Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/312 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

Money Ways to Save Money?

My dad lost his job this week and I am still in complete shock and I am scared out of my mind. I need to find ways to save money and cut costs for caring for my fourpigs. Do you have any tips or suggestions? I use fleece bedding so no expensive shavings, I make toys from extra things around the house, I buy veggies that are cheapest, I ordered KMS hay 45lbs (I got it about a week ago) which should last me at least 7-8 months and I have ten lbs KMS pellets which should last about another month. Is there anything else I can save on? All help is *so* greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    98 Rec'd/77 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Re: Ways to Save Money?

I can't think of anything else that you need to save money on. Good luck with everything and I hope it all works out.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    82 Rec'd/71 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm sorry for your dad and hope he'll find something else real soon. I dont think either on anything you could save more. Happy though you have hay and pellets for a bit. Good luck!

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    100 Rec'd/95 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It sounds like you're doing a pretty good job saving. Hope your dad finds work soon.

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You can get a part time job. If you have school during the week and your parents won't allow you try working on the weekends. For hay you can search on craigslist for horse hay and simply pay $5. That will definitely save you some money from KMS. I hope I helped good luck with the money troubles.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    42 Rec'd/40 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It sounds like you are doing really well in the cost saving department with the piggies for sure. I can't think of any other way to save more except if you know someone that has a garden right now. Usually there are lots of veggies, more than they know what to do with, and maybe they would be happy to give you some for a little while. People are usually wonderful when it comes to helping little critters especially in your situation. Fingers are crossed for your dad and all of you! Piggie hugzzzz from Bedhead and Domino!

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Duffinvt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    335 Rec'd/208 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

So sorry about your dad losing his job. I lost mine a while ago (after 19 1/2 years at the same job) and it is a very scary time for sure. If you can in any way grow some vegetables, it is a huge savings. Some things grow well in pots. I have a huge garden and if I had a young person willing to help me I'd gladly give them bushels of excess produce. So keep in mind helping out a person you trust with a garden to cut back on veggie bills. Put the money aside for vet or future hay or pellet expense. Good luck and I hope youf dad finds work soon!

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,544 Rec'd/593 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

I'm really sorry! If you live near any farmers' markets, they often discount their veggies at the very end of the day.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    15 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My family is going through the same right now too. My dad had to quit his job, and now the one he has now doesn't make enough money for the pigs. What I do is when my dad has quite a lot of money, I buy tons of hay and veggies on that day, and hopefully it lasts untill he gets paid. Hopefully this helps!!!! I hope your dad gets his job back.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    194 Rec'd/138 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm so sorry! I remember at the beginning of the change in the economy my dad lost his job and I was shocked and scared.

Sounds like you're doing pretty good in saving money already. Check out local farmers markets. They do often discount veggies at the end of the day. Look for deals and sales at the grocery store. Often when they are nearing going bad they'll mark them down, just make sure you feed them the same day or the next. Look into buying hay from stables as it's often cheaper.

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    230 Rec'd/119 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

If you can't get a job, you can try dog walking in your neighborhood or pet sitting. Offer to rake leaves, mow lawns, shovel drive ways when it's season appropriate. To save money, I buy 3-4 lettuces, peppers and cilantro. Everything else my pigs get is a couple random things. You can ask when your family goes to the grocery to get some kind of fruit or a certain kind of vegetable you can eat and share with your pigs. I personally skip lunch to save for my pigs, and I now work at Mcdonalds to care for them too.

12. "Thank you, TwilightStar, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Hi!

Sorry to hear about your Dad losing his job.
    Here are my idea's if you dont use them already:

1. A really cheap vegetable are those individual green beans (instead of pre-packaged). Stuffing a couple of those into a packet (like 10 or so) costs about 20c - you shouldn't feed them every day though so thats why I only buy a few at a time because they are not an 'every day' vegetable

2. Dillons and other stores like Walmart have a 'bin' where all the corn husks are thrown into- these are free! (usually next to the corn obviously) Just ask someone working there before you take them but they will not say no because they are thrown away at the end of each day anyway

3. For those veggies that cannot be fed everyday, like celery and broccoli, I sometimes get these at the salad bar and dish up a small portion into those plastic containers. Its worth it because when you buy a large broccoli florret for example, it never lasts in the fridge and I end up chucking it away in the end considering how little you feed to the piggies.
    These also cost a couple of cents, depending how much they weigh - but you will get odd looks from the cashier when they see how little you have in there!

I cant think of anything else besides what you are doing, which is buying hay and pellets in bulk.
    Good luck!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    171 Rec'd/129 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Another thing is that local grocery stores usually have a "discount" veggie section, not things gone rotten, but things that are odd shaped, etc.

And in the summer, plant a veggie garden, seeds are only a few dollars and they save hundreds.

Feed minimal pellets, 1/8 instead of 1/4 cup.

Think about buying hay by the bale, its a HUGE $$ saver, bales are generally only 5-10(max)$ and thats for 50-200 lbs of hay!

User Tag List