Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions new baby to add to our family

amani

Cavy Slave
I've adopted a 4 month old, approximately, female to add to our family. I have 2 girls right now age 1 yr and the other a year and a half. I already introduced them in neutral place and my older girl tried to attack the baby. Should I keep introductioning them over and over and how long do I wait to add the baby to the girl
s cave. I'm afaid to leave them alone but of course sometimes I have to.

fresian.m

Cavy Slave
Was there blood drawn?

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
If you keep seperating and reintroducing them it will only cause stress.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
If you've already put them together then you will need to leave them together. Make sure you clean the cage out thoroughly before moving them from the neutral area to the cage. You will want to be sure that they get along in the neutral area for a few hours before moving them to the cage.

Nipping, chasing, rumblestrutting, chattering, etc is all normal while they're determining the pecking order. Let them go through this process and do not separate unless significant blood is drawn. Even a roll around fight won't necessarily draw blood. Some things are hard to watch and listen to but you must let them sort it out on their own.

Did you quarantine the new pig?

amani

Cavy Slave
No blood drawn and yes she was quarantined. Does that mean i have to change fleece because I don't have another right now. Thanks for all your help.

vicky2

Cavy Slave
If there was no blood, leave them together and just keep an eye. Only remove them if there is blood.

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
No blood drawn and yes she was quarantined. Does that mean i have to change fleece because I don't have another right now. Thanks for all your help.

Don't introduce or place them all together in a cage on fleece that is not clean. If you are going to re-introduce things need to be cleaned.

If there is no blood drawn leave them together, so if you re-introduce them do not separate them unless you see blood.

Also, if you do not clean things properly, it can cause problems with the introduction so please take the time to clean everything well.

fieryone

Cavy Slave

Yes. You will need to wash the fleece and under bedding as well as wipe down the cage and all toys/hideys with vinegar & water before putting the pigs back in the cage. If you don't then you're putting the new pig in non-neutral territory and just asking for a fight.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.