Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits how to get rabbit to stop digging up litter pan

mmas4

Cavy Slave
One of my bunnies, Minnie, keeps digging in her litter pan and she gets hay and bedding everywhere. Is there a way to make her stop?

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
Not really. She is a rabbit and rabbits dig. You can encourage her to do it elsewhere, House Rabbit Society Rabbit Care Guide and (broken link removed) suggest a "digging box," which is a cardboard box filled with newspaper shreddings or other diggable material but the numerous bunnies I have tried this with just use it for a litter box.
One of my foster rabbits finds joy in digging all of the towels out of her kennel carrier. I stuff it with towels whenever I find that she has pulled all of them out.
Does she have toys? Multiple kinds of toys? Rabbits are highly intelligent and get bored easily, reverting to "rabbity behaviors" like chewing and digging where they shouldn't be.
Try giving her some towels just on the floor of her cage. She will probably enjoy digging in them and playing with them.

mmas4

Cavy Slave
She has tons of toys, and I have tried a digging box with shredded paper and she didnt dig in it. I gave her a blanket to dig in and she wont dig in that either. I will try the towels.

JennG

Cavy Slave
I give Buddy a scratch piece of fleece which he seems to enjoy digging and biting on. This seems to have helped him. Is she spayed? I'm not sure but maybe (if she's not) she's hormonally digging/nesting. Does that make sense??

mmas4

Cavy Slave
Yes she is spayed. I just put the hay in a big food bowl and she stopped digging in the litter pan. I guess it was the hay she liked to dig in. I will have to make her a digging bow filled with hay and hopefully she wont pee in it.

JennG

Cavy Slave
You know what I use for Buddy's hay box? I used a large tissue box. I just made sure to remove all the plastic and fill it w/ hay. He's never chewed the box up but he seems to like it better.

mmas4

Cavy Slave
I will try that but I think it will get chewed up in a matter of minutes, Minnie is also a chewer, but you never know unless you try.

JennG

Cavy Slave
Well I've also bought some unfinished pieces of wood (such as a train, the letter B-for Buddy) for him to chew on. He's such a kook. Our biggest problem w/ Buddy is his cage aggression which we continue to work on.

mmas4

Cavy Slave
Where do you get unfinished peices of wood?

JennG

Cavy Slave
Any craft places or in the craft areas of a store like Walmart.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
Where do you get unfinished peices of wood?

You can also purchase great limber at home improvement stores, like Lowe's. They have an entire showroom section for just wood. You'll have more choices on types of wood and sizes. It also tends to be a better quality.

JennG

Cavy Slave
Now why didn't I think of that. Good idea SF186!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.