! I'm soooo stoked that I can still have Taco Belle!!!! Sorry, I'm sure many of you had come across this idea already, but I'm so stoked! hehehe. Taco Belle for me! :D

fairysari

Cavy Slave
I found a recipe for saag, with lots of pictures, and written like a little tutorial:

https://www.route79.com/food/saag.htm

VoodooJoint, if you try it, let us know how it turns out! It looks like a lot of work.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
fairysari, You asked for a veggie no cheese pizza. Off the top of my head, here ya go.
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
I use pitas for individual pizza crusts when I make pizza at home. Spread a little pesto on the pita. Store bought usually has cheese in it, but it's easy to make, and you can leave the parmesan out if you want. Top that with whatever veggies you like. I prefer grilling zucchini, squash, portabello, and onion slices, cutting them up and laying out a mix on my pizza. If you don't want to get the grill going, you can always prechop your veggies and saute them in a little olive oil. I prefer the smokey taste from the grill, but both are really good. If you're not a pesto fan, you might want to drizzle a bit of olive oil and some garlic on the pizza before adding the veggies. Tomato sauce would work, but personally, I prefer tomato sauce with cheese. Put your pita pizza on a cookie sheet and into the oven for about 5-10 minutes to heat everything through and crisp the crust.

Buggie_00

Cavy Slave
WOW those all sound so good, my poor printer is going to run out of ink. I'm going to try to make the lasagna and the strawberry shortcake tomorrow night, after a trip to the whole foods store down the road. As I'm not a great cook, or a cook at all I'll have to hope they turn out as good as they sound

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
Sandwich Pockets

• Sandwich Pocket
  • 2 slices of fake bologna
  • lettuce
  • handful of hazelnuts
  • Honey mustard sauce/dressing
Rip up the fake bologna and lettuce. Put in bowl. Add the hazelnuts and honey mustard sauce/dressing. Mix in the bowl. Put in sandwich pocket and done.

You can change around how much to put in.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
This is just a quick substitue that I hope hasn't been mentioned. Use a dab of liquid smoke and for me plenty of chopped onions in your baked beans and you'll never know they are missing a thing.

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
Summer Tomato Pasta

Ingredients
2 1/4 cup penne pasta
1 pound plum tomatoes (or an equivelant of tomato sauce, or both)
10 oz mozzeralla
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
zest, grated and juice of 1 lemon (or 1 tbsp of lemon or lime juice)
15 fresh basil leaves, shredded (or a small handful of dried basil leaves)
salt and pepper
fresh basil leaves, to garnish (or none)

Serves 4

• Cook the pasta in boiling salted water, according to the package instructions, until just tender.
  • Quarter the tomatoes and remove the seeds, then chop the fleash into small cubes. Slice the mozzerella into similar-size peices
  • Mix together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, grated liemon zest, 1 tbsp of the lemon juice and the basil. Season with salt and pepper. Add the tomatoes and mozzarella. Let stand until pasta is cooked
  • Drain the pasta and add with the tomato/mozzarella mixture. Serve immediately. Can garnish with basil leaves.
Quite tasty. I had cherry tomatoes and used those, cut in half. I had to put about 2 spoonfuls of tomato sauce in becasue I didn't quite have enough tomatoes.

C&K

Cavy Slave
Sweet or Spicy Stir fry

Should serve 5-6.
Good as leftovers next day!

This sauce recipie is something that my husband and I have been playing with for over a year, we used to eat it with a lot of chicken stir fries, but I just used it with a Tofu Stir fry and it was awsome! My whole family of non veggie heads ate it, even though they are terrifed of the stuff!

If you really don't like Tofu, you could just not put it in, still very good!

Ok, next time I make it, I will give exact measurements and have a MOD edit them in!

Put into a blender:

About 2 tablespoons of honey

About 2 Tablespoons of olive oil (or oil of your choice)

About 3/4 cup of soy sauce

2-3 large cloves of garlic, chopped

A piece of fresh ginger about the size of your pinky finger, shred it, grate it, or chop it up.
(In the store, you are allowed to break off a piece from larger pieces! This is a common practice for us fresh ginger buyers! Or, you could use powder, but not as yummy! Also, it has a very very long counter life!)

Hot Pepper sauce to taste. (I put in a couple dashes into the base mixture, then a couple more when cooking to taste)

Optional: add some Sesame seed oil (maybe 1/2 -1 tablespoon?) Can substitute it for some of the olive oil)

Ok, blend the above ingredients for 30 seconds or so. (if you don't have a blender, make sure the ginger and garlic is shredded up real fine or grated. Perhaps reduce the ginger by half)

Cut up 1 pound of very firm tofu into very small cubes. (drain the tofu, I used a package that seemed to not have much water in it) Set aside in bowl, add 1 can of baby corn, 1/2 an onion and 1 can of pinapple tidbits (with the pinapple juice, don't drain). Poor blended sauce over it, mix it up, let sit in fridge, (I let sit for 5 hours) to season the tofu. I think 3 hours to overnight would be sufficient.

Take mixture out of fridge, place in pan. Mix in your stir fry veggies.
(the tofu will give the sauce a milky colour, this is ok)

I typically use what is on hand, almost always frozen broccoli and carrots, with one green pepper. I often add in some green beans, snow peas, or bean sprouts (the sprouts right at the end) if I have them in the house.

Frozen veggies save a lot of time, and often are fresher and more cost effective then their produce section counter parts!

Ok, so you cook this up until the veggies are as you like them, feel free to add more soy sauce, oils, or hot sauce to your taste.

Cook up a pot of rice to put the stir fry over. Any kind of rice is good.

Top with sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, or almond slices / pieces.

And that is it!
Enjoy!

It may sound complicated, but it is forgiving, if you don't like / don't have one or a few of the ingredients or want to make substitutions, it should still work.

If you are not using tofu, or like the taste of plain tofu, then there is no reason to do the fridge step, just add all your stirfry sauce stuff + pinapple and onion to the veggies while cooking.

After a couple tries, it becomes very easy to make!

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Okay I just made something new today from a weightloss recipe board.

Apple-pineapple slaw
1-package of broccoli slaw
1-20oz can of crushed pineapple in juice
2-medium apples cubed

Mix everything together in a bowl and enjoy. You could try putting a boneless chicken subsitute in there as the recipe tastes great with chicken in it. The juice from the pineapple acts as a dressing and it is so yummy.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
A co-worker made this and brought it in. It is simply FABULOUS. I don't think I've ever had Farro before. I'm hooked. I'm going out to get this grain (Whole Foods, for example) and even though I rarely cook, I AM going to make this. It's awesome!!

Farro Vegetarian Jamabalaya

6 cups vegetable stock, recipe follows
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onions
1/2 cup finely chopped yellow bell pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 cups whole grain farro (or spelt), picked over for impurities and rinsed
2 cups diced tomatoes
2 cups quartered cremini mushrooms
1/4 pound okra, halved lengthwise
1/4 pound whole baby carrots, tops removed and scrubbed
1 small zucchini, sliced into 1/2-inch thick half circles
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves

In a medium saucepan, bring the vegetable stock to a simmer. Lower the heat to keep warm.

In a medium pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, peppers, and celery and cook until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and farro to the pan and cook, stirring, until the faro is toasted and coated with oil, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, mushrooms, okra, baby carrots, zucchini, bay leaf, and thyme, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add 2 cups of the warm stock, salt, black pepper, and cayenne, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring, until the liquid is absorbed. Continue adding the stock, 2 cups at a time, as the previous addition is absorbed, cooking and stirring, until all the stock is used and the grains are plump and tender.

Remove from the heat and discard the bay leaf. Stir in the parsley and adjust the seasoning, to taste. Serve immediately.

Shaffy

Cavy Slave
Tacos! I love them but sisnce i am trying to go somewhat veggie this is how i eat them.

Tacos:
What you will need (Food)
Old el paso taco kit.(any kind. Comes with taco shells)
Taco seasoning
Block of Chdder soy cheese
Block of Mozzorella soy cheese
Salsa
Sour Cream ( has Cow's milk in it; be careful)
Other taco fixings.
Meatless hamburger meat (any brand)
Equitment
Cheese grater.
Oven
Timer ( if needed)
Frying pan
Plates
Cutlery
wooden spoon ( or silcone heat proof spaula)
Anything else that the box calls for
Reading Glasses if your older. XD

How to make:
[1] Great the cheese until you think you have enough for you tacos ( it's alot of cheese)
[2] If you haven't done this already heat the taco shells in the oven at 350F for five to ten minutes. they should be crunchy but not as hard as a rock.
[3] While backing the shell Follow instructions on the taco kit for the Veggie meat. If it does not come with seasoning use the stuff you bought. put it in as you cook the veggie meat.
[4] After making the veggie meat; turn the burner with the frying pan on it the lowest it can go. let the veggie meat jut sit thery becuse it will be kept warm.
[5] take the taco shells out of the oven they should have the right mix of crunchy but bitable.
[6] Start preparing thet tacos. in this order; (1) Veggie meat on bottom (2) sour cream (3) Salsa (4) Other fixings you want (10) Put the cheese on
[7] Sever to your family. Enjoy.

This will feed a family of 3-5 Deping how may taco shells you buy. NOT for a single person you would have tacos for a week......... Who like cold tacos or re-cooked tacos?! YUK!:yuck:

smartorl

Cavy Slave
I came up with this one by accident trying to come up with a different type of dessert for a stir fry with what I had on hand.

Egg roll wrappers
chocolate bars
ripe bananas
powered sugar

Lay out one wrapper and place a square of chocolate and a few slices of bananas. Roll up the wrapper like an egg roll, use a little water to seal the final edge. Deep fry until golden brown, drain on paper towels and dust with powdered sugar. Be careful because they retain the heat inside and I took a bite and was burned badly by the chocolate, so don't get greedy and try to eat it before they cool!

Coopdog

Cavy Slave
Sweet Potato and Apple Scallop

Have ready:

2 cups boiled sweet potatoes, sliced thin
1 1/2 cups tart apples, cored, peeled, and sliced thin
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon salt

Put half the potatoes in a buttered baking dish. Cover with half the apples, sprinkle with half the sugar, dot with half the butter, and sprinkle with half the salt. Repeat.

Cover and bake 1/2 hour at 350 degrees F. Uncover and bake until the apples are soft and the top is brown. Serves 6.

To vary: In place of apple, use 1 cup pineapple, chink-style or crushed. Add 3/4 cup pineapple juice before baking.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
I made this today and it is crazy good. It is from Emeril, but I tweaked it because you are supposed to use bacon and cook it all in bacon grease, as well as add chicken stock. He also cooks his own beans but who has time for that?!

1 large red onion
2 tsp. minced garlic
4 ears of corn (about 3 cups)- cut off cob
1 1/2 tsp. finely chopped thyme leaves
1 can pinto beans, drained
1 can white beans, drained
1 can black beans, drained
2 cups vegetable broth
1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions (but in my opinion you really wouldn't miss these if you left them out)
Butter
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper

Cook onions in butter and olive oil till tender on medium heat. Add garlic and cook another minute or two. Add corn, thyme and salt and pepper according to your preferences (I like little salt and lots of pepper). Cook five minutes and add beans. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes and add vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until liquid is reduced (about 15 minutes). Stir often so your beans don't burst. Add green onions, remove from heat and cover, let stand for half an hour to an hour, stirring occasionally. I just had some before sitting for half an hour and it is DELICIOUS. It should be even better when it sits for a while and marinates all together.

Mmmm...beans... a veggie's best friend

MinnieMay9

Cavy Slave
Minty Double Chocolate Hot-Chocolate

Silk chocolate milk (or any other chocolate soy-milk)
Peppermint candy to taste
Dark chocolate

Break peppermint candy into small bits and add to soy milk. Melt the dark chocolate and add to this and stir. I usually pop the whole thing in the mircowave again, just to make sure it is totally heated (since I don't heat the soy milk) and to help the candy dissolve.

When it snows it's up to me to make all the hot chocolate for my friends. They love it, and they aren't even veggies.

petz-r-life

Cavy Slave
CousCous Salad

I hope this is understandable:

3 cups couscous

* = as much as you want

* ground black pepper
* salt
* green peas (thawed if frozen)
* fried leeks or onions
* corn off the cob
and anything else that you want to put in there

after mixing all the ingredients together, put some plastic wrap or alluminum foil over the top of the bowl and put it in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes. Then, take it out and it is ready to serve! :cheerful:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.