Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables picky eaters?????

smiley222922

Cavy Slave
So Im trying to find some vegetables with great vitamins that are also very tasty...everytime i buys something really healthy my pigs don't want anything to do with them!

she does not like...
cillantro
green bell pepper
barely touches kale

the only really healthy thing she does like is spinage

id like to try out some diffrent things
do you guys want to share and big hits with your piggies that are healthy???

Flssgrl

Cavy Slave
My girls absolute favorite's right now are fresh grass, clover, corn husks and silks.

Faves given less often are dandelion greens, tomatoes, green beans and oranges.

I'm sure you know to be careful of the spinach.

Last edited:

GPGuy

Cavy Slave
Cukes, carrots, yellow/red/orange peppers, dill, fresh grass, green and romaine lettuce, apple.

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
How old are your guinea pigs?

I would suggest serving them in different ways and/or always having some fresh veggies available.

Stick to the basic green pepper and romaine lettuce. Offer them over and over again. Serve them cut up in long thin pieces for a while. Be consistent.

If they are over 6 months pull out their pellets for a while like maybe only give them at night and in the day leave some fresh veggies.

They will eat them and realize they love them. It just might take a while.

Also, stop feeding spinach. I don't feed it because they should have so little of it. However, they CAN have it in very small portions. I wouldn't feed it at all until they start eating bell peppers and lettuce however.

Good luck!

smiley222922

Cavy Slave
Cukes, carrots, yellow/red/orange peppers, dill, fresh grass, green and romaine lettuce, apple.

cukes, carrots, and apple are diarhea hazards so those are less often...im looking for everyday vitamin c lol

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If they are not used to eating veggies, you have to keep trying the same things over and over. It can take days to weeks to months to get pigs to eat new things.

Lettuces (all but iceburg), bell pepper and cilantro are daily items. I suggest feeding NOTHING but these three things daily in small amounts until they eat them. Then once they eat them, try one new food once or twice a week.

Spinach is not that healthy at all for pigs. It's better left out of the diet because it's through the roof in oxalic acid and is very high in Vitamin A.

smiley222922

Cavy Slave
thankyou (=

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Ly's advice really works. My piggies would not eat green peppers at first but now they do. You have to be patient and eventually they will eat the peppers. You can hand-feed them pepper strips to start them off in the morning, and soon they will get them from the dish by themselves. Get small, very fresh bright green bell peppers to get them used to the taste of peppers.

I never heard that cukes, carrots and apple are diarrhea hazards. I feed my piggies English cucumbers (and persian cucumbers which seem to be miniature English ones) when it is warm especially, to give them extra fluid. They are not big drinkers. The American cucumbers have waxed peels so I remove the peel if I feed those, but they are kind of tasteless for the piggies it seems. They don't gobble them like the other two kinds of cukes. They adore the peel on the English and Persian cukes, and sometimes nibble it all off first.

I thought the problem with carrots and apples is that they are too sweet for daily feeding.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Cucumber is very watery so it can cause diarrhea if fed too often and too much. Apples are a fruit and fruits need to be fed in moderation, meaning only a small piece once or twice a week. They are also acidic and can cause mouth sores if fed too often. Carrots are a treat type veggie that are best fed rarely. They are sugary, starchy and high in oxalic acid.

But carrots and apples are not a diarrhea hazard.

frillint

Cavy Slave
Yes, Ly is right. It took me a long time to get Amy to eat anything except green lettuce. She would not touch anything I put in her cage unless it was lettuce. I had to put other things in her cage for a about a month.

If they are not used to eating veggies, you have to keep trying the same things over and over. It can take days to weeks to months to get pigs to eat new things.

Lettuces (all but iceburg), bell pepper and cilantro are daily items. I suggest feeding NOTHING but these three things daily in small amounts until they eat them. Then once they eat them, try one new food once or twice a week.

Spinach is not that healthy at all for pigs. It's better left out of the diet because it's through the roof in oxalic acid and is very high in Vitamin A.

GPGuy

Cavy Slave
cukes, carrots, and apple are diarhea hazards so those are less often...im looking for everyday vitamin c lol

Correct, just tossing out some ideas of the different foods mine receive. It sounds as though you probably have a pretty good handle on what they need already.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.