Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Just one Guinea Pig? Is this ok? Help...

MaryGreen

Cavy Slave
I just want to say having 15 males that while they do tend to get more territorial I have only had two that we had to keep away from others and it wasn't even permanently. What I have done is make a coroplast cage and split it with grids, then they have time to get acquainted- after quarantine of course.

Males do need their space, and I agree getting a third one in there sometimes makes it easier for the newbie.

mz mette

Cavy Slave
I just want to say having 15 males that while they do tend to get more territorial I have only had two that we had to keep away from others and it wasn't even permanently. What I have done is make a coroplast cage and split it with grids, then they have time to get acquainted- after quarantine of course.

Males do need their space, and I agree getting a third one in there sometimes makes it easier for the newbie.

Wow, 15? Do you still have the 15 living together? Well that is very inspiring I have to say. Thanks

MaryGreen

Cavy Slave
LOL- I have 15 right now. I do some rescue so we have 15 males at the moment. They seem more difficult to place for some reason, but someone is coming tomorrow so my fingers are crossed. They do floor time together we took about 30 grids and made a foldable cage for them to have floor time.

They get along, new ones are sniffed and sometimes want to jump at others, but they seem to quit pretty fast as there are so many.

Our site is CNY Piggies I don't know if I'm suppose to post that but it's about our piggies.

thebeachdreamer

Cavy Slave
mz. mette.....how long have you had peewee?

Sirene

Cavy Slave
I have only had him for a week now.

I thought that's what you said earlier. So in this case, I think you would probably need to keep him separated from any new pig for 2-3 weeks, just to be on the safe side.

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
I have one guinea pig. I've had her over two years and she was by herself before then, first with a previous owner, then at the rescue I got her from. If I had room for another cage, I'd get another pig. I'd put the cages close so they could see and communicate with each other. I might do it sometime in the future, but for now Tulip is happy and content.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.