Thanks
    23 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Diarrhea

Quote Originally Posted by Freind View Post
    . New development: today I notice that when we put her out of the cage she eat really good and my wife also confirm the same. Can you tell why is that, may be she don't like the bedding or anything because I'm using the papper bedding and her previous owner was using pine.

An advise from all: It is my strong feeling that if she got any company she may get better. She don't move a muscle for hours. There is 2nd floor in her cage but she never got there, infect 99% of time I saw her on back/right of the cage. So I feel that if I got her a freind she may hang around with her and when she hang around she may become hungry. I understand that you all also have concern about my condition, but I just need an advise that what I'm thinking is workable or just my imagination, Thanks.
    If she eats better when she isn't in the cage, then take her out and feed her as often as you can! The more she eats the better. And keep offering her greens every day, eventually she will start liking some of them.

I really don't know what to say about the bedding other than if the previous owner was using air dried pine instead of kiln dried pine, then this is very bad for the piggie and can cause disestive problems, which can then cause teeth problems. So maybe this is why your piggie is having a hard time. There are oils in the pine that are not good for piggies and kiln drying is supposed to remove the oils.

What kind of paper bedding are you using? Maybe she doesn't like it. I put newspapers in the kitchen area of my cage about a week after I got my piggies and Kerri was really freaked out by it. She immediately started going in there to pee, but was scared of us, which she wasn't before just really skittish. It made me think that her previous owner had her in a newspaper lined cage, and possibly mistreated her. She is still skittish, but much more opened to us now. Have you considered fleece?

As for a friend for her, yes, she might do better if she had a friend to spend time with, but remember that although the cost for housing and feeding a second pig are minimal, the second could potentially create more vet bills. I would ask at the vets office what the price difference is if you bring in 2 piggies.

Some vets charge a flat fee for the visit, and allow multiple pigs to be brought in together at no additional cost. This is what mine does and I usually take both in, even if only one is sick, because it stresses them out to be separated. My vet examines and weighs both, and then spends more time with the sick piggie. They will also clip their nails if I ask, since I have a hard time doing it at home. I can't get my kids to hold the pig still or clip the nails, and I can't do both at the same time!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    194 Rec'd/128 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That is the right way of thinking, Friend. If she had a friend she would certainly be more active and encouraged to eat more. She would be happy and feel more secure.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna&Kerri View Post
    the bedding other than if the previous
    I'm using paper bedding of petco brand with backing soda. I got a bag of pine last week. Is there anyway I can know that the pine still have the oil.

What is fleece bedding and from where I can get it.

To clip the nail do I need any special kind of clipper or I can use regular house hold clip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbeat View Post
    If she had a friend she would certainly be more active and encouraged to eat more.
    Thanks you.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    110 Rec'd/63 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm using paper bedding of petco brand with backing soda. I got a bag of pine last week. Is there anyway I can know that the pine still have the oil.

What is fleece bedding and from where I can get it.

To clip the nail do I need any special kind of clipper or I can use regular house hold clip.
    Thanks you.
    You can use regular clippers like these:
    http://www.manorlakelabradoodles.com...20CLIPPERS.jpg

Fleece bedding is one layer of fleece on top and towels on the bottom.
    The fleece needs to be:
    100% Polyester
    Washed 3 times without fabric softener

Never use fabric softener on your fleece.

Here is an example of good fleece to use:
    Anti Pill Fleece Fabric - MANY COLORS*: fleece fabric*: fabric*: Shop | Joann.com

Once the fleece is washed 3 times, as long as it doesn't touch any fabric softener, it will need to be washed only once a week.

Two-Three layers of towels would work well under the fleece.

Fleece must be swept every day to keep it clean.

Fleece is available at fabric stores or even walmart has fleece.

Does your pine say kiln dried?

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Ly&Pigs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5,431 Rec'd/1,918 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Don't feed cayenne pepper leaves.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieMae View Post
    Does your pine say kiln dried?
    On the packing it is mentioned and I also called the munufacturer (Callaway Farms) and they also confirm that. Are you guys familier with this brand?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ly&Pigs View Post
    Don't feed cayenne pepper leaves.
    Okay. Do you know anything about St. Augustine. I mean is it good for her and have all the things which Timothy have. Can you please advise what should I do so she started eathing hay and pallets by herself. Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    110 Rec'd/63 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

On the packing it is mentioned and I also called the munufacturer (Callaway Farms) and they also confirm that. Are you guys familier with this brand?
    I am not familiar with that brand. However if it is kiln dried it should be okay to use.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello everyone,
    I have found 2 farms around 77 miles away and they are selling Bermuda and Bahaia hay. I called them for the quality and they told me that it is not green and 2 months old and process for cow and horses. So is this type is okay and healthy and provide everything what Timothy and do GP like these type? Pls Advise.
    And is it anyway I could get hay and pallet sample of Kleenmamas Brand?
    Thanks you

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Duffinvt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    335 Rec'd/208 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Hello everyone,
    I have found 2 farms around 77 miles away and they are selling Bermuda and Bahaia hay. I called them for the quality and they told me that it is not green and 2 months old and process for cow and horses. So is this type is okay and healthy and provide everything what Timothy and do GP like these type? Pls Advise.
    And is it anyway I could get hay and pallet sample of Kleenmamas Brand?
    Thanks you
    Gee, I would not want you to go that far, only to have your guinea pig refuse the hay. I have gotten four or five bales of hay before I found one that my guinea pigs like (from different farms). All the farms are local and some of the hay was free.. I did not have to travel far at all to get it. Do you have a riding stable nearby? Maybe they'd sell you a small amount of good horse hay. I don't buy Kleenmama now, but maybe (?) she'd send you a small amount to try or perhaps another member here could send you a sample.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah there is one very near to me and in last 7 days I went there almost 14 times but no one is availbe just the horses and donkeys. So I left my ph no and some lady call me and she I ask her if she can sell me a little hay but she did't as she just work there and go there just to feed the kattles. And her boss comes once in a week to deliver the hay and his times and dates are not fixed :(

Thanks
    Thanks
    248 Rec'd/181 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello again! Here's the link to Kleenmama's: Kleenmama's Hayloft :: Home

and here's her email address: [email protected]
    or
    [email protected]

If you email Linda (Kleenmama) and explain that you have a sick and fussy guinea pig who won't eat hay and pellets, maybe she would sell you a very small quantity of them? It's worth a try, anyway!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    194 Rec'd/128 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here are two of my blog posts about finding local hay, I hope this helps you:
    Tasha's Tails: Writings from Amy and her cavies: hay

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sirene View Post
    If you email Linda (Kleenmama)
    Thanks, I already mailed her at it cost $12.50 for the sample.
    Here are two of my blog posts about finding local hay, I hope this helps you:
    Thanks, But it didn't gave me any local suppliers :(

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    86 Rec'd/66 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks, I already mailed her at it cost $12.50 for the sample.
    Thanks, But it didn't gave me any local suppliers :(
    See if there are any FARMER'S CO-OPs in your area. They will either sell you baled hay, or can give you the name of a farmer that will. A bale is going to run anywhere between $2 and $10 and if stored correctly will last you about 6 months or longer. She should be able to get easy access to it. She will also burrow and sleep in it, which is fine because you will have plenty. You will need a clean, dry place to store it. You are going to need several large cardboard boxes. Cut lots of holes in them and break the hay into smaller portions to go in the boxes. She should be eating a hand full of hay or more a day. Try and get the greenest you can, because it will last longer. Make sure you open it up and allow lots of air to flow through it. Otherwise it will mold in the middles.

If there are no CO-OPs in your area, order the Kleenmamas. You needed hay two weeks ago.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks you. The nearest farm is 60 miles away but they all selling bahia hay. So my question is that is Bahia hay is a good alternate of Timothy? and do it provide all nourishment which Timothy hay have and also trim the GP theaths. If anyone know anything about this hay, please advise at your earliest.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanks
    248 Rec'd/181 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello! I don't know about bahia hay, I'm sorry. Any type of hay will help to keep the pig's teeth from growing too long.
    Do you know if this feed store is still in business? It looks like it might be near you, and perhaps they could help you find some hay:
    Double M Feed Garden-Pet Supply - Pet Supplies and Equipment - Double M Feed Pet Supply
    3212 West Esplanade Avenue, Metairie - (504) 835-9800

How is Ariel doing? What is she eating now?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    194 Rec'd/128 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have heard bahia hay mentioned here before and I'm pretty sure it's a safe grass hay.

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Duffinvt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    335 Rec'd/208 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

By the time you spend the money to go there, you might as well buy a small amount of KM hay. It is the best and your pig will probably love it !

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    268 Rec'd/159 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

All of Kleenmama's hay is great but I would recommend 3rd cut timothy hay personally. It's the softest hay that I've tried. My pigs will eat any of her hay and have a hard time eating anything else now, but they seem to prefer the 3rd cut. And the pellets? My pigs LOVE them! My male will leave his veggies for these pellets if I fill the bowl while they're eating veggies.

Has she gone all this time without hay? If so, that's not acceptable and you need to get some now. Today. From anywhere.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sirene View Post
    Hello!How is Ariel doing? What is she eating now?
    I have tried all of these stores and they also carry Oxbow, but nothing work. Arial is doing fine she is eating the vagies and fruits but not hay and pallets. I'm feeding her very small pieces of hay by putting them in a syring and pallets as well but she is not eating by herself. From last 2 days I noticed that she don't want to eat orange so instead of water, I'm mixing fresh orange juice with criticle care in order to privide her daily Vitamin C. So am I doing a right thing?

I have heard bahia hay mentioned here before and I'm pretty sure it's a safe grass hay.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffinvt View Post
    By the time you spend the money to go there, you might as well buy a small amount of KM hay. It is the best and your pig will probably love it !
    I understand, but if I'm sure if she will eat it then I'll not wait for a single day.

Quote Originally Posted by fieryone View Post
    Has she gone all this time without hay? If so, that's not acceptable and you need to get some now. Today. From anywhere.
    Just a little. I'm able to find some sample of the KM hay. One of our forum member is sending me some hay. I don't want to mention her name as I'm not sure if she like it or not, but she is so kind and carring and I'm really thankfull to her. Once I'll receive the hay and if my Arial like that I'm gonna order it right away :)

User Tag List