Thanks
    Thanks
    115 Rec'd/78 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Re: Dwarf Rabbit Information?

Lionhead Rabbits are really furry around their heads, like a mane of a lion.

Angora rabbits are fluffy all over, they can look like a giant ball of fur.

Yes you'd need to brush an Angora rabbit everyday or they will get matted and have knots.

Thanks
    Thanks
    115 Rec'd/78 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Sorry to answer your question about pellets, I find my rabbits rarely ever finish their pellets. I put just a regular sized scoop (maybe 1/4 cup) in their dish and they don't touch them very often, so I really don't know what the proper amount is. My pigs I measure out because they'd eat way more than necessary but the rabbits have never had an issue with over eating them. They eat their hay and veggies the most.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    132 Rec'd/80 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks. He has a fluffy mane, but his coat overall is different than Romeo's. Maybe he's a mix? I'll try and get a pic of him (must find that camera).

Well, Romeo eats all of his pellets. I give him three table spoons in the morning - a little is left over at dinner and then I give him four table spoons at night, and in the morning it is empty. I tried to weigh Riley. He didn't really like it. I need to get a better scale, anyway. So how much food should he be getting? I read that Lionhead rabbits are a type of compact rabbit, so apparently dwarfs/smaller breeds should get a little bit more than larger rabbits because of their energy?

Sorry for all the questions - I just like to be well informed and on House Rabbit Association I found nothing.

Thanks
    Thanks
    115 Rec'd/78 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

The most common thing I've read is 1 ounce of pellets for every pound your rabbit weighs.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    194 Rec'd/128 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lionheads have fur, whereas Angoras have wool. An Angora does need daily brushing and regular clipping.
    As for pellets, I know some fosterers who give all of their bunnies unlimited pellets with no issues. I think if you give them a generous helping each morning or evening, that should suffice for both of them.

Also, congratulations for a wonderful first-intro bond! I wish all of them were that easy.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    194 Rec'd/128 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brindyzoeycandy View Post
    Thanks. He has a fluffy mane, but his coat overall is different than Romeo's. Maybe he's a mix? I'll try and get a pic of him (must find that camera).
    According to a few seasoned angora breeders I have talked to "mixes" of an angora and a regular-furred rabbit produces a regular-furred rabbit. Both rabbits must have a certain gene to produce an angora, which makes me think it's recessive.

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    239 Rec'd/161 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

On the pellets; the general rule of thumb on a rabbit forum I am a member on, is 1/8th of a cup per rabbit. Their reasoning is that less pellets encourages them to eat more hay. My two are different ages but they both are on 1/4 of a cup each. I have begun to slowly wean this back - and now opt to handfeed some as it encourages interaction with me! I personally tend to follow the HRS guidelines as a general rule.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    194 Rec'd/128 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pigsforlife View Post
    On the pellets; the general rule of thumb on a rabbit forum I am a member on, is 1/8th of a cup per rabbit. Their reasoning is that less pellets encourages them to eat more hay. My two are different ages but they both are on 1/4 of a cup each. I have begun to slowly wean this back - and now opt to handfeed some as it encourages interaction with me! I personally tend to follow the HRS guidelines as a general rule.
    HRS guidelines actually are 1/2 cup per 6lbs of rabbit. I would not feed 1/8th, or even 1/4 cup per rabbit--unless your rabbits weigh 3lbs--because that is too little.
    In my opinion it depends on the rabbit. I feed my dutch/dwarf [4.5lbs] mix about 1/3rd cup of pellets, and my bigger mix [about 6lbs] 1/3rd of a cup plus a handful of alfalfa-based hay stretcher, to help her maintain her weight, as she has recently lost a lot of weight [intentional, she was obese].

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    239 Rec'd/161 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbeat View Post
    HRS guidelines actually are 1/2 cup per 6lbs of rabbit. I would not feed 1/8th, or even 1/4 cup per rabbit--unless your rabbits weigh 3lbs--because that is too little.
    In my opinion it depends on the rabbit. I feed my dutch/dwarf [4.5lbs] mix about 1/3rd cup of pellets, and my bigger mix [about 6lbs] 1/3rd of a cup plus a handful of alfalfa-based hay stretcher, to help her maintain her weight, as she has recently lost a lot of weight [intentional, she was obese].
    Charlee weighs a little less than 3lbs. I dont know what Noah weighs as he hasn't had an appointment with my vet yet (though he is over 2kgs as my kitchen scales only go this high). I would put him at about 5lbs. I do understand that HRS guidelines are a little higher than what I feed, but these are just guidelines that should be adapted to each individual bun. They are both at ideal weights for their bodyshape at the moment so I don't really see the need to adjust their intake. Saying this, I have been hesitant to reduce the amount I was giving them as Noah is slightly bigger than Charlee so would need more..but I have been also working on the rule of thumb that the rabbit forum works on. I think I will stick with my 1/4 of a cup per bun, then handfeed a little extra.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    132 Rec'd/80 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, I read on HRS that the amount should be 1/4-1/2 cup per bunny. I'm guessing that I should just stick to giving Romeo unlimited and Riley 1/4?

I have another question - sometimes, Romeo chases Riley, but then the next minute they are grooming/snuggling. (They just were grooming). Is this normal?

User Tag List