Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Stores We dont know the sex of the animal?!

Ashpie

Cavy Slave
So i thought this was so unbelievable that i had to share.

My boyfriend, friend, and I went to a pet store because our friend had to get crickets for his torantula (sp?) and of course I had to go look at the little furry animals. Once over there i see some hamsters together and some degus (what are they? :confused:) together.

Then i read on the wall, "We are unable to confirm the sex of any animal".

So why are they together??!!!!!???!!! If they dont know what sex they are WHY are they in the same cage.... baffles me.

It isn't uncommon for them to be mixed up. Lots of pet store animals come home pregnant.

However, I believe what they are trying to say is they will not guarantee the sex of the animals because they don't want to be held responsible for mix ups should you adopt a pregnant animal and/or a male and female thinking they are the same sex.

This also gives you a glimpse at the lack of expertise and training that pet store employees often have.

Maybe it's their way of posting a disclaimer in case one is pregnant, gets pregnant, or can get something pregnant? Maybe they just tried their best and are hoping for the best. Maybe it's their way of wiping their hands clean of any responsibility. petstores...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just another classic example of why to boycott petstores and not purchase any animals in them.

When I worked at a pet store we could separate the sexes of animals, but not put up any signs(not even on the back of the cage) so there really was no point in doing it. Yeah I kept them all separated on the day I worked but the person who worked the next day just mixed them all up again(mainly my supervisor). I even made print outs of how to sex the different animals to put on the back of the cages, but the supervisor wouldn't put them up.

I remember one shipment of mice I unloaded; 28 females and 2 males, needless to say in a few weeks we had over 200 baby mice. The holding room was full of mouse tanks from the floor to the ceiling, it was sad.

So i thought this was so unbelievable that i had to share.

My boyfriend, friend, and I went to a pet store because our friend had to get crickets for his torantula (sp?) and of course I had to go look at the little furry animals. Once over there i see some hamsters together and some degus (what are they? :confused:) together.

Then i read on the wall, "We are unable to confirm the sex of any animal".

So why are they together??!!!!!???!!! If they dont know what sex they are WHY are they in the same cage.... baffles me.

I have one that's even better. By the way, this happened before I realized how terrible it was to buy from pet stores. So, I saw these amazing little guinea pigs at PJ's Pets and I just had to get two. I wanted to make sure that they were the same sex, so one of the sales people called over this "sexing expert" to determine the sex of the piggies that I was interested in buying. She picked each one up, awkwardly poked around and declared their sex (with confidence I might add). So, I picked out two girls and went home. I looked up "how to determine the sex of your guinea pig" online and did my own investigating. GUESS WHAT?! TWO BOYS! That's right! It took me -a person who's never even tried to sex guinea pigs before- 20 minutes to learn how to sex a guinea pig, and this idiot at the store was just PRETENDING. Disgusting. Oh, the piggies had URIs and mites too. These people are unscrupulous. Even though I love my piggies, I will NEVER buy pets from a pet store again. :mad:

I saw a PREGNANT cavy at a pet store, IN THE BOY CAGE, (no wonder she was pregnant!) uhg!!!!!!! I had a LONG talk with the petstore lady!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.