Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada Bales of Hay in Southern Ontario

BabyBellie

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know where to get bales of hay in SO without alfalfa in them? I would prefer it to not be timothy either so I have had no luck. They all have alfalfa in them. I am in Guelph, so I am surrounded by farms but still can't find any, anyone have any luck?

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
Check out some local horse farms, they may be able to sell/give you a bale or at least tell you who their supplier is.

Shurrim

Cavy Slave
Try to see if there is any horses place around. Alfalfa isnt good for horses. It makes them crazy thus they dont have in hay. They will have timothy though.
You dont want it cause of allergies?

Helena's Cavies

Cavy Slave
Hi :D

i'm new and the wonderful smell of fresh hay... humm... lead me to this thread first! ha! ha!

i buy what is identified as fresh horse top quality hay bales ($7.25) from Ritchie Seed & Feed in Ottawa and they confirm it contains roughly 70% timothy, 15% alfalfa, 15% clover

they also have 100% timothy and 100% alfalfa... so, i'm sure one could find other varieties somewhere...

maybe small organic farmers one could meet at the organic farmers market... they usually grow small quantities of hay & vegetal fertilizers they need to grow their own veggies and feed their own animals ^_^

you may be lucky in searching providers (farmers/organic farmers/agriculture/hay...) on canada411.ca or in classifieds (paper & internet free buy & sell websites) or ask your local natural food/grocery stores

GOOD LUCK! and let us know if you find something :eek:ptimist:

Shurrim

Cavy Slave
Someone linked to the "Hay Barn" a site for classified about hay, mostly in US. But I might have found something near Quebec, so you might be able to find in Ontario. You can do a search by country/province/state

(broken link removed)

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
Hi :D

i'm new and the wonderful smell of fresh hay... humm... lead me to this thread first! ha! ha!

i buy what is identified as fresh horse top quality hay bales ($7.25) from Ritchie Seed & Feed in Ottawa and they confirm it contains roughly 70% timothy, 15% alfalfa, 15% clover

they also have 100% timothy and 100% alfalfa... so, i'm sure one could find other varieties somewhere...

maybe small organic farmers one could meet at the organic farmers market... they usually grow small quantities of hay & vegetal fertilizers they need to grow their own veggies and feed their own animals ^_^

you may be lucky in searching providers (farmers/organic farmers/agriculture/hay...) on canada411.ca or in classifieds (paper & internet free buy & sell websites) or ask your local natural food/grocery stores

GOOD LUCK! and let us know if you find something :eek:ptimist:

Is there more than one ritchie feed & seed in Ottawa?

Im not exactly in the area, but Im pretty rural and go to ottawa a lot, I have resorted to buying expensive pet store hay.

If you could tell me which location, That would be great. Thanks!

donaldsl

Cavy Slave
There is are few ritchie feed & seeds in Ottawa. There is one in the east end and one in the west end (carp area). They are a little bit of a drive. You can always try talking to some barns around you and see if they are willing to sell you a bale, horse barns especially.

The addresses are as follows:

1390 Windmill Ln. , Ottawa, On (east end)
2079 Carp Rd. , Ottawa, On (west end)

I don't know specifically if either of them sell hay, I know that they do sell feed. You can always try the smaller feed stores, for instance Kinburn feed and such, as they may have a better feel on the community and be able to point you towards a hay supplier.

Another option is to look for message boards around horses or cows ((broken link removed), for horses in the ottawa area) and take a look on there for posts selling hay.

Hope this is helpful!

Helena's Cavies

Cavy Slave
this is Ritchie's page with their locations - if they don't carry what you need, they may be able to give you some hints :?:

i go at the Windmill Ln location and know someone who buys their horse hay at the Stittsville (Carp Rd) location - they also have a few dealers...

(broken link removed)

loveurpetalways

Cavy Gazer
Hi, I live in Ontario, though I don't think southern Ontario.
Anyways, I get my hay from Yay4Hay, google that and you'll see what I'm talking about.
I'm not sure if they're close by near you, though they do deliver, which is what I do because they live to far from me to pick up the hay. It's excellent hay, so if you can get there hay I suggest getting some.
Hope I was able to helo a little.
If you can't get they're hay try farmers around you, that might help?

loveurpetalways

Cavy Gazer
Hi, I live in Ontario, though I don't think southern Ontario.
Anyways, I get my hay from Yay4Hay, google that and you'll see what I'm talking about.
I'm not sure if they're close by near you, though they do deliver, which is what I do because they live to far from me to pick up the hay. It's excellent hay, so if you can get there hay I suggest getting some.
Hope I was able to help a little.
If you can't get they're hay try farmers around you, that might help?

CindyZ

Cavy Slave
I'm not far from you (just west of Kitchener). What I would suggest is looking for 1st cut hay. First cut generally has a higher grass content. It will still have alfalfa, but not as high a percentage. I bought some timothy hay from Walmart, but I'm going to be going to some of our neighbours to get some of their first cut hay for ongoing feeding of our new adoptee.

In our area, unfortunately you aren't going to find much/any grass only hay. I grew up on a farm, and have been in a farming community all my life. All hay I've ever seen has been an alfalfa blend of some kind.

Good luck!

ETA: A beef farmer is more likely to have a higher grass content than dairy. In a dairy operation, they are looking for as high of a protein content as they can, so even their first cut is going to be pretty pure alfalfa. A beef farmer is more likely to have a higher grass content. Another thing to try, contact the University of Guelph! You're right there, and they may be able to direct you somewhere from their aggie program

eburmeister

Cavy Slave
Try to see if there is any horses place around. Alfalfa isnt good for horses. It makes them crazy thus they dont have in hay. They will have timothy though.
You dont want it cause of allergies?

Shurrim, I feed alfalfa to my horses every day. It does not make them crazy if they are getting the proper exercise.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.