Thanks
    Thanks
    26 Rec'd/16 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

my mother and my cage

So I made a C&C cage a little while ago and everything was going great until my mom had to clean out the cage one day and decided(for me) that Joy could no longer stay in that cage because of her feet(as mentioned in previous thread). She is in her pet store page right now (It's not like the ones in all the pictures, it's about a 1x3, so it's not too bad, but still small.
    Her C&C cage is 2X3 with 1X3 kitchen so size wasn't an issue with her feet, but we concluded it was because she stepped in it while she was sleeping. The C&C had fleece in it. I think this also contributed to the feet issue. But once I put her in the other cage I haven't seen this problem and I think it's because of the different bedding, she has aspen in this one.
    SOO I proposed that we would reduce the cage size to a 2X3 to reduce the amount of bedding, and then to attempt to litter train her to reduce the amount to a more confined area. But my mom rejected it saying that she didn't want any bedding in my room. So I don't know what to do anymore. I don't want her to stay in the petstore one, but I don't want her to suffer because of her feet. :?

AND! Any tips about little training would be awesome!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    211 Rec'd/125 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: my mother and my cage

I do not understand why it is such a problem for a guinea pig to step in its poop... It's not a health issue (correct me if I am wrong), so why does it matter? And why should it result in the reduction of the size of her cage?

3. "Thank you, SFailed186, for this useful post," says:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    194 Rec'd/128 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sfailed, I'm right there with you. I don't quite understand what's the issue is in this thread or with pigs stepping in poo in general.

ZebraXqueen, what is the issue with your pig's feet? Could you at least post a link to your other thread?

Thanks
    Thanks
    26 Rec'd/16 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Because the poo got stuck on her feet and hardened which made it uncomfortable for walking and well, theres poo stuck on her feet, so yes, I would consider it a health issue.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    211 Rec'd/125 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zebraXqueen View Post
    Because the poo got stuck on her feet and hardened which made it uncomfortable for walking and well, theres poo stuck on her feet, so yes, I would consider it a health issue.
    The poop will not harm her. As people said in your other thread, you just need to wash her feet daily. Yes, it COULD be uncomfortable if nothing was done about it, but washing will solve the problem. To clarify, it won't keep her from stepping in it, but it will allow her to be more comfortable. That is all that needs to be done, not reducing her cage.

Original Thread:
    http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...oopy-feet.html

Thanks
    Thanks
    26 Rec'd/16 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I already do that, I still think it's gross and would rather not have her or me deal with it. But I already have that done, and it's not the point of the thread.
    The question I wanted to know was that if there anyone had suggestions to what I could do because I don't know.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    211 Rec'd/125 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

The question I wanted to know was that if there anyone had suggestions to what I could do because I don't know.
    Keep her in the C&C cage, I suggest on fleece, and continue washing her feet. Litter training her is not going to change the fact that she is walking around on her poop. You can't stop her from doing it. Also, keeping her in a pet store cage will make it worse because she is in a MUCH smaller area. Guinea pigs are not the cleanest animals, you should have thought about that BEFORE you decided to get her.

9. "Thank you, SFailed186, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    26 Rec'd/16 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have and did, and I got her several years ago. I'm not some 6 year old, I'm responsible and I KNOW how to take care of my guinea pig. Don't tell me that I don't.
    I never said that litter training would completely resolve the issue, only that it would help in reducing the amount that she walked in.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    211 Rec'd/125 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I have and did,
    Apparently not... That's my OPINION.

Don't tell me that I don't.
    When did I ever say that you don't? Please quote me where I said that.

I never said that litter training would completely resolve the issue, only that it would help in reducing the amount that she walked in.
    I also never stated that you said that. Again, please quote me (good luck). Also, how would it help? I am pretty sure that it would make it worse considering the fact that she has to get in a pan full of her poops in order to go to the bathroom, if you could even get her litter trained in the first place. Do you think her stepping in a big pile would lessen the amount on her feet?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    60 Rec'd/43 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ask your mom again why the C&C cage is an issue (because it may not be the 'stepping in poop' issue exactly), and why is she cleaning the cage for you?

Thanks
    Thanks
    30 Rec'd/21 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

How often did you clean her cage when it had the fleece that she had poop stuck to her feet?

I'm ashamed to admit it but with work, kids, grandkids and other issues of life, the girls have gone maybe once or twice a couple days too long before their cage is cleaned out an they've never had poop stuck their feet.

I'd stay with the fleece, clean it more often and keep her in the bigger cage. JMO

Thanks
    Thanks
    26 Rec'd/16 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

(Moved to thread below)
    Last edited by zebraXqueen; 06-12-10 at 09:40 pm.

Thanks
    Thanks
    26 Rec'd/16 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tabikat55 View Post
    How often did you clean her cage when it had the fleece that she had poop stuck to her feet?

I'm ashamed to admit it but with work, kids, grandkids and other issues of life, the girls have gone maybe once or twice a couple days too long before their cage is cleaned out an they've never had poop stuck their feet.

I'd stay with the fleece, clean it more often and keep her in the bigger cage. JMO
    I clean her cage every day when I get home from school at about 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kipsie View Post
    Ask your mom again why the C&C cage is an issue (because it may not be the 'stepping in poop' issue exactly), and why is she cleaning the cage for you?
    She cleaned the cage for me because I was away.

Quote Originally Posted by SFailed186 View Post
    I also never stated that you said that. Again, please quote me (good luck). Also, how would it help? I am pretty sure that it would make it worse considering the fact that she has to get in a pan full of her poops in order to go to the bathroom, if you could even get her litter trained in the first place. Do you think her stepping in a big pile would lessen the amount on her feet?

Okay so before you said that I shouldn't lessen the size of her cage. My piggie is nearing 7 or 8 years old, and she doesn't do much beside eat, sleep, and poo. She had a corner that she slept in, and then it would be a beeline to the kitchen area. So by having the kitchen area at the end, I don't really think it would be a problem for her.
    You never said that but that's what I got from your words. Sorry, I seem to have a short temper today :/

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    194 Rec'd/128 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Also, how would it help? I am pretty sure that it would make it worse considering the fact that she has to get in a pan full of her poops in order to go to the bathroom, if you could even get her litter trained in the first place. Do you think her stepping in a big pile would lessen the amount on her feet?
    I agree with this. Litter training is not an easy task, hardest part is getting even half if not the majority of the pig's poops to end up in the box. It seems like it wouldn't help keep poop off her feet by having her walk into/through a box of poop to go to the bathroom. It would be simpler to just clean her feet daily.
    By the way, a 1x3--which you said in your original post is what your pig is living in now--is half the minimum recommended space for one pig, that's not "not too bad", that's too small. And it is going to make your poopy-foot problem worse.
    Last edited by Silverbeat; 06-12-10 at 09:42 pm. Reason: clarification

17. "Thank you, Silverbeat, for this useful post," says:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    211 Rec'd/125 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Okay so before you said that I shouldn't lessen the size of her cage.
    She still deserves at least the minimum on this site. Even though she may not exercise OFTEN, she still might exercise when you are not around. In the 2x3 cage, she has to ability to do so as she pleases, but once you put her back in that horrid glorified litter box, she has not choice in the matter. Is that fair?

You never said that but that's what I got from your words. Sorry, I seem to have a short temper today :/
    I appreciate your apology, but you should not assume. That's not fair to any of the members, including myself, that are spending their free time trying to help you.

Thanks
    Thanks
    26 Rec'd/16 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

She still deserves at least the minimum on this site. Even though she may not exercise OFTEN, she still might exercise when you are not around. In the 2x3 cage, she has to ability to do so as she pleases, but once you put her back in that horrid glorified litter box, she has not choice in the matter. Is that fair?
    I understand that, that's why I'm trying to get the 2X3 to work. The petstore cage is very temporary until i can fix it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    211 Rec'd/125 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I understand that, that's why I'm trying to get the 2X3 to work. The petstore cage is very temporary until i can fix it.
    I do not understand what the problem with the 2x3 is...
    If it's the poop, then you cannot solve that by changing the size.
    The smaller it is, the worse the problem is.
    That's what doesn't make sense.

21. "Thank you, SFailed186, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would defiantly go with the fleece. Let your mom know that it will cost more upfront but it is way cheaper in the end. Get enough for at least 2 sets so you have another set when washing a set. With the fleece you can easily sweep up the poo 3 or 4 times a day so that will cut down on the available poo to step in. I'm sure it will be tough to convince your mom but maybe show her some info on cage size requirements so she will understand how important it is to keep your piggie in the c&c. I think it is a good for parents to be familiar with this forum also so they can understand the importance of proper housing. Sometime we older people don't know about the ever changing things that are learned about animals. When I was a kid they were just disposable little animals that people would lose interest in and keep in a small cage until they died. I still learn new thing everyday about by animals and I'm like wow that really makes sense. Good luck with your mom!

Thanks
    Thanks
    26 Rec'd/16 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I do not understand what the problem with the 2x3 is...
    If it's the poop, then you cannot solve that by changing the size.
    The smaller it is, the worse the problem is.
    That's what doesn't make sense.
    And the size change wasn't to deal with the poop, it was to cut back on the amount of bedding. And as I said before I haven't seen the poop issue with the aspen bedding. Why is fleece better than aspen?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    211 Rec'd/125 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

And the size change wasn't to deal with the poop, it was to cut back on the amount of bedding. And as I said before I haven't seen the poop issue with the aspen bedding. Why is fleece better than aspen?
    Oh, so the money is the reason that you can't give your guinea pig the minimum cage size... I'm glad that I understand that now.

Although the initial cost of fleece is some-what "expensive", it is only a one time cost. It is reusable and lasts pretty much as long as you need it, if you care for it properly.

User Tag List