Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lump Foster Pigs with some issues!!!

Guineapigslave

Cavy Slave
I just agreed to foster 2 guinea pigs that were not cared for correctly and I just realized that one of them has a large lump right under the chin. I have read that as long as it isn't causing omfot or growing in size that it isn't a problem.

But that's not all, she doesn't seem to walk unless she has to for food, she weighs a lot and it seems like her back legs are more or less useless, is this a lack of vitamin C and can this problem be reversed?

They were both supposedly born in the same litter but one weighs 200 grams less than the other so that alarms me. She weighs 650 while the other is a hefty 850. The previous owner has told me that they are about a year old and 650 grams at one year concerns me.

Keep in mind that I definately plan on taking them to the vet, but I'm also interested in what you think about these problems. I would like feedback to give to the vet so I can actually have an intelligent conversation lol.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
A large lump under the chin is almost always a problem. In my experience those lumps are usually abscesses, sometimes enlarged lymph nodes. It definitely need to be cultured to see exactly what it is, and removed in it's entirety or lanced and drained.

I doubt if it's a lack of C, since the other pig seems untroubled by it and if they were together they'd get the same diet.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
The lame legs could be from scurvy or arthritis or an injury. You think she may have been dropped at some point?

An x ray may be helpful.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.