0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    49 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Blog Entries

Dog questions

Is playing tug-of-war games with dogs bad for them? I have a 8-10 month old jack russel pup and he always wants me to play tug-of-wag with him. He comes up to me and keeps dropping the rope/toy thing at my feet until I do. I think I read somewhere that playing that game with dogs can damage their mouths and make them vicious. He already is abit vicious to be honest. (Don't worry, I'm not abusing him!)

Also, do those flea collars really work? I tryed flea sprays on him but they just seem to irritate his skin. I have it on him a couple of days now and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. It just smells really bad. Its meant to last four months?

Thanks and hello! I didn't post in awhile. I don't have my guinea pigs anymore but I still have a browse on the site.

Cavy Caged
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    39 Rec'd/30 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Dog questions

I use a pill called comfortis, My vet said a lot of fleas are becoming immune to flea medicines. He said comfortis is the top one right now for completely getting rid of fleas.

It's 16$ for one pill though!
    But that's cause my basset hound is 50lbs+
    A jack russel would not be that much, Ask your vet if he has that medicine, Or frontline works great too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/53 Posts

Playing tug of war isn't bad for them or will teach them bad manners. It's a good way to release all that extra energy. I just make sure not to tug too hard or lift him up in the air w/ it.

Don't use the flea collars. They don't really work. What I've used for the last year and a half for fleas is Brewer's Yeast w/ garlic. I get a large bottle from Walmart (I'm not sure where they'd sell them in Ireland) and give Pepper 3 tablets when it's hot outside. Not only does it work but it's WAY cheaper than buying the stuff from the vets.

There's a pretty good dog site that I like called DogAddicts. They have alot of good people experienced w/ dog care. Here's the link: DogAddicts.com - Index

4. "Thank you, JennG, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    49 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JennG View Post
    Playing tug of war isn't bad for them or will teach them bad manners. It's a good way to release all that extra energy. I just make sure not to tug too hard or lift him up in the air w/ it.

Don't use the flea collars. They don't really work. What I've used for the last year and a half for fleas is Brewer's Yeast w/ garlic. I get a large bottle from Walmart (I'm not sure where they'd sell them in Ireland) and give Pepper 3 tablets when it's hot outside. Not only does it work but it's WAY cheaper than buying the stuff from the vets.

There's a pretty good dog site that I like called DogAddicts. They have alot of good people experienced w/ dog care. Here's the link: DogAddicts.com - Index
    Extra enegry? Jackson always has energy!
    Thanks for the tip! I'm going to try that.
    That site is great, I was looking for a good dog website/forum for ages. I already spent too much time looking at all the cute dog pictures....
    Last edited by xoLauraox09; 06-13-10 at 04:08 pm. Reason: Spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    341 Rec'd/198 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xoLauraox09 View Post
    Is playing tug-of-war games with dogs bad for them? I have a 8-10 month old jack russel pup and he always wants me to play tug-of-wag with him. He comes up to me and keeps dropping the rope/toy thing at my feet until I do. I think I read somewhere that playing that game with dogs can damage their mouths and make them vicious. He already is abit vicious to be honest. (Don't worry, I'm not abusing him!)
    Tug-of-war is fine with the right toy. Tug-of-war should never be a fun thing to do on shirts and other things you don't want him to play with. A couple toys are fine to tug on, but make sure he knows that those are the only things he can play with like that. My dog likes to play a little tug-of-war with his dear squeaking football. Fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/53 Posts

Pepper (who's a 40lb black lab/chow mix) love to play tug of war w/ her rope toys & these fleece ropes that they sell over here.

My mom has a JRT mix who's almost a year old. It's fun to watch her get the zoomies. Have you head of Kong toys? They're great toys to give to dogs that need some extra stimulation. Here's the website to take a look at: KONG Company - Your Pet Will Love You For It We have a few we give Pepper when we're going to be gone all day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    341 Rec'd/198 Posts
    Blog Entries

The football I talked about: Air Kong Squeaker Football. My dog would die if he didn't have it. He loves his football to death! Kong has a whole bunch of squeaky toys, so if you can put up with the noise, they are lots of fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    27 Rec'd/26 Posts

I have seen and read about playing tug of war with dogs. The issue that was stated was that some dogs will think they are dominating you, especially if they win.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

tug of war does tend to make dogs a bit vicious, my sister played with hers like that all the time when he was a puppy. Now he tries to bite everyone, and when he was a puppy before she started that he was very sweet. but playing tug of war isn't always the same with all dogs, my Pomeranian plays like that some and he doesn't have a mean bone in his body.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,544 Rec'd/593 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xoLauraox09 View Post

Also, do those flea collars really work? I tryed flea sprays on him but they just seem to irritate his skin. I have it on him a couple of days now and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. It just smells really bad. Its meant to last four months?

Thanks and hello! I didn't post in awhile. I don't have my guinea pigs anymore but I still have a browse on the site.
    Playing tug doesn't make dogs vicious, but it does make them quite pumped up. Here's a good article on how to make it a good bonding experience for you - and note a large part of that is putting the darn thing away, and YOU being the one in charge of when he gets to play it. Tug O' War is a Fun Game to Play With Your Dog

I've never tried a flea collar - Frontline Plus works great though.

12. "Thank you, blackarrow, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    100 Rec'd/95 Posts
    Blog Entries

Frontline Plus is the best. But they're discouvering garlic isn't good for dogs especially
    if they're sick.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    66 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    166 Rec'd/116 Posts

Dawn Dish soap is really good for getting rid of fleas, it's mostly used on puppies + kittens who are too young for regular flea treatments but works on adult dogs too and is better than sprays, collars (collars are especially bad, they *don't* work and can cause severe problems in dogs + cats).

I use Revolution for a monthly treatment.

Tug-of-war is fine, but I'd ease back and not play too hard whilst his bones + teeth are still developing. Terries nip to, if you don't fix that now it could become a bigger problem in the future. If he nips you, for whatever reason, yelp like a puppy. Don't flail, don't yell, don't touch him. Just yelp and turn away. He'll learn that 1)he's hurting you and 2) he doesn't get any attention.

The 'dogs are dominating you if they win' is an outdated philosophy. Dogs know they are dogs and they know that we aren't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    211 Rec'd/125 Posts
    Blog Entries

Tug-of-War is fine to play as long as you start early with training and teaching "manners". Our puppy had a hard time adjusting the the fact that we could not play with her every time that she wanted to. She bit us often, but with the proper training, she has eased back. Sometimes it is tough for dogs to distinguish when it is play time, where some things are more acceptable, and when it is not, where some behaviors are inappropriate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,544 Rec'd/593 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flssgrl View Post
    I have seen and read about playing tug of war with dogs. The issue that was stated was that some dogs will think they are dominating you, especially if they win.
    Eh, it's a bunch of baloney. Dogs like tug because it's interactive. "Winning" the thing being tugged on means that the game is over. (Witness dogs who get the thing away from you immediately then trying to drop it in your lap - it's not about possession, it's about the play.) It will not teach or encourage dogs to bite people - dogs already know how to bite people - it GIVES them something to bite that is appropriate to bite so that they don't feel as compelled to bite something that is NOT appropriate (such as your pant leg!) If there is tooth-to-person or person's clothes contact, whether accidental or deliberate, during the game of tug, the game ends - dogs quickly learn not to do it again.

Any dog can get obsessive about a favorite activity, though, and I would encourage mixing it up with other games, such as fetch, as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    26 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Blog Entries

My vet said that the only thing flea collars are good for are for sticking them in your vacuum cleaner bag when you're vacuuming to help kill them. But as far as on your pet, they don't do any good at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/53 Posts

Here's a link to the supplement I use for Pepper: Brewer's Yeast - Dog Healthcare Products - Propet Cybervet.com It's not got garlic in it like I thought. It says it has Omega-3 fatty acids & B-complex vitamins. I think the older version had garlic in it.

User Tag List