Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Piggy Bedspreads

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
I just received my piggy bedspreads and they are amazing!
If anyone has been debating whether they will be worth the money, they are.
I know they are expensive, but they look beautiful and are such high quality. I am excited to finally have my cage cleaning made even easier. Before I used mattress pads with fleece throws on top. It was always difficult making them fit in the cage bottom just right, I had to keep folding the sides in and I usually needed two throws per side. Plus it was hard to get them flattened nice and neat since they aren't the size of my cage base.
Now I can just put the bedspread down and I am done. No fussing around!

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
It sounds like you need to be in their commercial! Haha;) I am wondering though who sells what you're referring to? I havnt been around long enough to just know.

partygirlha

Cavy Slave
I've looked at them before but since i already have some cage liners I've made, I don't need any more right now. But since I may later I'd be interested to hear from you (or others) how they hold up... how long can you go before washing? How well do they wash and dry? that sort of stuff.

I thought I saw a tread where someone said that because the bottom layer is water proof, they didn't wash very well.

keep us posted.

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
I love the bedspreads. I've done one cage change and washed the first set. It washed great, warm water, regular cycle. I used my natural detergent and vinegar. Then I dried it in the dryer on a low heat setting and it didn't take more than 30 minutes or so to dry. I think they washed/dried great. They smell fresh and clean! The bottom layer being water proof didn't make a difference for washing. It was fairly wet when I took it out of the washer but that is no big deal.
They really absorbed well and I couldn't smell anything after 6 days. My two males can be really messy. I changed the cage because I was chaning the litter boxes and pads under the houses so when I do that I like to make everything clean.
I'm very happy with them.

partygirlha

Cavy Slave
thanks for the up date

anwaflynurse

Cavy Slave
Skinny Pigs, is that the piggy bedspread in your pics? I thought they were like a fitted sheet, up and over the sides? My problem is that I had to zip tie my cage sides to the coroplast for extra strength due to my other animals, so the spread will not work if it comes up and over the top.
(I am in the process of making my own spread that attaches to the inside of the cage with velcro, but it is so time consuming! I wish I could buy one that would work with my cage.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I has the same question. I thought piggy bedspreads come up on the sides.

@anwaflynurse, you can buy the ones without sides from:
(broken link removed)
Welcome to Guinea Pig Stuff!
(broken link removed)

I believe all of them do custom sizes.

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
I asked for a custom order with no sides. Yes normally they come up and over the sides to be fitted. I didn't want fitted sides since under the loft I have a support beam which would make it too hard to get under the beam and up and over that back wall and also because my pigs don't try and burrow under the fleece so I wanted it to be as easy as possible to put in and take out.

lalallama

Cavy Slave
I have been considering a piggy bedspread, or cage liner as my recently expanded 2x5 (for 2 piggies) takes quite a lot of bedding. Before I make the investment,

How do you keep the poops and such of the cage liner? It could stain, as my pigs are hopeless with pooping in one corner.

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
Fleece is remarkably stain resistant. We have had fleece throughout the cage for more than a year now (there is nowhere for them to poop BUT on it) and the fleece looks brand new.

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
I have never had a poop stain on my fleece.
I scoop up or sweep the poops off the fleece a bunch of times a day and it never marks the fleece even when it is fresh.

lalallama

Cavy Slave
So the poops will not be a problem, but what about when I feed them fruits and veggies?Even when I do put things in a bowl they often get dragged around the cage. Especially strawberries and tomatoes, would that stain or is it the same as with the poops?

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
My boys mushed a raspberry on the fleece one day. It dried and everything but came out in the wash. I wouldn't be concerned. Even if it did leave a small stain I wouldn't really care since it is just a cage liner.

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
I just order 2 liners from Jen and 2 bedspreads from PiggyBedSpreads. I'm really looking forward to getting them in a few weeks!

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
I actually ordered a couple liners from Jen as well. I wonder what the difference will be if any. I am excited to find out which type I like better.

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
That's one reason I ordered from both places. I want to see how they compare. Both products sound very well-made.

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
Yes, I am very happy with my piggyspreads, so I hope the liners from Jen are just as good! I love picking out cute fleece for the tops!

SixString

Cavy Slave
Just bought one of these for our 3 pigs. One of our pigs was allergic to carefresh and has been miserable, and i don't like wood shavings. Plus the expense of those bedding products just adds up. We were paying about $100-$150/month in bedding alone (I like to keep my pigs cage clean).

So when we found the piggy bedspreads, one was immediately ordered. It'll pay for itself in just under a month of use. Will be ordering another 2 once we see how this first one holds up after a months worth of washing (once or twice a week most likely).
Already impressed with how the cleanup works out. Much easier to keep the cage clean. Instead of having the pigs mess everywhere and not managing to get it all without literally cleaning the cage out entirely, now i can see where the mess is and clean it quickly.
5 minutes cleanup every morning and it's all good for the day til i get home from work and give them another 5 min cleanup.

Personally, i cannot recommend a better option. I'm highly impressed with the workmanship on this product too. The creator of these will make you custom designs/sizes too if needed.
I'm going to be ordering a larger one for floor time, so i can prevent the carpet getting soiled, but give the pigs a nice large space to run around on.

guineapig67

Cavy Slave
I really hope to get some piggybedspreads soon! They look so good, and it will help for not getting poos under the fleece!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.